What your workstation looks like?

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

mrlexan
Approved Member

Re: What your workstation looks like?

Post by mrlexan »

I think the problem lies here in the US..... Being in the auto industry for 10 years, I have to talk to all mine engineers, designers, and techs in millimeters. I am to the point where I think that way at work, then you come home and work on a house, go to Home Depot, talk with the wife and you have to switch back over to Standard units. I had to train my mind to, when given one or the other, depending on who I was talking to, convert units from mm to in or in to mm. Initially, talk about confusing.

We just can't make up our minds.
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

Tadracket
Approved Member

Post by Tadracket »

Well, I am from a proud although poor heritage and I believe we should hold things dear that make America the wonderful screwy place it is. But when it comes to SAE, I say give it up. I use to argue for SAE when I was a Ninja rider and all the forums where metric based, but really metric is the easier way to go. At least that is my 2 cents.
He's an idiot. Comes from upbringing. His parents are probably idiots too.

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

You should see the situation we have in the UK.
We buy our fuel in litres yet we measure our cars economy as miles per gallon. :?

Engineering is more or less metric but I order sheets of 12mm thick plywood in 8' x 4' sheets and acrylic and polycarbonate sheets (again in millimetre thicknesses) in 10' x 5' sheets :?
And I order 2" x 1" timber in metre lengths :lol:

hkp
Approved Member

Post by hkp »

We weigh ourselves in Stones and Pounds, measure ourselves in feet and inches and order TVs by the inch.. also beer is in pints.. But nearly everything else is metric.. its crazy!

the weirdest one is when we mix 'em up like terry said, its always with cars - Tyres are sold in centimeters x inches.. I guess that's the same for you US folks?

Synergy
Approved Member

Post by Synergy »

Apparently when building Concord the parts done in the UK were measured in feet and inches and the bits made in France were metric measurement, the design / engineering meetings must have been quite entertaining and confusing :shock: :lol:
Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Here's my TC Showroom
http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=18028

Tadracket
Approved Member

Post by Tadracket »

tomstacey wrote:...Tyres are sold in centimeters x inches.. I guess that's the same for you US folks?
Depends on the tire. Most passenger tires use the formula: width in mm by % of width for sidewall height by rim diameter in inches. Ex: 255x70x17

Offroad tires use inches and they are height by width by rim. Ex: 31x10.50x17

Although the numbers look totally different, these tires are almost the same size.

There are exceptions to the rule but this is the jest of it. And this is to my experiences which are not always right. So if someone has anything different, let me know.

Tadracket
Approved Member

Post by Tadracket »

FERRETTI wrote:Apparently when building Concord the parts done in the UK were measured in feet and inches and the bits made in France were metric measurement, the design / engineering meetings must have been quite entertaining and confusing :shock: :lol:
Even the rain men were carrying calculators :?: :?

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

A half hearted attempt at a 360° shot of things from my cell phone but i got one none the less. I think i need an r/c cleaining lady. :shock:

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Finally have something worth contributing here. The last 6 months have been hell dealing with the old house and the new house, and having a mortgage on both. I've finally been able to get my new workshop up to speed and almost complete. There are still temporary work surfaces for now, and a few things missing that will happen when the old place sells, but at least for now, it's a great "man room" for me and Jack (my cat) to hang out.

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

Looks good Doug... I really miss having a house........... BTW, I like the SRP ad on the wall! :D
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

templeofspeed
Approved Member

Post by templeofspeed »

What's with all the nitro motors, Doug? :shock: :shock: BTW, Jim Ruff says hi. I just managed to get his old Ralph Burch Jr replica Jomac Lightning 2000. Neat piece with it's original Schkee body. I'll post up some pics in the non-RC10 section in a day or two.

[/hijack]

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

mrlexan wrote:Looks good Doug... I really miss having a house........... BTW, I like the SRP ad on the wall! :D
Thanks, I thought you'd like that. :D

templeofspeed wrote:What's with all the nitro motors, Doug? :shock: :shock: BTW, Jim Ruff says hi. I just managed to get his old Ralph Burch Jr replica Jomac Lightning 2000. Neat piece with it's original Schkee body. I'll post up some pics in the non-RC10 section in a day or two.
Heh, I had two nitro sprint cars, and one of the motors was the lump in the 2nd car. I sold the second car and kept the motor as a spare. The second motor in that lot was rebuilt from $50 of spare parts and a new P/S. The third is a basket case waiting for a pinch or a complete rebuild. They are all Novarossi RS12s. Next summer, the big guns come out as I'm planning my race season around 1/8th on-road racing with the Midwest Series. I've always wanted to race on world-class road race tracks. ;)

Looking forward to seeing that Jomac from Jim. :D

d

aeiou
Approved Member

Post by aeiou »

Eau Rouge, how can you find anything in that mess? :lol:

Seriously, that’s nice workshop. I really like the flooring. Is that a tile or sheet good product?

Paul

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

http://www.tuffsealtile.com

They are 2' x 2' tiles that are water tight and recycled. Pricey, but for my small application, it was a perfect fit. I installed it myself in a few hours.

hkp
Approved Member

Post by hkp »

A very neat and tidy setup Doug! Will it stay that way for long?

Oh, and fine choice of computer Sir.. The same as mine - Is she an Intel or G5?