Recapturing a childhood memory

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Re: Recapturing a childhood memory

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Good news is almost everyone trimmed the spikes down on the x patterns back then, so cut them square and they are perfect!

madweazl
Approved Member

Post by madweazl »

Asso_man! wrote:They are indeed X-pattern (and correct tires for a stock JRX-pro) but they look to have been run on asphalt. The spikes should have a squared tip...
Were they directional? Seems like the outside pins are different than the inside pins but maybe that was just wear?

madweazl
Approved Member

Post by madweazl »

Found a supposedly "new" Jrx Pro on ebay the other day and decided to go for it. Won the auction and am now awaiting it to arrive but I'm super excited. I'm going to set the one up in this thread as a runner and I'll put the new car on shelf queen status. Cant wait to start running this guy again and I really hope the vintage class gets going at the local track (quite a bit of interest). Will update with pics when it shows up.

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

I ran mine yesterday @ Pegasus in Montclair...they run fantastic with modern electronics & rubber.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

madweazl
Approved Member

Post by madweazl »

Shelf queen should be here Tuesday; cant wait!

madweazl
Approved Member

Post by madweazl »

Wow, wow is just all I can come up with to say. The "new" almost finished JrX Pro showed up today and I couldnt be happier with the $202.50 purchase. There were a few things you just couldnt see in the pictures so I wasnt exactly sure how it would all turn out. The box is pretty beat up but the contents were a treasure chest for me. The poor guy was a total solder hack; an attempt was made to install the motor capacitors but he must have had a very poor quality iron because there is a giant booger of solder on there (and applied to the label vice the other side of the can :lol: ). Other than being a bit dusty, it looks to be flawless at this point. The gear cover was never cut out and neither was the wing (or wing mounts for that matter). The wing has spent some time rubbing up against something but I can get that cleaned up just fine. The real cool things to find were the original sticker, window mask, header cards for the receiver and speed control, warranty card for the buggy, and the manual for the speed control and charger (which didnt make it but it was the same charger I had back then so I'm going to buy one for the hell of it). The servo is a Futaba 148 and since I ran the car with a Magnum Jr, this will be inline with my original setup.

Since this was my Christmas present from my mother (been picking up my own gifts from her since I was about 15 :lol: ), my wife has repossessed it and is wrapping it up! I cant play with it for another 2 weeks, grrr!!! This is literally as cool as receiving the buggy for the first time so many years ago! Maybe I can convince her that I need to do a thorough tear down and cleaning so stuff like the tires dont dry rot...

madweazl
Approved Member

Post by madweazl »

I vaguely remember the transaction at the track, I thought you were in correspondence with Dennis regarding the buggy. Didn't you buy a buggy when you got the 10% finder's fee for Holly's house from that Realtor? Loved your post, you were such a fun kid to raise!!!

Love you! Ma

madweazl
Approved Member

Post by madweazl »

Doh, mom hijacked my login :lol: Guess I shouldnt use the same stuff for multiple sites. Hazel worked with Dennis and somehow you two devised all of this, I had no idea. The money that I got from the house was what I used to purchase the new radio (Magnum Jr), Novak speed control to replace the Futaba, a couple battery packs (SCR 1400, woot!), new chassis, and a custom painted body. Oh yea, picked up a B&R Bullet and switched over to Deans 4 pin connectors too. I used all the money I got for working under the house that summer too; I believe everything came out to just over $500! I think I sold the car for $100 to a friend at school; sheesh, I was so dumb.

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

NIce looking buggy, its cool to get all the extras that are usually stored in the original box and given to the garbage man.. those Tekin decals are .....um... freaking ugly but do represent the era very well. :lol: Love it.
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

madweazl
Approved Member

Post by madweazl »

Not sure what I did to the color balance on the Sony but they're even uglier than pictured :lol:

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

Gotta represent with the day-glo stickers :)

I have some old Novak stickers that are super day-glo
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Wow - what a find! 8).... you really are going to be re-creating that childhood excitement come christmas day when you get given it to un-wrap :D Bet you won't even be able to sleep come Christmas Eve :lol:

I actually think those Tekin decals are super cool... If you don't want them, send them this way... i'm sure I could come up with some equally lurid paint scheme on a shell to go with them lol!

P.S; did it come with a shell, or has that been lost in the midsts of time?? :|

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

Very nice car!! but you should let me get those Pro decals 8) :lol:
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

madweazl
Approved Member

Post by madweazl »

DerbyDan wrote:Wow - what a find! 8).... you really are going to be re-creating that childhood excitement come christmas day when you get given it to un-wrap :D Bet you won't even be able to sleep come Christmas Eve :lol:

I actually think those Tekin decals are super cool... If you don't want them, send them this way... i'm sure I could come up with some equally lurid paint scheme on a shell to go with them lol!

P.S; did it come with a shell, or has that been lost in the midsts of time?? :|
I like the old fluorescent stuff too, no chance any of the decals will be going home with somebody else :lol: The original body was lost and up until the car actually showed up, I'd planned on using a reproduction but now that I've seen the buggy, I'm really going to try and find an original.

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

Brandons Bodys are so close you cant tell them from the original's
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714