2013 TEKIN VINTAGE OFFROAD NATIONALS • SEPT 13-15TH

Post about upcoming or past events.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

stickboy007
Approved Member

Re: 2013 VINTAGE OFFROAD NATIONALS • SEPT 13-15TH

Post by stickboy007 »

That's a tricky one. The Danbury Mall is about a 15-20 minute drive from Bethel. Lots of stuff to do there...

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

stickboy007 wrote:Another question here, either for Erich or Brandon...?

The Classic class...

The definition given for Classic is "non-pro" chassis. The original RC10 is allowed in this class, but for its time it was a pro chassis. So is there a clear way here to define the boundary between a non-pro and a pro chassis? A friend of mine has a gold pan chassis with the older 6 gear transmission. Would that qualify for the Classic class? Would aftermarket bits be allowed on it, or should it remain as stock as possible?

I recall a previous post that Erich had regarding the use of plastic, non-double-deck chassis for the non-pro Tamiya chassis in this class. I have two chassis in mind that complicate this definition. The first is the Tamiya Top Force. It has a double deck FRP chassis (and the Top Force Evo had a double deck carbon fiber chassis), but was otherwise just a TA01/TA02. Is the double deck chassis alone, and/or the use of carbon fiber, enough to disqualify it? The other is the Tamiya Vanquish. It had a plastic chassis, but was otherwise just a cheaper version of the Tamiya Egress, which was a "pro" or pro-like chassis. Would the suspension/gearbox/etc. be enough to disqualify the Vanquish from the Classic class?

Sorry to be such a lawyer about this, but I just want to get some clarity here, since this appears to me to be an understandably difficult class to draw clear boundaries for. Thanks!

original short are 6 gear rc10 with box stock tires and wheels can run in classics, same goes for 100% stock jrx2's, stock rubber is the key here.

ta01/ta02 (df01 is the buggy designation) are allowed, but i would think only the plastic tub chassis cars. once you get into the double deck, long shock, adj tie rod cars then they fall into 4wd mod. from what i understand.
i think the topforce and vanquish are just too advanced for classics, maybe they'd be ok if we treated them like the gold pan where you have to run small diameter stock wheels with hard rubber stock tires. that my be enough to level the playing feild with the plastic fantastics.

just my .02

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

Thanks for the info, kaiser.

Chassis like the Top Force and Vanquish appear to fall somewhere in the middle. Too advanced for Classic, but way outclassed in 4wd by the Kyosho Lazer, Schumacher Cat, and Yokomo YZ10. I do like the idea of nerfing them with smaller wheels and hard rubber tires, and maybe that would be the best thing for these mid-level Tamiyas...? Erich, do you have any thoughts on this?

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

erich's still sleeping off hos bachelor party hangover. lol

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

stickboy007 wrote:Thanks for the info, kaiser.

Chassis like the Top Force and Vanquish appear to fall somewhere in the middle. Too advanced for Classic, but way outclassed in 4wd by the Kyosho Lazer, Schumacher Cat, and Yokomo YZ10. I do like the idea of nerfing them with smaller wheels and hard rubber tires, and maybe that would be the best thing for these mid-level Tamiyas...? Erich, do you have any thoughts on this?
Top Force it’s to modern car for the “Classic” class, cars had to be -84 or older as I understand it. You have to run it in the 4WD class.
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

1994 is the cutoff, but classics is limited to "entry level" cars, but hobbled rc10's and jrx2's and ultimas are allowed if on kit rubber.

Toypainter

Post by Toypainter »

I am trying to start a vintage class at my local track. I have proposed using the VONATS rules, but some of the racers are concerned that if we use the 1994 cutoff date that the B2 and XX cars will be a lot better than the older cars. What have the results looked like at the Nats using these rules?
Thanks for any input you may have.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

the b2 isn't legal, didn't come out until 95.

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

..and I think at the Vonats if you try to run CR parts on your XX, I heard you have to wear a skirt and eye makeup all day or something like that. I don't know for certain, (I live too far away to know facts though - just rumors). 8)
- Brian -

My Gallery

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

Y'ernat Al wrote:..and I think at the Vonats if you try to run CR parts on your XX, I heard you have to wear a skirt and eye makeup all day or something like that. I don't know for certain, (I live too far away to know facts though - just rumors). 8)
it's true. not to mention that you have to clean everyones tires and make lunch for everyone, all with a smile on your face.

R/Cat
Approved Member

Post by R/Cat »

I'm really excited about the Vonats! I've been in the hobby a looong time and dreamed about racing on a real track at an official event for many years and never had the chance so I'm definitely going to be there...gotta cross this off the bucket list. After recently discovering this event and being that I'm only 2 hours and 20 minutes away by car in NJ, it's really a no-brainer. I'm coming with an original Wild One to run in classic class since I want time to watch other races, cruise the pits, talk with fellow hobbyists and generally just soak up the experience. Most of my collection is vintage so I have several options in years to come.

That said, if anyone who's attended this event has any tips, suggestions or advice for a first-timer I'd appreciate it.

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

#1 tip, prepare to have fun!

i like the make the friday practice session and extend the fun an extra day.

bring a chair, ezup if you have one, extention cord, and a cooler of course.

R/Cat
Approved Member

Post by R/Cat »

kaiser wrote:#1 tip, prepare to have fun!

i like the make the friday practice session and extend the fun an extra day.

bring a chair, ezup if you have one, extention cord, and a cooler of course.
OK, thanks. Not sure what an ezup is though (small table to work on, I assume?). Yeah, I plan to make the Friday practice session, of course. Do racers practice all day or do most just put in a few laps around the track and head home? What about track/time specifics like what the hours are each day, who the racers report to, etc? Will that be spelled out before we get there or will we be briefed upon arrival? How about track conditions...I'm assuming it's modern-style compact dirt so what tires do most racers run? Thanks for the info.

Mike

j0pp3
Approved Member

Post by j0pp3 »

Hi guys!

Two questions.

Let's say I participate in the 4WD class with a Kyosho Optima Mid (long wheel base). Is a homemade chassis allowed? I have made an exact copy of an original alloy chassis but in fiber glass. See image below. I have no problems using an original alloy but just want to know.

The other question. The Optima Mid series was made in six versions. Do I have to run one of them exactly stock or could the car be a mix of them?
Cheers
Joel

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

"period correct" mods are acceptable, so you're good to go with that chassis or any mix of parts from back in the day.