New Tamiya releases

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Lowgear
Administrator

Re: New Tamiya releases

Post by Lowgear »

Tamiya comes across to me now as a company that can no longer come up with any new ideas that are good so they're just going to re-release all their old models again in hopes they can still capitalize off their past success. Exactly like what the movie industry is doing.

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

Lowgear wrote:Tamiya comes across to me now as a company that can no longer come up with any new ideas that are good so they're just going to re-release all their old models again in hopes they can still capitalize off their past success. Exactly like what the movie industry is doing.
i kinda disagree with that in part.
Ive thought about it, and whether or not tamiya re-released these models for this reason is unknown to me... but i believe the reason, at least in part, is this...

First RC is basically a dying industry, kids want to play console games, not bash RC cars anymore. I believe tamiya's demographic has always been children getting started in RC, with the small percentage of racing that they do. If children arent buying RC Cars anymore like they did in the 80's, they need to expand their demographic, to the people who bought these cars originally, 25-40 year olds. and i think it was a brilliant move on their part...

i believe tamiya is selling a ton of these models and making a huge profit to sustain their RC Division in a tough era right now for RC. PROBABLY with molds they already had left over, along with all the tooling and schematics needed (like rough rider/scorcher, hotshot, frog, grasshopper, fast attack, holiday buggy was a wreck but i think it sold strong)..

I mean tamiya releases a ton of junk, fire dragon? keen hawk? etc etc., but i think its a great move to get people back into RC possibly, and sales seem strong... how many frogs do you think tamiya has sold since they re-re'd it. probably a ton.

U look at other companies like Associated, now thunder tiger, and wonder why they dont re-produce the RC10 Gold Pan as a original collectors edition car?? i dont know... i think the HARDEST part of that would be re-making the chasis/nose/motor plates... everything else could be injection molded, and since those molds are probably going to be made in china, and costing absolutely nothing in china to make, i think it would be a great move for them.. associated has almost completely gotten away from RC buggies, even though they won the worlds this year, they still have yet to release a B5 buggy, and with losi releasing the 22, kyosho releasing a SP worlds edition RB5, and the durango buggy coming out soon, what the heck is associated waiting for. i doubt they even have a buggy in the works..

Kyosho would probably see a TON of sales on re-re's, I would start with the Ultima Rollcage Mk1 model, then a Turbo Optima, then a javelin, then maybe a later model ultima like the pro. Hell if they did a scorpion or tomahawk too they would probably sell a ton... there is really very few parts for a scorpion and tomahawk, most of it is mold pot metal, and a few injection molded peices.. Even trany case and arms and molded pot metal...

Would it hurt the collectors? Sure, just their feelings... If you are collecting RC parts for financial investment, u need to expand your portfolio tommorow... I collect and restore cars, and spend too much $ on them sometimes.. If i had a collection of 10 javelin's worth thousands and kyosho re-re'd them, well too bad for me.. Prices are crazy on some of these parts now anyway, last javelin cage i saw sell was over $300 i believe.

Anyway rant over, i think tamiya did the right thing... Remade vintage cars to appeal to the only demographic that still buys RC cars, the 25-40+ generation.

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

I think tamiya is doing the right thing with trhe rere idea.. its like football ,if you have a play that always makes you get 4 yards thats the only play you need to run..

ireg
Approved Member

Post by ireg »

Well I heard that the Bajra is now available in our LHS.
But the price is a headache, lucky for me I'm not an Avante fan :)

ireg
Approved Member

Post by ireg »

WIlly's Pajero Re-Re, :P

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Oh man are they serious? If so they're really grasping at straws now!

They had the Pajero that used an almost identical chassis as the LB/MP, and now all these years latter somebody said "Hey, why don't we re-release the LB/MP AGAIN but this time with the Pajero body?!" To which the higher-ups undoubtedly proclaimed "Brilliant! Give that man a raise!"

Well at least now all of the LB/MP fans have a new rim color choice, and others can restore their Pajeros with new bodies. On the other hand I'm sure a lot of people are crying over this one as those Pajero hard bodies commanded some good money.

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

jamin
Approved Member

Post by jamin »

mikedealer wrote: Kyosho would probably see a TON of sales on re-re's, I would start with the Ultima Rollcage Mk1 model, then a Turbo Optima, then a javelin, then maybe a later model ultima like the pro. Hell if they did a scorpion or tomahawk too they would probably sell a ton... there is really very few parts for a scorpion and tomahawk, most of it is mold pot metal, and a few injection molded peices.. Even trany case and arms and molded pot metal...
I'd love to see Kyosho do re-re's! I'd have an Optima Mid Custom of them straight away as it was my first real RC car. I will never forget that car with a Trinity Monster Horsepower motor in it and the first time I opened the throttle up down our driveway - my dad told me off for swearing! :lol:

ireg
Approved Member

Post by ireg »

tamiyadan wrote:i've always wanted a willy's wheeler, they should repop those.
Lowgear wrote:Oh man are they serious? If so they're really grasping at straws now!

They had the Pajero that used an almost identical chassis as the LB/MP, and now all these years latter somebody said "Hey, why don't we re-release the LB/MP AGAIN but this time with the Pajero body?!" To which the higher-ups undoubtedly proclaimed "Brilliant! Give that man a raise!"

Well at least now all of the LB/MP fans have a new rim color choice, and others can restore their Pajeros with new bodies. On the other hand I'm sure a lot of people are crying over this one as those Pajero hard bodies commanded some good money.
http://www.tamiya.com/japan/products/58499montero_wheelie/index.htm

It came from Tamiya's site but can't under stand the wordings :lol:

ireg
Approved Member

Post by ireg »

double post :?

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

If you run the page through Google translate the title is:

Willy Mitsubishi Pajero
MITSUBISHI MONTERO WHEELIE

Confusing :lol:

I don't think they should put Willy or Wheelie in its name as I feel it cheapens the LB/MP legacy. They couldn't at least give it new decals and call it something unique? I mean come on really?? If the best they can do is throw together old kits these days than they should try and come up with some better names.

I feel a rant coming on so I better suppress it. :?

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

ROH73
Approved Member

Post by ROH73 »

The Lunchbox and Midnight Pumpkin are based on the original Pajero.

The original Wild Willy, Willy's Wheeler, Audi Quattro Rally and Opel Ascona 400 Rally all share a completely different chassis.

So, Tamiya really should keep the name Willy out of the new Pajero.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

either way, it sucks :mrgreen:
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

ireg wrote:WIlly's Pajero Re-Re, :P

I built one of these for a guy years ago on a lucnch box chassis. I would buy one it was a lot of fun and my lunch box is still one of my best cars.
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714