Intriguing ad in RC Car Action - RC10 re-release?

Everything pertaining to the RC10 buggy re-releases.
Classic, Classic Clear, World's, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

flipwils11
Approved Member

Re: Intriguing ad in RC Car Action - RC10 re-release?

Post by flipwils11 »

SFC K wrote:With the popularity of this thread, I am assuming no one is getting any work done. :mrgreen: :lol:

Man, August can't get here fast enough... :(
Hah, yeah, I've been coming back and checking this thread too often too.

I'd love to know the big picture of preorders and demand across the US if not the world at the end of this week, something only those product and sales folks at Associated probably have line of sight to.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I'd like to say I'm gung-ho for one of these, but for 2 reasons: (1) I have absolutely zero parts lying around for RC10's; (2) I'd have to buy a whole new set of Standard tools just to build the thing (hex drivers mainly). :P

I'm interested in seeing one--ONE, mind you--well-executed build thread when someone finally receives one. The race is on, there should be a pool to see who gets theirs first!
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

R/Cat
Approved Member

Re: Intriguing ad in RC Car Action

Post by R/Cat »

Coelacanth wrote:If you compared only the years of RC10's that were sold during the same years the Hotshots were selling, not ALL the years of the RC10, do you really think more RC10's were sold? :wink: Heck, I'd almost be willing to bet more Optimas were sold in that few-year span than RC10's, and way more Hotshots sold than Optimas.

Of course, I have no numbers to back that up, it's just what I remember of the popularity of those cars at the hobby stores. The store I worked at didn't even sell Associated products. The only place you saw them was at the track, which was a very small percentage of overall RC cars sold in those days.
Totally agree....High-end, race bred cars like the RC10 were not the car of choice for the vast majority of enthusiasts out there most of whom were backyard bashers and not competitive racers.

flipwils11
Approved Member

Post by flipwils11 »

R/Cat wrote:
Coelacanth wrote:If you compared only the years of RC10's that were sold during the same years the Hotshots were selling, not ALL the years of the RC10, do you really think more RC10's were sold? :wink: Heck, I'd almost be willing to bet more Optimas were sold in that few-year span than RC10's, and way more Hotshots sold than Optimas.

Of course, I have no numbers to back that up, it's just what I remember of the popularity of those cars at the hobby stores. The store I worked at didn't even sell Associated products. The only place you saw them was at the track, which was a very small percentage of overall RC cars sold in those days.
Totally agree....High-end, race bred cars like the RC10 were not the car of choice for the vast majority of enthusiasts out there most of whom were backyard bashers and not competitive racers.
I knew about the RC10 from RCCA but I started with a Tamiya Hornet which I "modded" with aftermarket oil filled shocks, lol. After I got more educated I realized I had to have an rc10 even though I only raced once. I still knew it was a championship car and the metal and realism had me all hot and bothered. I finally got my rc10 around 1988 and I was predominantly a basher.

I bet there were others like me who bought an rc10 for the same reasons.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Coelacanth wrote:I'd have to buy a whole new set of Standard tools just to build the thing (hex drivers mainly). :P
it'll come with tools, except the phillips for those goofy aluminum screws. :wink:

flipwils11
Approved Member

Post by flipwils11 »

pretty-new-pet-rc10.jpg
pretty-new-pet-rc10.jpg (28.06 KiB) Viewed 885 times
pretty-new-pet-rc10.jpg
pretty-new-pet-rc10.jpg (28.06 KiB) Viewed 885 times

SFC K
Approved Member

Post by SFC K »

That is awesome Adam! ^^^ :lol:
Jeff

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

flipwils11 wrote:I knew about the RC10 from RCCA but I started with a Tamiya Hornet which I "modded" with aftermarket oil filled shocks, lol. After I got more educated I realized I had to have an rc10 even though I only raced once. I still knew it was a championship car and the metal and realism had me all hot and bothered. I finally got my rc10 around 1988 and I was predominantly a basher.

