The Next Level: Team Losi JRX2

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

Asso_man! wrote:yep, and those four holes in the H arms are not present on mine, just plain plastic with no holes :shock:
The four holes were a later revision, the ones without are early.

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

aconsola wrote: Does the plate have the cutout up front for the inner camberlink mount?
do the side links have 2 shock mount holes or 4?
I'm just curious, not trying to give you a hard time

No cutout in the motor plate.
Side and rear links have 4 bottom shock mount holes.

It seems that like the rc-10 there were several changes during the production run for the jrx-2 and possibly jrx-t.
variations I know of:
black and white bellcranks
different motor plates
2 styles of rear bulkhead
battery box
rear suspension link changes
Yeah, I recall many of them happening when we were buying and building these cars. IIRC, the white steering bellcranks were early and had SEVERE breaking issues when the temps got low. They replaced those really fast. The battery box changes were necessity, too. The original one (on this car) was almost impossible to get wires or connectors in and out. This one was factory relieved for wires out the front (stick pack), but were still a PITA.

I also recall changes in the thrust bearing assembly, too. If memory serves me correct, the original was prone to failure in mod applications.

This car obviously wasn't an early production release, because it does have a few of the first kit updates in it. It's hard to tell what was original and what wasn't, because there were different color plastics in this kit, so the original owner may have replaced parts as they were broken during assembly (shock collars, shock cartridges, spring perches, etc.). Best guess it was probably a mid-age car during the entire JRX2 production run.

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Finally scanned the photos of my original car. I'm getting fuzzy with dates lately, but I believe this to be summer of 1988 or so.

The car evolved into this version with ProLine wheels and JG body mounts, as I began to run modified motors and 6-cells (called SuperStock locally).

It eventually was converted into a sprint car using an ASCOT RC10 frame and the cut-down stock chassis. I have photos of that car somewhere, if I can find them. That car worked REALLY well on ovals.

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

VERY NICE! We need some chassis pics too, if you have them.

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

mrlexan wrote:VERY NICE! We need some chassis pics too, if you have them.

Unfortunately, those photos were from my paint portfolio when I was doing contract paint work as a teen. I don't have many photos of any of my cars in their "nekkid" state from that long ago. I wish I did... :(

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

Are you doing a retro paint scheme or going box art? I like the top photo.

You weren't kidding in your other paint post, you have been doing it a LONG while.

I think it is interesting, most of here are pretty much the same age and it appears that on our racers, we all had similar paint schemes (like the bottom photo). Must have been a sign of the times, as most of them today carry similar designs (meaning the pros).

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

mrlexan wrote:Are you doing a retro paint scheme or going box art? I like the top photo.

You were kidding in your other paint post, you have been doing it a LONG while.

I think it is interesting, most of here are pretty much the same age and it appears that on our racers, we all had similar paint schemes (like the bottom photo). Must have been a sign of the times, as most of them today carry similar designs (meaning the pros).

Yeah, the first car I painted was in 1983. Used Testors model paints. :shock: :shock: Whoops.

It will be period accurate, for sure. I may do one of the earthquake paint schemes like my brother and I used to run. I donno yet. I'd much rather have something similar to the bottom photo, for sure. Depends on how my body/wing search goes, really. I may use the stock original body to replicate my original 'quake scheme. Still undecided...

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

I vote for the bottom one, it's simple, has nice color scheme and is very convincing :!: 8)

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Doug, those bodies looks awesome. I've been looking for some old school ideas for my Jrx2 body. Sweet. 8)

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

I really like the bottom one too. It could be even better if the paint scheme was on the wing too like the top one. :wink: Great looking car either way.

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Re: The Next Level: Team Losi JRX2

Post by Eau Rouge »

Just a little update on the JRX2 project...

The only real thing remaining on the car was the body and wing. The car didn't originally come with a wing from the previous owner, and the body was yellowed and had been cut out with what looked like a kitchen steak knife. It had also been partially masked at one point, with the original window masks still on the body from 1988.

I finally gave up looking for a replacement body for the car and decided to see how much life I could coax out of the original. Outside of the wing holes not lining up with the wing tubes, and the side pod holes being unnecessarily oversized, it actually cleaned up quite well. A few hours of surgery with about 6 different Dremel bits, an X-acto knife, curved Lexan scissors and multiple grades of sanding sticks, a lot of WD40 and denatured alcohol and it looks really clean. Almost as good as I could have hoped for, actually.

Now with the final acquisition of an original V-wing from Anthony (thanks), I can finally finish this car for display. I'm contemplating an era-correct paint job for this car, but I'm heavily leaning towards replicating/paying homage to the original Yokomo driven by Gil Losi Jr. to win the 4wd Worlds in 1985. Simple, classic and historically appealing at the same time.

I'll post photos tonight of the body as it sits now. :D

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

I like the Gil idea Doug, but it is yours and so should be the final decision. I am sure either way it will look great. Can't wait to see painted pics.
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

TUCRACEMAN
Approved Member

Post by TUCRACEMAN »

Very Very Clean. I like it!
~D
No, I will not help you with your dorky short course truck…sorry, it’s against my religion. If it's not a 1/10 scale buggy...I don't care.

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

You can see somewhat in the previous owner's photos the roughness of the body, but with a little massaging and Dremel work, it cleaned up pretty well. It still hasn't even been plastic polished yet. :D

Paint starts when the wing gets here. ;)

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

ooooh, he's gonna paint...

8)

totally sweet.

hope ya dont mind, i'm gonna move this to the 'other' section.