Proline Bulldog Love or Hate?

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

scr8p
Administrator

Re: Proline Bulldog Love or Hate?

Post by scr8p »

if you are a driver that can run consistent laps within a hundreth of a second of one another, toss on only a new body and get .02 quicker each lap, i would say the body makes a difference.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB
Approved Member

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Diggley wrote:I'm no expert, but I have a hard time believing a toy car that may max out between 25-30mph in dirt (considering jumps, turns, traction loss, etc.) will enjoy any aerodynamic benefit whatsoever...or at least much.

Does anyone take into account the aero drag of the tires, arms, shock towers, shocks?..hmm, so a funny looking body makes it go faster?

What about the constantly varying degree/angle of the rear wing? Wouldn't it cause drag off the jumps if the car wasn't perfectly level?

I'd understand if a parachute was strapped to the back of it might slow it down a bit...but come on, really?

On something this small, with so many variables in regards to track conditions, driving style, etc...I'm calling B.S....& just a ploy to sell a unique body by Proline. :lol:

Hot Rod Magazine promoted the "Dare to be Different" concept awhile back, this just a chance to do it on a smaller scale.
I won't claim to know all the nuances of aerodynamics, but I know that if you've ever lost a rear wing on any surface(especially a 10L for instance)you're pretty much screwed. Little things may not effect things too much, but a rear wing does big time.

I plan to have Wormser design a shell to go perfectly with my limp-wristed driving style. :lol:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

Comparing full bodied cars to an open wheel one in an example is completely pointless! There is no comparison. Open wheels cars (all of them whether real or RC) are high drag and have pretty bad aerodynamics compared to full body cars, I'm still not buying that there is any difference whatsoever in performance from a cab forward body. Not on an open wheeled car. The extremely high amount of air turbulence off of the front shock towers isn't going to give smooth airflow to the center of the body. Certainly not enough to affect it in any truly usable way. The fact that modern cars have terrible body designs by having the rear shock tower protrude upward into the air stream like an air brake and havnig a rear wing behind this air brake in very turbulent air is bad enough. It would be better to use a higher profile body with a higher rear wing and then adjusting the angle, fixing the current mistakes made in the name of looks before attempting to use a bandaid to attempt to correct things. Perhaps cab forward is an improper name for these bodies. From now on I dub them, "Placebo Cabs"! :lol:
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store