Marui Samurai 4WD - Another SilverTriple's journey...

The place for all things Marui.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

silvertriple

Re: Marui Samurai 4WD - Another SilverTriple's journey...

Post by silvertriple »

I did some measurements, and get into Fusion360 to build a tool to ease the extraction of the bevel gear from the front differential...

I'm going to print it and try :-)
I buy kits to build and ru(i)n them :-)

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

The joy of 3d printing is making one off tools / jigs etc .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

silvertriple

Post by silvertriple »

Printed in 0.2 mm/layer...

Not perfect yet, let's be clear, but...

I you have ideas to make it better, do not hesitate to tell me :-)

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

My feeling is it's not something you need all the time so if it worked the all is good
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

silvertriple

Post by silvertriple »

Dadio wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:01 pm My feeling is it's not something you need all the time so if it worked the all is good
That's the thing : I'm not sure it works, and I have two other Samurai to deal with :)

On a different note toric joints are an issue for both Samurai and the Nichimo...
Not sure where to find them yet:
- Internal diameter 8, external diameter 10, Tore diameter 1 (3 per Samurai, 2 for the Nichimo)
- Internal diameter 10, external diameter 12, Tore diameter 1 (1 for the Nichimo)

EDIT : Found on Amazon, will probably have enough for the next 10 years :)

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

W as confused by toric joints , had to look it up , better described in English as "O" rings , no way a criticism of your English as it's very good, just an easier search name for them .

silvertriple

Post by silvertriple »

Well, this is exactly where my English is limited :)

Any case, did rework my tweezer for bevel gear, and it works like a charm now...

I just put it in Thingiverse. It was a 4 minutes print (from the time it started to print) on layer size 0.12. It may not last more than 1 or 2 extractions, but I believe it will take less time to print it and to try this way than to do it with a paper clip folded like I did, which does not allow to pull it from both sides...

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5347369

silvertriple

Post by silvertriple »

Did progress on the Samurai N°1 clean up...
At the end here is what I have on the table

I think I know now the reason why the front middle bulkhead was broken : there was a heavy collision at the left side - the left bottom arm is bended

Over the last few months, I accumulated quite a few Samurai parts, including a chassis from @Dadio and one from @optimaforever, and two complete cars in running state, with some cleanup required.
The plan is to start the build of the N°1 based on the Optima House chassis. It will include both front and rear gearboxes from Optima House. @Dadio, I hope you don't mind, but the time of your chassis will come, but with the white chassis, it gives opportunity the black chassis doesn't, and I will probably have to consider additional white parts to go with it (not that I want it white, but I'm thinking of dyeing the whole set of part in a particular color - I will contact you when it will be time for that).

Stay tuned, hopefully, I will be able to move a lot of things within the next few weeks :)

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

I don't mind how you use the chassis , be interesting to try building with half from Optima House and half of my chassis to see how the mate up.

silvertriple

Post by silvertriple »

Dadio wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:58 am I don't mind how you use the chassis , be interesting to try building with half from Optima House and half of my chassis to see how the mate up.
Well, that is an interesting idea, but I won't do that :-)
That being said, you just drop an idea in my mind... Multicolor Samurai? :lol:

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

I've added loads of colours to my Shapeways stuff , don't think any radical colours have been ordered yet .

silvertriple

Post by silvertriple »

Yesterday, after having dealt with the cleaning, I had some time... But I didn't want to start the Samurai build as I'm still awaiting few bits to appear on a picture before starting the built. They are expecting to show up soon, but never soon enough.

I decided to start modeling the Samurai. Rims and Wing are already done. I decided to start by the roll cage. Unlike the chassis, at least there is some symmetry, but it is not that easy as the bars are not all in the same plan. There might be something like a subtle degree deviation from the front bar compared to the plan between the top and rear bar. @Dadio says measurement is hard, I decided to experiment somehow.

First I decided to measure the distance between the braces, and to set them on a component called Middle plane, which is just purposed to help building the roll cage... From there, it was easy to define the distance between the roll cage and the middle plan component as the brace is easy to measure. I then set a pipe with two sketchs to join my bodies.

next was to add the body mount, wing and roof support.

It actually went quicker than I expected for that part. And it was very easy to add the mirror to complete this

This morning, my doctor decided to put me on sick leave for some analysis as I had stomach pain for the last few days. Part of the morning was in the laboratory to do some blood tests and other analysis, and the rest was at home to wait for the results. My stomach pain is still there, but I can't help doing something, so opened Fusion 360 to get to think about something else than my pain (trust it or not, this treatment seems to work for me).

I continued on the roll cage modeling. The rear part was done in two sketches (yeah, trying to do as much as I can in reduced number of sketches).

A bit later I had this
... and this

As I had the wing modeled already, I thought it could make sense to try it to check my measurements and design (I did not used it to set the wing support...)
It doesn't look bad :-)

I added the roof on top of the roll cage.

And did the Nerf bars as well...

I got hints that Samurai is probably the hardest chassis to model, and I assume the chassis will be more difficult. I intend to model it like I did the Nichimo, just because it is fun to do it, and will probably save me some money because with the time I'll take to do it, I won't build new kits :-) (and I have other reasons, but you'll be discovering those in proper times if ever I can actually do what I'm thinking about)...

silvertriple

Post by silvertriple »

After my last post, I decided to start working on the gearbox.
I already have 2 new gearbox from Optima House for my Samurai, so this is clearly only for the fun (or maybe because I need at least one motor plate :-) )

I decided to do things in proper order this time (doing things in the proper sequence will allow to gain some time compared to what I did for the Nichimo). So the motor plate comes first.

And yes, I used this trick today. Very easy to see the parallels and perpendicularities with this trick :)

I decided to start by the elements which were the most obvious on the gearbox plate.

Then I used a simple way to define the rest: triangulation. Define each center of holes by two other centers distances.

I did size the thing on my 4K screen so it looks the same size as in reality, making easy check that everything is right.

It looks a bit complex, there is a lot of measurements, but that's it...

And I have my motor plate... (this si not a scan, this is the virtual thing :-D)

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

The picture of you holding the motor plate up to the screen is very familiar .
With flat objects you could put them in the scanner of a regular paper printer with the graph paper , then import the scan into Fusion , scale the picture and use it as a template .
The motor plate I made up for my second Samurai I just shadow cut off the original , drilled one 3mm hole and bolted the original to an aluminium sheet then drilled a second and bolted that as well to secure them together , drilled the rest of the holes , scored round the outside and sawed and ground it to shape but I was not planning on drawing up the whole gearbox , I just wanted another motor plate.

silvertriple

Post by silvertriple »

Well, I don't plan to print a gearbox. I may need a motor plate for the N4 (aka Dadio design chassis based). It's just matter of time of when I'll start, and if I can't find one before (I do not have the material to be able to cut one like you do).
N2 and N3 gearboxes seem to be in good state. I have a doubt on the right side of N2, but it is nowhere as bad as it was for N1.

That being said, I started to model the gearbox, as it is fun to do it (I appreciate this as much as to build a car, actually). And I'm doing this with printing in mind, just in case...