YZ10, full rebuild!

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Re: YZ10, full rebuild!

Post by Charlie don't surf »

When molds are back-poured from other shells, the result is a production mold that is undersized- combine that with the lexan shrinkage and its what you get. I believe CATS provided a NIP shell to them for this as well. MrLexan's are 1000% better overall, but he only does the 95' version with the scoop.

ralphee
Approved Member

Post by ralphee »

Already got a PM in to Mr Lexan, thanks, yeah so, same rule of thumb in my main hobby, recast/remold, equals a small percentage in shrinkage, explains a lot.

lee

NRG
Approved Member

Post by NRG »

I quite like the scoop one and ya can't go wrong with a lex shell n tray.

OMG lmao @ fire hose. Sheesh a plot of land, be it tarmac or grass at a leisure centre or school or even Birmingham wheels Bangor track. Some old fire hydrant hose a few tyres and some confiscated cones lmao and you have a recipe for a great days racing, even a trailor full of milk float 1volt batteries to charge from and your good to go. No transponders just a lil old lady who hit number keys on an old computer to keep track of laptimes loool. Wow that takes me back. :mrgreen:

Mr Lexan FTW.

ralphee
Approved Member

Post by ralphee »

You cant beat the little old lady bud, those buttons pushes were critical :lol: .

lee

CAT3K
Approved Member

Post by CAT3K »

ralphee wrote:You cant beat the little old lady bud, those buttons pushes were critical :lol: .

lee
Until the post race arguments started about missed laps :roll: I don't miss that :lol:

At my old club we never used sand filled firehoses. Here it was marine rope, as thick as your arm :lol:

Paul.

Alex B
Approved Member

Post by Alex B »

CAT3K wrote:
ralphee wrote:You cant beat the little old lady bud, those buttons pushes were critical :lol: .

lee
Until the post race arguments started about missed laps :roll: I don't miss that :lol:

At my old club we never used sand filled firehoses. Here it was marine rope, as thick as your arm :lol:

Paul.
We had a man with clickers that recorded the laps.
:shock:

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

The two weeknight clubs I race at (Telstar & Silverstone RCMCC) still use sand filled fire hose - works well for buggies, but is a pain for lifting around when laying out/putting away cos its so heavy :(

I can remember the first club I went to had a Commadore64 computer for the lap timing - the program loaded from a tape each week whilst we set out the track.... the next club I went to had a set of traffic lights to start the race/siren to sound the finish - the laps were counted on a home made wooden box with 6 little LCD counters mounted into it - there were no split times so the final positions were calculated on the count of the combined two qualifying races - of course there were still dead heats to be argued over LOL!

I still have somewhere the lap timer that we used after the wooden box - this was a 'Barracuda' system - this gave us split times but still in-putted the laps manually although I believe the system could support an AMB decoder. The Barracuder was denoted to the club by then recently defunct Rockingham Buggy Club nr Corby.

ralphee
Approved Member

Post by ralphee »

I miss the days of putting out the track. The fact we could change it weekly was kinda fun, we had so much hose, we really could get intricate, and it meant on the day, nobody had an immediate advantage.
I dont miss the days of lost laps though lol, yes i did get embroiled in a few debates lol, good old days.

lee

ralphee
Approved Member

Post by ralphee »

Threw some paint on this earlier, nothing amazing, im not impressed with these TBG shells, so they do as a test bed as ive not painted a shell in anger in a good few years lol, im wayyyyy rusty.
There are a few tiny bleeds, and a bit of static dust, but, i reckon by my next bodyshell, ill have it wired and tidy, not 100% on the colors, think i got the feel of the paint scheme back then though?

lee

ralphee
Approved Member

Post by ralphee »

Guys, do such a thing as vintage repro Novak etc decals exist, or do i need to try bag 20 yr old decal sheets LOL.

lee

jon burrows
Approved Member

Post by jon burrows »

Hi ralphee, I've been following your build in detail as I have a yz-10 myself awaiting restoration. You've done an amazing job!
Check with mrlexan. He has reproduction decals for quite a bit of cars. I don't know if the decals you need off the top of me head, but take a look in the business member area. Also eau rouge / squarehead designs may be a good place to look.

jb

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

jon burrows wrote: Also eau rouge / squarehead designs may be a good place to look.

jb
that is a dead end there but do you have a picture of what you are needing? May have it...

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

jon burrows
Approved Member

Post by jon burrows »

klavy69 wrote:
jon burrows wrote: Also eau rouge / squarehead designs may be a good place to look.

jb
that is a dead end there but do you have a picture of what you are needing? May have it...

Todd
sorry to hijack ya ralphee -
Is it a dead end with eau rouge for any decals? I emailed with no response for 85' worlds jay Halsey with no response. I had a feeling after seeing his bst thread...
Any leads where to get the repro sheet?

jb

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

jon burrows wrote:
Is it a dead end with eau rouge for any decals?
jb
Yeah, sorry for hijacking also but last I heard he had no intent or want to do anything else. Was only dumping what he had left. If you have a minute and want to drop him an email you might get lucky...

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

Alex B
Approved Member

Post by Alex B »

ralphee wrote:Threw some paint on this earlier, nothing amazing, im not impressed with these TBG shells, so they do as a test bed as ive not painted a shell in anger in a good few years lol, im wayyyyy rusty.
There are a few tiny bleeds, and a bit of static dust, but, i reckon by my next bodyshell, ill have it wired and tidy, not 100% on the colors, think i got the feel of the paint scheme back then though?

lee

It's fair to say Lee that with the paint, the pink wheels and wing you'll have no problem following that around a track :lol:

Good work though, but you'll need another project soon enough 8)

Edit to add

Is than an imperial probe droid in the picture?
:shock: