Intriguing ad in RC Car Action - RC10 re-release?

Everything pertaining to the RC10 buggy re-releases.
Classic, Classic Clear, World's, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Wandy
Approved Member

Re: Intriguing ad in RC Car Action - RC10 re-release?

Post by Wandy »

Just spotted these two short vids that are no doubt old hat around these parts, showing how the car in the 1:1 magazine ad was actually fitted with it's own cockpit detail and bucket seat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOx8bYWBS_8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi6ztIlqDNk

Is this a later RC10 with longer front arms etc? Or have the white parts just been dyed black?

Also, were these decals available with a kit, or is it a one-off special?

kink
Approved Member

Post by kink »

fredswain wrote:Here's the best way I can describe what having this car back in the day was like... etc...

Great post!

You really had to be there back in the day to know how great the RC10 was. There is no point judging it now against decades worth of advancement and being critial. Love it for what it was at the time - the first proper off road 1/10 race car.

Back in '84 I had my first car - a Tamiya Hornet. At the time I was just a little kid who was extremely happy to have this toy to play with. It looked amazing to me and moved! That alone was more than enough to totally satisfy me. Yet only a year later I had moved on and actually realised how bad the cars from Tamiya were. If you attempted to race them they were totally laughable. I remember the 2WD cars would just roll over at the first corners if you attempted to keep up with proper race cars :lol: I guess having a high ride height, zero dampers at the front, no proper independent rear suspension all added up to a joke of a race car.

Tamiyas back then only had one real purpose - to get kids into the hobby for as little money as possible. No one ever bought a Tamiya as thier second car as by that stage they realised how crap they were! So we can thank Tamiya for getting people interested. But thank God for the likes of Associated, Kyosho etc for moving the game on so far it was not even recognisable at the time.
GARBO 1/8

oldschoolrcer

Post by oldschoolrcer »

kink wrote:
fredswain wrote:Here's the best way I can describe what having this car back in the day was like... etc...

Great post!

You really had to be there back in the day to know how great the RC10 was. There is no point judging it now against decades worth of advancement and being critial. Love it for what it was at the time - the first proper off road 1/10 race car.

Back in '84 I had my first car - a Tamiya Hornet. At the time I was just a little kid who was extremely happy to have this toy to play with. It looked amazing to me and moved! That alone was more than enough to totally satisfy me. Yet only a year later I had moved on and actually realised how bad the cars from Tamiya were. If you attempted to race them they were totally laughable. I remember the 2WD cars would just roll over at the first corners if you attempted to keep up with proper race cars :lol: I guess having a high ride height, zero dampers at the front, no proper independent rear suspension all added up to a joke of a race car.

Tamiyas back then only had one real purpose - to get kids into the hobby for as little money as possible. No one ever bought a Tamiya as thier second car as by that stage they realised how crap they were! So we can thank Tamiya for getting people interested. But thank God for the likes of Associated, Kyosho etc for moving the game on so far it was not even recognisable at the time.

While I agree with some of what you said about Tamiya's ,I think you may take some heat for saying it. Not sure if you are from the UK or just living there,but here is a little video from the US back in the day.

I know it's not RC10 related, and I appoligize to the forum for posting it here ,but if anything it will show how advanced the Rc10 was for its time. For those who never owned one when new and don't understand the hype, compare this video to one of the original RC10 and you will see the difference.

I remember seeing it as a kid just starting out in the hobby with my Tamiya Hotshot, and thought wow I wanna race mine. Then reality hit when I raced against a few rc10s with my then new Hornet, loaded with every hop up available.lol

I posted this over on RCTech and quite a few got a kick out of it. Enjoy!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LOy7VVwxDlM

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Looks like it's all coming together - sorry if this has been posted here already, Rednoise (the guy behind Redworkshop for those who are into WE 2wd racing ;) ) posted this on a french forum and I hadn't seen it yet :)

http://www.teamassociated.com/news/announcements/1159-Roger_Curtis_of_Team_Associated_Receives_2013_RC_Hall_of_Fame_Award

so look at the Rc10 classic as Roger Curtis "hommage" car :)

Paul

EDIT: Oops, not cedric. sorry!
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

RC10 Junkie

Post by RC10 Junkie »

Lonestar, awesome article on Roger. Made my day!

Thank you.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Excellent article!!!

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

x3

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

you guys need to thank Rednoise as he's the one who pointed it out :)

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

rcrob wrote:
scr8p wrote: :?:
Somebody asked for opinions, I gave mine.
If you're going to take what I said out of context, I don't know what to tell you. :roll:
MelvinsArmy wrote:Is everybody excited to have a new RC10 that they can run and not be afraid of scratching and breaking, or are people more excited to have a new box to put on the shelf to collect dust as an "investment"? All this talk and concern about limited numbers begs the question.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Let it go.
Let what go new guy? All I did was ask a pertinent question.

flipwils11
Approved Member

Post by flipwils11 »

MelvinsArmy wrote: Let what go new guy? All I did was ask a pertinent question.
His time here is hopefully drawing to a close soon.

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

I dont know if this has been mentioned yet or not, I didn't go through all 60 pages of this thread.... I hear the Gold tub is not the only car they plan on re-releasing. There may be a '94 worlds car available in the future...

flipwils11
Approved Member

Post by flipwils11 »

Brandon G wrote:I dont know if this has been mentioned yet or not, I didn't go through all 60 pages of this thread.... I hear the Gold tub is not the only car they plan on re-releasing. There may be a '94 worlds car available in the future...
Cool, good to know.

Haven't seen much of you around here in a while Brandon!

soniccj5
Approved Member

Post by soniccj5 »

Brandon G wrote:I dont know if this has been mentioned yet or not, I didn't go through all 60 pages of this thread.... I hear the Gold tub is not the only car they plan on re-releasing. There may be a '94 worlds car available in the future...
That is great news! The gold six gear is the only one i will buy though. Brings back memories of my Dad and I building them on the porch back in the early 80s.

Now RPM needs to release their worlds conversion kit, so we can build Re-Released Whats New that was Old Is New.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

This thread is bringing a lot of peeps back from the dead :mrgreen:

slim_chance
Approved Member

Post by slim_chance »

I am way late on this! Lol but I just got the RC Action news letter email when I saw that yes in fact AE is bringing the gold tub back in a limitied edition run with a few revisions like updated battery cups to allow the use of lipos. No word through them if it is going to be a 6 gear, stealth, or an updated gear box. http://www.rccaraction.com/blog/2013/06/04/rcxclusive-associated-brings-back-the-original-rc10/#utm_source=MagnetMail&utm_medium=email&utm_term=comatose1983hotmail.com&utm_content=RCCAEnews_6.7.13&utm_campaign=How%20to%20maintain%20your%20brushless%20motor,%20Castles%20motor%20blower,%20and%20RCX%20on%20TV%21
My question is are they going to release replacement parts?
Super phenominal cosmic plans! itty bitty bank account.

Procrastinators unite!......tomorrow.
My new Fb page by bashers for bashers. Rc bashers unite! http://www.facebook.com/RcBashersUnite