All Alloy Tube Chassis (Completed)

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

mikedealer
Approved Member

Re: All Alloy Tube Chassis (near completion)

Post by mikedealer »

ahh work is the only thing keeping me from finishing this lol. and money lol. need money for a speed controller and lipo battery, going to go with the tekin fx pro. going to use a checkpoint 9t motor (new model)

The sizes and holes and wheelbase match exact specs of a rc10 team car. Before i changed the side rails to the "javelin" style, a stock protech I body fit on top of the chassis perfectly. now its a bit off but ill figure out some sort of custom body panels or something.

i might even make a custom carbon fiber body for this if i can find the stuff i need to order it, im just too lazy to look lol. I actually have a "inverted" plaster mold of a protech I body i made that i can use for it.

i decided to go with one of alex's front alloy polished shock towers. After 5, yes 5, unsuccessful attempts to make a built in front shock tower, i totally failed lol.. first it was the angle, then it the shocks rubbed, then it was too weak and i was able to break it off with my hand with moderate pressure, etc etc lol. but a stock shock tower fits perfectly lol.

Anyway.. god willing... this will be done and painted and working as soon as the shock tower comes from alex for a last final fit before painting. thanks for compliments. i got some sick stuff in the works coming soon too... going to work on a tube 10t truck, a tamiya frog tuber (if its possible lol), and possibly a SRB based rough rider also if i can get my hands on the parts.

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

you could do-up some braces that attach to the back of the shock tower. mines sturdy as hell, so there. ;)

i wish i had those adj shock locations up top on the rear like yours. that makes me want to send mine to josh again and have him rework them that...

honestly, i'd hack off the kyosho look and go back to a protech lid. i wanted mine to just have a body drop on top but it just didnt work out quite like i wanted so i cut out individual pieces from multiple bodies that were hella scarce at the time. (and made like crap...) i dont mean to sound egotistical, but if you were just trying to be different 'cause you didnt want to offend me i'm not. its a damn cool rig, and imo it'd be alot cooler with an associated body on top.

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

i havent decided yet what to do with the front.. in looking at it now.. i could cut the "tops" off a existing shock tower, just so i can have a ball mount location that wont interfere with the shocks, then throw a tube mount on... i might go try again in a few minutes..

yea the adjustable shock mount is just a cut clevis pin i bought at home depot for like 69 cents

http://www.mcmaster.com/param/images/Pins/98330a245callout.gif

i did want something a bit different and didnt want people to like say "hey ive seen that before copycat" lol. your's is beautiful and totally original and didnt want to make the exact style so i changed it up a bit.... i always liked the javelins, but could never afford one, whether its 1986 or 2007 here lol, i never had the money haha. i might make a custom formed body for it.. i dont know yet..

i wanna try and make a sidewinder body fit on it maybe... i might re-work the sides as they were just thrown together in a few hours and i liked them so much i left them.. not too late to change lol.

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

i wont lie, i was peeved way back in the beginning but then i got over myself. its cool to see another version and honestly i really like yours, its pretty much what i had in my head when i pictured mine. i wish i could cut about 1/4" out of the overall height in mine, mount my rear shocks like that, and i totally wish i could just drop a body on top...

i think you should follow the carbon fiber protech idea and in the meantime just use a lexan version.

for the front shocks i think a carbon fiber tower with reinforcement tubes coming off the back would be killer. the aluminum towers look cool, but they bend easily. i use c-hubs that are parallel with the outer hingepin, i could see with the less raked c-hubs how the turnbuckles could hit the shocks. i dunno what yours are at but its a thought.

we should send them in to a mag and have them do a shootout. 8)

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

i think the c hubs i have are the standard angle.. i could probably get some lesser ones but i doubt i could find them in aluminum lol.. wanted to keep the whole thing alloy, just for looks.. the thing doesnt way a ton.. which i was surprised about. thats with a lipo though...

i like that idea with a tower and reinforcement tubes.. i might try that.. maybe for the shelf time ill keep the alloy one on.. and when running ill keep a carbon one on.. whatcha think.. drill down halfway down the tower and and drill a whole and bend some tubes in the back of the thing? gotta play with that..

i was looking into the carbon chassis.. its gonna be messy, and ill probably end up expoxying my hands togehter.. but im gonna try it.. Gonna mold it in solid carbon fiber... cut out the appropriate window panels.. then fill them with a ultra clear expoxy or try and expoxy some lexan/plexiglass in there and glue/sand it to make it look seemlesss... i dont know if that makes sense but it makes PERFECT sense in my crazy head lol..

im down for a shootout anytime hehe.. i kinda made this originally to run on dirt in mind.. but i think for now im gonna stick it in sand only... as god intended a buggy to do hahah.

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

i honestly think a simple carbon fiber or aluminum tower iffya really want that bling would be the best option and would look trick. the braciing would be just for looks more or less.

mines all rod and its also lighter than i thought it would be. lipo is wonderfull. ;)

btw, you think you got a sturdy enough servo in that?

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

i bought the rock crusher hi torque servo, grey/green anodized case.. i think it should be sturdy enough..
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLSX0&P=7

this shock tower thing is gonna kill me.. last real peice other than battery mount i need to fit.

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

decided to fabricate a aluminum wing tonight.. i have 2 thorps in good shape but wanted something different. sorry for the bad pics, my good camera doesnt work anymore... wanted the sides really short, and a double decker. kinda made it similiar to a you-g. Made the panel templates in illustrator, cut them in green vinyl, applied them to a aluminum sheet, and used a scroll saw to cut the peices out, and a belt sander to finish them

The Stickers and panels i made with my vinyl cutter (anyone ever needs anything, just send me the vector artwork and tell me what color and ill do it cheap)

Im making a custom top panel super champ style, i am probably going to get the AE logo laser engraved in on the front splash bend, along with my name on the sides, and , and possible front and side panels from aluminum also, i was gonna try graphite... but might see how a aluminum body looks first, or at least some panels. Going to get a peice of stainless laser engraved also and braze it between the front bumper all "classic style" lol
Attachments
IMG_1924.JPG
just finished cutting on scroll saw
IMG_1924.JPG (112.91 KiB) Viewed 1090 times
IMG_1924.JPG (112.91 KiB) Viewed 1090 times
IMG_1925.JPG
Vinyl Cut Logos
IMG_1925.JPG (117.59 KiB) Viewed 1088 times
Vinyl Cut Logos
Vinyl Cut Logos
IMG_1925.JPG (117.59 KiB) Viewed 1088 times
IMG_1929.JPG
final wheel polish
IMG_1929.JPG (122.28 KiB) Viewed 1082 times
final wheel polish
final wheel polish
IMG_1929.JPG (122.28 KiB) Viewed 1082 times
IMG_1930.JPG
assembly
IMG_1930.JPG (136.99 KiB) Viewed 1078 times
assembly
assembly
IMG_1930.JPG (136.99 KiB) Viewed 1078 times
IMG_1931.JPG
my micromark metal break (metal bender), coolest thing i ever bought lol
IMG_1931.JPG (160.41 KiB) Viewed 1077 times
IMG_1931.JPG (160.41 KiB) Viewed 1077 times
IMG_1932.JPG
final polishing
IMG_1932.JPG (134.48 KiB) Viewed 1076 times
final polishing
final polishing
IMG_1932.JPG (134.48 KiB) Viewed 1076 times
IMG_1937.JPG
Finished Product
IMG_1937.JPG (125.84 KiB) Viewed 1074 times
Finished Product
Finished Product
IMG_1937.JPG (125.84 KiB) Viewed 1074 times
IMG_1938.JPG
Finished Product
IMG_1938.JPG (114.04 KiB) Viewed 1072 times
Finished Product
Finished Product
IMG_1938.JPG (114.04 KiB) Viewed 1072 times

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

drilled the mount holes and took off the big sticker for now, gonna put something different there, not sure yet lol

wanted a smaller size wing for the car with small sides to give it a sleeker look.. i dont know if i accomplished it, any suggestions ideas? likes/dislikes?
Attachments
IMG_1939.JPG
IMG_1939.JPG (166.02 KiB) Viewed 1066 times
IMG_1939.JPG
IMG_1939.JPG (166.02 KiB) Viewed 1066 times
IMG_1940.JPG
IMG_1940.JPG (153.16 KiB) Viewed 1065 times
IMG_1940.JPG
IMG_1940.JPG (153.16 KiB) Viewed 1065 times
IMG_1941.JPG
IMG_1941.JPG (187.9 KiB) Viewed 1058 times
IMG_1941.JPG
IMG_1941.JPG (187.9 KiB) Viewed 1058 times
IMG_1942.JPG
IMG_1942.JPG (132.92 KiB) Viewed 1057 times
IMG_1942.JPG
IMG_1942.JPG (132.92 KiB) Viewed 1057 times

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

oh and im gonna change the side screws with rounded button screws, just waiting for my fastener express order to come in

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

mikedealer wrote:oh and im gonna change the side screws with rounded button screws, just waiting for my fastener express order to come in
Something that looks trick would be flush mount crush rivets. At work I sometimes build battery radiator panels for satellites and we use these rivets to attach the thermal heat pipes on. You would need to countersink the holes though

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

im going to experiment with a tig welder in a few days to see if i can tack weld them together without ruining the aluminum.. i looked into getting the rivets, the ones similiar to like thorp used, but couldnt find them, or dont know what they are called, im sure mcmaster sells them, but they allude me lol

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

thorp used regular ol pop rivets. you should able to find some at the hardware store

Tadracket
Approved Member

Post by Tadracket »

Dude that is awesome. How much you got in the break? I might have to git me one of them.
shodog wrote:..... flush mount crush rivets.
Sho, can you elaborate? This is something I have not seen before but sounds like something I would be interested in.
He's an idiot. Comes from upbringing. His parents are probably idiots too.

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=82817

$42.50, not a bad price, lot of cool uses too for other things, works really nicely and cleanly