RC10T buggy thingy

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

vintage AE
Approved Member

Re: RC10T buggy thingy

Post by vintage AE »

slotcarrod wrote:Anthony, you need to adjust your slipper a bit on the loose side. All that torque is being transferred to the gears in the transmission. Set it so it slips for about 12" under hard acceleration.

As a mod. I would think you could use the top shaft of the B4 and the better B4 slipper in your 2.25 stealth case, but I am not sure. However I don't think you need this mod. The 2.25 slipper should work well and the transmission should be strong with the new idler gear.
I think that should work too! The B4 slipper/top shaft ass. with the aluminum idle gear should be strong enough. Can you hook me up with the B4 parts when I get into town?

I would like to keep it vintage, lol I really should save this rig for the beach and not abuse it so much. no more skate parks for this one, BUT I did just discover an small BMX park within my own subdivision (SCORE).

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

That thing is a BEAST and one of my all-time favorites on here. :mrgreen: With all that power keep plenty of spare parts in reserve. I'm still working to bridge the gap between huge power and reliabilty with fun to drive and roadworthy. :? It's fun as hell to keep testing though! :wink: :mrgreen:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

thanks!
yup, lots of spare parts and a lot of thread lock. I even had to put thread lock on the spur gear screws. I think all the screws are coated in it now. I will take some time but I'll bullet proof it somehow.

Soncho Ponza
Approved Member

Post by Soncho Ponza »

This is such a bad ass thrashing rig. You took some of the cool old parts that people wish they could find and your beatn the hell out of it. I think your having more fun than anyoneone else on this site. Thats awsome. We all did this when this stuff was brand new. Makes me remember why i got my first rc-10 and how much fun i had with it. You KEEP thashing il keep watching :P

CNA75
Approved Member

Post by CNA75 »

Have you thought about making that machine 4wd? looks great but that seems to be the one thing missing from the character of the vehicle....

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

I have...briefly. I have not yet converted one over to 4wd yet. You are right though, sometimes when I'm running it up hills etc. I think that it would be nice. Those kits are probably hard to come by now. I have seen any for sale lately.

Ultimately, I am going to put narrow tires on the front, paddle tires on the rear and run it as a sand buggy. Maybe there will be another in the making with 4wd down the road

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

I got some new wheels today amongst other things. The J82 front wheels and tires and a set of panthers paddle tires on JConcepts wheels, quick disconnect axles, some FT turnbuckles, and wide front axles (which the pins didn't fit, so going back for some different ones). It's already for the sand now. I also got a full set of Dirt Hawgs with some RPM Torkerz too for the on/off road usage.

here is something to ogle at for now
DSCN65677.jpg
DSCN65699.jpg

Chewbacca
Approved Member

Post by Chewbacca »

man...

that thing is getting better every time you post new pics
*** POWDER - KING ***

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

thanks!
I started off with a good idea, now I'm working on the details. I think Charlie don't surf has a VGC top deck that I might buy from him. That should make the chassis stronger. Also, I got to figure out how to tie it into the front bulk head. It actually is handling quite well without the stiffness. The flex absorbs the impact when it ends up sliding on those tall front shock towers, probably saving them from busting in two (or three).

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

Man that looks awesome. It looks like a mean sandrail. :mrgreen:

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

i was at the LHS and slotcarrod hooked me up with some matching rear shocks and i got the set of B4 front axles drilled out to fit the pins to widen the front wheel base...take a look!
DSCN65744.jpg
finally matching shocks
finally matching shocks

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

It looks good with the widened stance. Have to get more videos of it now. :mrgreen:

Diggley
Approved Member

Post by Diggley »

Now THAT'S a freakin' buggy!!

That is one of the coolest builds on here.

I love the quick change axle set up!

It makes a stocker look wimpy.
Projects and shelfers:
Late Edinger, RC10B2, Dual Sport, GT, Kyosho Turbo Ultima, Triumph, Tamiya Sand Scorcher, Blackfoot/Monster Beetle, '67 Beetle, Nikko Rhino, Traxxas Fiero, Slash, Hand-built Dune Buggy..all on here somewhere...

Chewbacca
Approved Member

Post by Chewbacca »

have you driven it since the last changes?
*** POWDER - KING ***

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

yeah, BUT

I also have a set of lugnut rear tires that fit the quick release (which works great) and apparently I didn't glue them good enough. I was showing it off to a buddy of mine and ran it anyway (such a bad idea). I ended up stripping the diff gear possibly because there was so much power that was out of balance. So I have an extra diff gear and an aluminum idler gear on the way. Once I get those I'm saving it for the sand so I can use those paddle tires. I think I will need a aluminum diff gear to keep her going for longer periods of time. But I made sure all of my new tires are well glued and with some adjustments to the slipper I can make it last too. I will have action pics by the end of the summer but asap if I can.