Wife needs a new car

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

marlo
Approved Member

Re: Wife needs a new car

Post by marlo »

Well, a little update :| coming on the one year mark, my new Jeep, dumped most of its motor oil on my driveway. Looks like the 2014's have a "BIG" issues with the oil cooler. No recall as of yet :roll: I'm done! This inho is a big deal. I've had a few "little" problems over the last year, that I just put aside, but this was the last straw. Major door water leak, broken rear defrost tab, doors unlock over speed bump, radio randomly shuts off, or losses memory, bolts often come loose, no paint around door hinges, etc..... I'm thinking about getting back into a pick-up again. ford is out, only for the fact that I don't trust an all new aluminum body, GM is Out, don't trust the tranny. So I'm stuck with Dodge. Anyone have input that they would like to share with the 2015 Ram's? Out of the big three, this seems to be my only option. I exhausted all Google info, so I'm now reaching out for help. I tell ya, this s$!t, could not have come at a worse time.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Buy a 73 - 79 Ford F150 or 250. Best selling truck for a reason :D
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

RC10th wrote:Buy a 73 - 79 Ford F150 or 250. Best selling truck for a reason :D
this!

i'm currently on the hunt for one, i'll even go into the early 90's if it has a inline 300 or a 351w.
(i need a supercab though, for the kiddies)

i can't bring myself to buy a dodge, too many of them running around with so much rot. even new ones.
what kind of sheet metal do they use on the new dodges?

aeiou
Approved Member

Post by aeiou »

That sucks, Marlon. When my Jeep was stolen in January, I rented a 2015 Ram for about a month. It was a quad cab/4 door "Big Horn" version with the 5.7 Hemi (not the crew cab). I didn't pick it by choice - it was the only full sized truck Enterprise had with a tow receiver. I pulled a small motorcycle trailer back and forth to the desert a couple of times with no issues. Didn't even break a sweat. It burned a ton of gas, but that could be because I played with the Hemi a bit too much. :lol: Other than that, it was comfortable, had a nice ride and came with all of the modern electronics and such you'd expect. I liked it enough that I'd possibly consider it as a second option to my brand of choice.

One thing to keep in mind is that Ram is a brand of the same mother ship as Jeep. So if you aren't happy with the responses they've been giving you regarding your issues, well... I'm not speaking from experience here, just sayin'.

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

I will second the vote to go for an older vehicle, though I'd recommend GM.

I despise modern electronic intrusion into every aspect of today's vehicles, for that reason, my next "new" truck will likely be a mid 70's machine that gets a street restoration.
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

marlo
Approved Member

Post by marlo »

Thanks for the feed back guys. I cant get into an older car ATM, also not to interested in complicated new stuff (though I do like my GPS in the radio). If I start another truck project so soon after selling my last one, well, it wouldn't be a good scene :wink: I like the thought of brand new, without major oil leaks, that is :roll: but its a crap shoot. I'm feeling Dodge, going take one out for a test ride tomorrow.

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

Those Durangos look really nice. Not sure about longevity though.

You can get some decent reviews from Edmunds though I'm sure you've already done that. I'm a GM fanboy so I won't put my two cents in. :mrgreen:
http://www.edmunds.com/

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Halgar wrote:I despise modern electronic intrusion into every aspect of today's vehicles, for that reason, my next "new" truck will likely be a mid 70's machine that gets a street restoration.
I'm totally with you on that one. I miss the days when your gauges told you what was wrong with your car, and you could also see a problem develop & worsen gradually...not get bombarded with idiot lights, "Check Engine" & "Service Engine Soon" lights, idiot lights that come on if your gas cap isn't tight enough or if it's a particularly cold or humid day...and why the hell do all stereo components sold in the past decade or two need to have a light come on to tell me they're OFF?
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Oozzee
Approved Member

Post by Oozzee »

What about a Turbo Diesel Toyota Hilux, Great Car/truck, think they may call it a Tundra in the States
The Dreaded 7 - 10 Split

marlo
Approved Member

Post by marlo »

Thanks for the tip Oozzee, but it would need to be one off the "big three". Well I just picked up my Jeep from the dealer, and it still is dripping oil. I don't think its fron the oil cooler, but just might be left over oil that has pooled up somewhere. I'll power wash the underside tomorrow, and hope its not the rear main seal.
Here this invoice of the repair, and one thing got my eye right away. RE-RE intake manifolds..... I'm not sure what that means, but just having the "RE-RE" in there :shock:
DSCF3170.JPG

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Remove and reinstall :wink:
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

marlo wrote: GM is Out, don't trust the tranny. So I'm stuck with Dodge.
You don't trust the tranny on a GM and you think Dodge is the answer? Ummm...I would say the tranny in the Dodge would fail far before the one in the GM truck.

In all honesty, if I was going to buy a truck I'd likely buy a Ford. I like the way the Ram look better than either but I dunno about the quality.

While I know you won't buy an import, if I'm not mistaken both the Toyota Tundra and Nissan Titan pickups are both built in the US as well.
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

marlo
Approved Member

Post by marlo »

Its a hard choice for me Chris..... Ford is where the heart is, but I cant deal with the all aluminum body.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Have you read up on it tho? It just went from 4 stars last year to 5 stars this year in the crash test, better milage, better stopping, peppier...its all positive. People are scared of the aluminum but I see it as a huge upgrade.

Let's anodized it purple :mrgreen:
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

R Cane
Approved Member

Post by R Cane »

gomachv wrote:Have you read up on it tho? It just went from 4 stars last year to 5 stars this year in the crash test, better milage, better stopping, peppier...its all positive. People are scared of the aluminum but I see it as a huge upgrade.

Let's anodized it purple :mrgreen:
that would be awesome! :lol: