Even old dragsters and gasers are worth a fortune

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Re: Even old dragsters and gassers are worth a fortune

Post by MelvinsArmy »

tizeye wrote:me and a friend are heading away this weekend to check out a couple of projects that are up for sale.... I'm leaning towards this coupe most of the hard work has been done...and we could build it to race in the muscle car unlimited class (circuit racing)..and even in Targa events..V10 power watch out
Sick!

scr8p
Administrator

Re: Even old dragsters and gasers are worth a fortune

Post by scr8p »

those new baldwin motion cars are a joke...... to me. i hate when people slap historical names on any 'ole POS. those new cars are so far away from what baldwin motion was it's pathetic.

i was soooo close to scoring a 69 baldwin motion nova about 12 years ago for $500. the guy had no idea what he really had, or just didn't care. it was a roller (no motor/trans), but it still had the motion front and rear spoilers. by the time i got back to the guys house with the money, there was already a guy there with the money. i knew i should've given him a deposit................ :evil:

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

markt311 wrote:I thought the shop in Texas that was building Eleanors got shut down by the feds.
I didn't here about that. Why did they get shut down? Forging VIN's?

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

mrlexan wrote:Great looking Boss Justin. Thanks for sharing.
Those pics are from before I started on it, wait until it's done! It will be Whimbelton<sp> White when it's done, which is the original color. The cars has a lot of cool history too, besides the fact that it is a Boss. The guy has taken it all around the country for rallies, sprints, and hill climbs. He has the little badges from various events plastered all over inside the car.

I also found the original build sheet under carpet, under the drivers seat. That may not sound like much to some, but to me and the owner it was like finding buried treasure. 8)

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

scr8p wrote:
justinspeed79 wrote:Another project I have going on right now. A 66' fastback. The guy grabbed a little too much throttle going through a turn, and got up-close and personal with a big ole tree.
that's the best kind of ford.............. a wrecked one. :P :P :lol:
LOL.... :P

I could post some pics of the POS 55 Bel Air I am working on, but I am too embarrassed to show it too anyone. It's one of THOSE cars, you know, where you make the owner agree to not tell anyone you worked on it. :lol:

markt311
Approved Member

Post by markt311 »

justinspeed79 wrote:
markt311 wrote:I thought the shop in Texas that was building Eleanors got shut down by the feds.

I'm not sure what the deal was, I see Eleanors are being build by Classic Recreations now. When the show Rides did an episode on them they were being built by Ultimate Motorsports.
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

markt311 wrote:
justinspeed79 wrote:

I'm not sure what the deal was, I see Eleanors are being build by Classic Recreations now. When the show Rides did an episode on them they were being built by Ultimate Motorsports.
they were built by Unique Performance in Farmers Branch Texas with old Vins Carrol Shelby had. they just used old mustangs and just retitled them as needed I sold them my 67 Scode fastback. to build one with. they got busted for useing the nicer cars they bought on Ebay with out titles and changed the vin with rustbuckets that were beond repair but had titles.
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

justinspeed79 wrote:It's one of THOSE cars, you know, where you make the owner agree to not tell anyone you worked on it. :lol:
ya, THOSE cars suck. we don't even do them anymore. if we can't do stuff right, we tell them that this isn't the right place for their car. it takes alot longer to build a good reputation than i does to wreck it. :wink:

this is our newest addition to our shop. a numbers matching, 1 of 153 68 hurst oldsmobile, with a/c. the owner of this is the same guy we do all of the other oldsmobiles for. well he was too impatient to get this car done, and we were in the middle of redoing his 67 442 convertible, so he took it to another shop to have them do a complete nut and bolt restoration. well he got the car back about 9-10 months ago. it cost him about $92,000, and now we get the unenviable task of redoing everything on the car except the chassis and drivetrain. the panel fitment, bodywork, and the paint are freakin' horrible. as we work on getting it torn down, we keep finding more and more wrong with the car. it's a complete abortion. looks alright in pics, big ol' mess in person. :roll:
007.JPG
we're also doing a 68 442 for him also (actually a cutlass, but will be 442 clone). 2 new 1/4's, outer wheel houses, used trunk, 2 used doors, 2 used fenders with new bottoms on both, used hood, patches around the windshield and back window (rotted because of vinyl top), and replaced the top of the cowl. but the floors and rockers are solid....... go figure. :lol:
006.JPG
that car was the parts car we got for this 68 f-85 we built for him. once this one was done he figured screw it, might as well just do this one too now. :lol:
072.JPG
and we still have that 63 impala we've been working on. i got done spraying the last of the body panels painted for that on friday (hood and scoop). it takes him forever to get us part though, so that one isn't gonna be done any time soon. but, atleast i got it all painted before it started getting too cold outside. i hate painting in a garage in winter. :roll:

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Okay, so there is one car on Earth I would take over the Miura SV or any other car. And, I do mean any.

This is my dad's 1969 Buick GS 400. He ordered it brand new from Buick in 69 to his liking, Hurst shifter, no power anything or extra stuff. This is the car I was brought home from the hospital in. My parents said was crying a bit before they took me home, but when I got in the car I shut up and seemed to enjoy myself. This was his daily driver for quite a while, it was put into storage in 1981 I believe and then brought out around 1990-91 and restored. He had it appraised by the GS Club of America and the guy told him it was one of the nicest and cleanest 400's he had ever seen. It's like a family member to us. A lot of fun to cruise around in.
Attachments
4185_1096490543850_1574192304_204665_7022959_n.jpg

tizeye
Approved Member

Post by tizeye »

Cool car I love it...is that your dad behind the wheel?..those pictures of your folks are one day going to be worth more to you than the damn car..I wish I had pics of my dad in some of his cars.. :cry:

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

scr8p wrote: ya, THOSE cars suck. we don't even do them anymore. if we can't do stuff right, we tell them that this isn't the right place for their car.
We normally don't do them either, only high end stuff, but this is for a good friend of my boss. He got taken for a ride bad when he bought the car, so my boss feels bad for him. We turn down a lot of cars because the people just don't want to spend the money to do it right, and like you, right is the only way we do it. We give a lifetime warranty on all of out work too (except this 55), so we pretty much have to do it right, or do it again for free lol....

matthew john
Banned Member

Post by matthew john »

now why cant a poor man's muscle car be worth that much :lol: like a 76 vega,all tubbed out with all the goodies? :)

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

tizeye wrote:Cool car I love it...is that your dad behind the wheel?..those pictures of your folks are one day going to be worth more to you than the damn car..I wish I had pics of my dad in some of his cars.. :cry:
Yep, that's him.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

i'd like to build a buick gs. 72 though. :)

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

Wow I didnt know their was so many car guys here. I have a home shop also thats what I have been doing for a while now. I wish people under stood how long good work takes and how much it cost. here is a 69 Mach 1 I just finished all new quartes doors fenders all but the roof.
Attachments
DSCF0002 (6).JPG
DSCF0004 (6).JPG
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714