I bet there were others like me who bought an rc10 for the same reasons.
I'd say my early days in hobby-grade RC was similar, but I went down a slightly different path. My first was the Grasshopper. I put in a bunch of mods; better shocks, Thorp diff, better motor (can't remember which), blue alloy sideguards...and the car had a black paintjob with lime green & bright blue stripes, it was a real looker. But no matter how much I threw at it, it still handled like a turd. I sold it to a kid who was frequenting the hobby store I worked at, the car practically sold itself because it looked fantastic with the paintjob & blue sideguards. I think I sold it for $200 or something.

I'd been hearing how the Optima was kicking butt at the track everywhere but it was a lot of money! My goal wasn't all-out racing though, I wanted something that I could drive offroad everywhere and was sold on the 4WD. If I was more in the "racer niche", I probably would've looked into an RC10. Fate...

There was another reason I never got into an RC10; from looking at magazine ads and Tower Hobbies catalog, the number of kit options for the various RC10 flavors was a bit intimidating for me (at the time) and I was concerned about buying an incomplete kit. For most of the Tamiya/Kyosho models, there was the standard kit, and some upgraded kit with bearings and faster motor. It was a bit more understandable to the beginner RC hobbyist. Perhaps if the hobby store I worked at stocked AE, I would've been able to look into the box and seen exactly what I was dealing with, and might've gone the RC10 route...but alas, that wasn't the case. The only store selling AE stuff was WAY on the north side of town and it wasn't an easy place to get to; back in the day before you could just buy anything online, a convenient location for parts was a consideration. :?
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

CamplinP
Approved Member

Post by CamplinP »

Coelacanth wrote:I'd like to say I'm gung-ho for one of these, but for 2 reasons: (1) I have absolutely zero parts lying around for RC10's; (2) I'd have to buy a whole new set of Standard tools just to build the thing (hex drivers mainly). :P

I'm interested in seeing one--ONE, mind you--well-executed build thread when someone finally receives one. The race is on, there should be a pool to see who gets theirs first!
This is why I had this idea. :? http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=30899
The Fox, Falcon, 9 RC10s black/gold/graph, Optima Mid SE EXT, Losi XXXT, B3, B4, 3 T4s, Evader BX, Evader ST, Buggy Champ '09, Sand Scorcher '10, RC10T, RC10DS

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

jamin wrote:I've only just noticed this thread, but what an awesome release for all you RC10 fans!

You guys are really lucky, I very much doubt Losi will do this with the JRX or similar.

It doesnt make sense that the UK should be limited to only a few kits - if so I hope you guys can all come together to make sure everyone on here who wants one can actually get one - we're all brothers after all 8)
I'm sure the guys at TLR will be watching this one with a keen eye as they won't want Associated to steal all the glory....! Surely....???
~I'm a lot older now than I was then and wish that I knew then what I know now~

trkneller
Approved Member

Post by trkneller »

LosiXXkid wrote:
jamin wrote:I've only just noticed this thread, but what an awesome release for all you RC10 fans!

You guys are really lucky, I very much doubt Losi will do this with the JRX or similar.

It doesnt make sense that the UK should be limited to only a few kits - if so I hope you guys can all come together to make sure everyone on here who wants one can actually get one - we're all brothers after all 8)
I'm sure the guys at TLR will be watching this one with a keen eye as they won't want Associated to steal all the glory....! Surely....???

I doubt it but I have to say, I have always wanted to own a JRX2. I'd definitely buy one of those, too. :D
I've never even owned a single Losi. :o

kaiser
Approved Member

Re: It's official: the RC10 Classic limited release

Post by kaiser »

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Steve we knew about this 6 years ago when we sent agents Halgar and Melvin to implant idea chips in your all your Area 51 staff! (Cliff seemed to like the probe btw! :shock: ) :lol:

Mission accomplished! :twisted:

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

speaking of area51, tell those boy's to stop on over here!