Approved Member

Re: 2013 VINTAGE OFFROAD NATIONALS • SEPT 13-15TH

Post by Mark Westerfield »

Your truck will be fine.

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

Mark Westerfield wrote:Your truck will be fine.
there we go, a past vonats host.

thanks mark. i was pretty sure it would be good.

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

I'm going to be really honest here. There have been a number of the vonats where a fella shows up with, say, a XXT. Obviously not a truck that falls in the rules due to the 94 cutoff date. That's all he had. He was allowed to run. Nobody cared. That is the beauty of the Vonats. Come and join in the fun and you will be surprised how the "rule book" suddenly isnt so important anymore.

In fact, last year, a XXXT showed up to race in the 2wd truck class. He adhered to the electronics rule and was allowed to run. Didn't even make the A main.

With that being said, I am surely not advising to bring a B4 and claim thats all you have. At least try and adhere to the rules.

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

scr8p wrote:i think this needs to be added the classic rules like in the 2011 thread:

and older "race" buggies (original RC10, Ultima, Scorpion, Astute, etc). Race buggies must be run in original configuration (tranny, suspension, original size tires.

and by original size tires i do believe that meant "kit" type tires.

i was down in the r/c dungeon and i got to thinking, with the talk of the losi "natural" tires, the rc10 probably isn't the best choice for that class. that may change with the re-release since i believe the tires are supposed to be softer. but i was thinking...... there's no reason you couldn't run a tq10. 2.1 fronts, 2.0 rears, still a short arm rc10. the tq-76 and tq-20's are far better tires that those of the gold tub, and the tq-20's came in 3 different compounds.
I agree about the use of 2.1 fronts and 2.0 rears on the RC10 for classic class. After all, that is the size that the JRX2 ran stock and this car is allowed. I think that we should adhere to the use of vintage rubber with no inserts for the classic with race chassis. Losi still makes a 2.0" rear tire w/foam inserts that would probably do well on the track, and would give unfair advantage.

Regardless, I still plan on running the jellybean wheels and original tires. They look too cool.

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

Brandon G wrote:I'm going to be really honest here. There have been a number of the vonats where a fella shows up with, say, a XXT. Obviously not a truck that falls in the rules due to the 94 cutoff date. That's all he had. He was allowed to run. Nobody cared. That is the beauty of the Vonats. Come and join in the fun and you will be surprised how the "rule book" suddenly isnt so important anymore.

In fact, last year, a XXXT showed up to race in the 2wd truck class. He adhered to the electronics rule and was allowed to run. Didn't even make the A main.

With that being said, I am surely not advising to bring a B4 and claim thats all you have. At least try and adhere to the rules.

LOL that xxt came in last in the bmain, i think.

brandon is 100% right.

don't worry too much about the rules guys, bring your old car and have a good time!

Mark Westerfield
Approved Member

Post by Mark Westerfield »

The rule is, your car (and your mindset) needs to be in the spirit of racing vintage r/c cars.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

or you can show up with a car with a production date of 94 or earlier as the rules state and not have to worry about it. what a concept. :lol:

R/Cat
Approved Member

Post by R/Cat »

scr8p wrote:or you can show up with a car with a production date of 94 or earlier as the rules state and not have to worry about it. what a concept. :lol:
lol...exactly. IMO, what's the point of all these rules and classes if whatever you bring will be allowed as long as you claim "it's all I have?" We can all imagine how somebody might take advantage of that and just because somebody didn't win in the past doing it doesn't mean it should be allowed. I think that kind of nonchalant attitude towards following rules would quickly change the first time a guy breaking them actually won something not to mention it would call into question the integrity of the event.

As a new-comer, it's unfortunate to read that such a thing was allowed and I have to believe it will discourage some from spending the time and money required to travel and enter an event like this which defeats the whole purpose. I'm all in it for the fun but the "spirit" of racing anything including r/c cars (especially when folks are paying to participate) starts first and foremost with a strict adherence to rules that ensure fair competition. That allows people to trust the event and its organizers so they can relax and enjoy themselves. Without that it's thunderdome. :)

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

It must be tuff sitting in the technical inspection for this kind of event to decide and spot parts that is and isn’t allowed. And probably argue with some drivers to about release dates. :?
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

the rules are posted and enforced, but lets not get carried away.

cheating doesn't work at the vonats anyway because there are guys there that will smoke you with a frog or falcon. :lol:

i think the guy with the xxxt last year was a local and just showed up. they weren't going to turn him away, i think it might have been his first race ever.

as for release dates the only real issue we've run into was (and it wasn't an issue, just a discussion topic) the xx's. the first released xx is good, cr's are no good.

sbcnyc
Approved Member

Post by sbcnyc »

thanks all, i didnt want to just show up and hear cries even before people saw how pathetic my driving is... and sure, i could totally have a period correct kit from 94, and like SOME of you guys, let it sit on a shelf collecting dust due to lack of replacement parts.. or the horrible decline of value if by chance a nick or scuff shows up... i some times wonder if the antique barbie dolls mint in package are displayed next to the sealed holiday buggy...

i love driving r/c cars.past present and future.. if i wanted to build things to live on a shelf, id be into sculpture, my beater truck is a homage that i can enjoy for years to come... and have no fear in throwing pack after pack in it........ they were race cars than, and still are, remember all the weird homebrew stuff people did when they were new?... i just wanted the most durable drive train, all off the shelf parts anyone can duplicate.. no hand fabbed one off here

just looking forward to seeing some cool examples, smart crafted runners, good people, and a fun weekend of super light hearted competition

cant wait for September !!!

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

[/quote]
lol...exactly. IMO, what's the point of all these rules and classes if whatever you bring will be allowed as long as you claim "it's all I have?" We can all imagine how somebody might take advantage of that and just because somebody didn't win in the past doing it doesn't mean it should be allowed. I think that kind of nonchalant attitude towards following rules would quickly change the first time a guy breaking them actually won something not to mention it would call into question the integrity of the event.

As a new-comer, it's unfortunate to read that such a thing was allowed and I have to believe it will discourage some from spending the time and money required to travel and enter an event like this which defeats the whole purpose. I'm all in it for the fun but the "spirit" of racing anything including r/c cars (especially when folks are paying to participate) starts first and foremost with a strict adherence to rules that ensure fair competition. That allows people to trust the event and its organizers so they can relax and enjoy themselves. Without that it's thunderdome. :)[/quote]

As Kaiser said, it's not like we had a long line of people with newer generation stuff looking to enter. If there were exceptions made it may have been 1 that would allow the "vintage minded" person to participate in the experience. With that being said, I believe that just about everybody that was allowed the exception showed up the next year with proper gear.

The point is, don't get so bogged down and confused with what goes where on the forum thread. Weve found that a some of the guys on the forum who get SO caught up in the argument of rules dont even show. Or planned on showing for that matter. So bring what you got vintage wise, and it'll be fit in its proper place when you get there.

We can all tend to be very details oriented when it comes to this vintage R/C stuff. Let your hair down and enjoy the hobby and the fellowship of the brethren who share your passion.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

That was deep man, nice job 8)

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Brandon G wrote: Weve found that a some of the guys on the forum who get SO caught up in the argument of rules dont even show. Or planned on showing for that matter.
i'm gonna guess that was directed towards me so........

i always plan on going (like this year, same as the previous years) but it just never seems to pan out do to financial or health reasons....... usually the later. that is the main reason i'm not as vocal about it as i used to be...... because i'm not there every year. but it doesn't mean i want to see it to turn into a free-for-all where you get to run "anything" just because you show up. at that point, i won't even plan on going. i can race against "anything" at a track 10-15 minutes from my house.

i'm sorry, if you can handle following directions to get to the track, you can follow a few simple class rules to race there. no one seems to have a problem getting the electronics part of the equation in compliance.........

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

you have to remember, i still think the xx being allowed to race is a bunch of crap. they got in on a technicality. :lol: :lol: