Approved Member

Re: 2010 VINTAGE OFFROAD NATIONALS OFFICIAL THREAD• SEPT 16-

Post by Eau Rouge »

Who took home Concours honors?

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

tecnica2001 wrote:Get rid of the Super Stock class....the 17.5 buggies were as fast if not faster than the super stock buggies.
who'da thought........ :roll:

but that's all i'll say about it since i wasn't able to make it up there anyway. try again next year......

reign79
Approved Member

Post by reign79 »

Who took home Concours honors?
A shelf queen rc10 with led lights in it, not in the race.
Ryan

tazz888
Approved Member

Post by tazz888 »

It was a great weekend as always. John, Mark, Erich and the rest of the RCHR crew put.on a great event. Even the trophy were unique.

Here are the changes I think would help next year.....

Loose the super stock buggy class.
Make 4wd an open mod class like it was back on the day.
Make heavy metal be the blackfoot, lunchbox,hilux,ect class and make a monster truck class for the clods, usa 1, double dare, ect. I bet more would show up if they know they will be competing with other monsters only. I'm building for for next.year myself in hopes that they have a seperate class. maybe allow mild modifies or 13.5 brushless in them.

Besides that I don't think anything needs to change.
Ron DePoto
Team Driver:
Schumacher / Speedpassion / Core RC / Express Motorsports / Dialed Inc. / ROAR Region 1 Director

SRTracer121
Approved Member

Post by SRTracer121 »

does anyone know if jeff maturo was there? he promised me a snow globe

jk :lol:

edit just got done watching all the vids and looking through all the pics, you guys really look like ya had a great time!

soniccj5
Approved Member

Post by soniccj5 »

SRTracer121 wrote:
edit just got done watching all the vids and looking through all the pics, you guys really look like ya had a great time!

did I miss something? Where are the videos posted?

ED

dandaman

Post by dandaman »

excellent weekend at rchr for vonats.i was there and had a great time.want to thank eric and john and mark for the great job for putting this race together.

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

soniccj5 wrote:
SRTracer121 wrote:

did I miss something? Where are the videos posted?

ED
Freddy's link had some pics and videos: http://s333.photobucket.com/albums/m386/tecnica2001/2010%20Vintage%20Off%20Road%20Nationals/
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

MelvinsArmy wrote:I would have loved to come back and raced, but I got tired of pleading my case about Clod motors. I'm not going to take a weekend out of my year and spend a few hundred dollars to be a silver canned moving road block. The solution seemed very simple to me, but what do I know?
Melvin what was wrong with the half a dozen options I gave you?

I'm glad everyone had a good time and I agree about SS. I'm also thinking that maybe a class for Kingcabs, etc and one for Clods, etc would be good idea and I'm going to try and work it out for next year. Having enough trucks (or cars) for a class always comes first though because let's face it... no one wants to watch three cars race each other. Like I said... we'll try something different and if it doesn't work we'll try something ELSE different next time. Frankly if one new class that anyone had no intention of running, while they had another 6 to choose from, was the reason they didn't come then I don't know what to tell you. Don't buy an automobile because you don't the Honda Civic or don't go grocery shopping because you don't like chicken. I apologize for disappointing you to the extent of missing out on the bigger picture.

Along a similar note... what was the deal with the Tamiya cars they GAVE us? Have people (on this board or at the race) lost that much touch with what made this a fun thing (our hobby) to do in the first place that they're ABOVE a free car? I thought those were honestly perfect cars for the racers there... one that could be raced next year and one that's a re-re of a highly collectible car? It saddens me to see people be so arrogant about donated prizes. The manufactures don't have to give us anything but they do out of their own generosity and as far as I'm concerned, anyone ignorant enough to think they're toy car collection is better than that can stay home from now on because they COMPLETELY miss the point.

Sorry if I'm more than a bit cross about some of the comments on here but how am I supposed to feel? Myself, Jon and Mark all bust our asses, put out a great amount of time, energy and money just so YOU can have fun. I'm not looking to pay bills from the race... lol frankly I don't even break even. While the track may actually make money from having the race... shouldn't they? Isn't that WHY they exist and have races? Regardless, if so many people don't:

• like a class yet offer no solutions other than "i don't like it"
• don't like a FREE r/c car because it's not cool enough for their collection
• want to tell the owner of the track how he rips people off because he puts $5 mark up on his bodies, all while this person is bringing in a car to sell on consignment that he didn't even BUY from the shop (yes this was a real argument this weekend)
• or someone tell me they didn't have any choices and that's why they didn't want to come after I bend over backwards to be accommodating

then maybe we don't need to continue. I'd like to leave off that I came up with this race so that we could all meet and have a good time and that was THE ONLY reason I have ever done this. Over the past two years it's turned into people going at each other about the car they run, coming at me about something I think would make it open for more people to be part of, and complain about the prizes they could win aren't good enough. I know it's not everyone and that it's typically the couple that ruin it for the group (I do race oval ya know lol). Just makes me sad to see how much this board may have changed if that's the case with people on here. I remember a day where if ANYONE started an argument or came at someone, everyone quickly put it out because we were all FRIENDS. We had each others backs... not talked behind them.

I'll post my much more positive notes and news from the race later... I feel its important to let this one sink in for a bit.

Mark Westerfield
Approved Member

Post by Mark Westerfield »

Everybody at the race is gonna put together a runner with beat up spare parts, which is just fine and a lot less stressful than running a shelf queen. If you expect the race to be filled with "shelf queen" vintage r/c cars, well that's just not going to happen. Shelf queens do just that, sit on a shelf, not race. I would be surprised if a single person on this forum would be willing to run their prized shelf queen. Its just more fun to play with your toy cars, and let the race organizers run the race.

Concourse Best of Show winner, a non raced car, I'm pretty sure for the third year in a row (that just happens to be when we do get to see the shelf queens). I can say I'm pretty much going to pick the best car entered (raced or not) every year - so bring on the shelf queens!

I had a blast running a box stock silver can motored Clod buster, It did what clods do best, run over other r/c cars! Ha!

I think all the cars racing in the Super Stock class were running 17.5 motors anyway. Maybe we will allow 13.5's in 4wd next year.

The novice class was awesome, All girls spending the weekend racing with their fathers (without moms)! How cool is that?

I could not believe how good some of the guys got some of those cars tuned, Brandon Giles' JRX-T was a Cadillac, Scott Puma's Cox Scorpion was just plain awesome, and Brandon Deverode's Tamiya Hornet was absolutely dialed with spring friction shocks and box-stock front tires!

Thanks to all the racers that made the event a great success and we hope you'll come back next year!

Here are the main event results...

http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachments/track-locator-forum/644693d1285038125-radio-control-hobbies-raceway-waterbury-ct-2010vintage.pdf

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

Thanks Mark. I came in from laying in the road just to say that. :)

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Erich Reichert wrote:
MelvinsArmy wrote:I would have loved to come back and raced, but I got tired of pleading my case about Clod motors. I'm not going to take a weekend out of my year and spend a few hundred dollars to be a silver canned moving road block. The solution seemed very simple to me, but what do I know?
Not one of them would have made a Clod even close to competitive against a Blackfoot. Let alone a King Cab. That's what was wrong Erich. In other words, the only real option you gave me was a silver can motor.

I'm not trying to knock what you and the RCRH crew do. I wanted to race my Clod. I had been looking forward to it all year, since I saw the Clod run in 2009. I didn't feel that putting a pair of silver cans (my only real option) in a Clodbuster (a truck that is geared considerably slower to begin with) against a field of 27t and brushless King Cabs, Blackfoot, etc was worth spending several hundred dollars on a hotel and rental car, just to roll around the track being passed by the rest of the field.

While I never expect to win anything that I enter (that's not why I participate in the first place) it would be nice to at least have a fighting chance and be something more than a moving road block.

Again, not trying to take away from the race, those who run it, participate in it, or anything and I am certainly not looking to start an argument just for the heck of it. Just expressing the main reason why I have dropped out.

By the way, Tamiya cars are my favorites. Don't let anyone over on that vintage RC10 message board know I said that though. :lol:

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

MelvinsArmy wrote:
Erich Reichert wrote:

By the way, Tamiya cars are my favorites. Don't let anyone over on that vintage RC10 message board know I said that though. :lol:

Holy crap, I think that Scr8p just built a Tamiya and Jay just built an RC10 :shock:

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

MelvinsArmy wrote: Not one of them would have made a Clod even close to competitive against a Blackfoot. Let alone a King Cab. That's what was wrong Erich. In other words, the only real option you gave me was a silver can motor.
I don't really agree but I guess we can just agree to disagree. What were you looking for as far as a motor option? I absolutely agree about being against a Kingcab... its apples and oranges however I have seen Clods do some pretty amazing things and be very racey in my time. I guess I just missed having you there and it would've been nice to see you again man. Now would you PLEASE just bring your AE from the year before and enjoy yourself next year! :)

Soncho Ponza
Approved Member

Post by Soncho Ponza »

:cry: Missed it again....You guys look like you all had a blast...