TC's Project: Red Headed Stepchildren (10/31) w/pics)

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Toasted Coastie
Approved Member

Re: TC's Project Red Headed Stepchild (with new pictures)

Post by Toasted Coastie »

Thanks. I'll be getting the template from new era next week (going camping tomorrow). However, I think if you wanted to, you could get a back plate for the B4, get it lined up so the rear holes of the stealth are centered between the rear most 6 gear holes. Drill so you can screw the plate into position using the rear arm mount holes, and cut away.
Attachments
ascc9570.jpg
ascc9570.jpg (11.54 KiB) Viewed 1075 times
ascc9570.jpg
ascc9570.jpg (11.54 KiB) Viewed 1075 times

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

that's looking real good Ron. nice job on your rear end :mrgreen:

Toasted Coastie
Approved Member

vintage AE wrote:that's looking real good Ron. nice job on your rear end :mrgreen:
Nothing like a positive comment about one's rear end in the morning. Thanks!

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Toasted Coastie wrote:
vintage AE wrote:that's looking real good Ron. nice job on your rear end :mrgreen:
He he... & I can imagine you grinning at that comment like you are in your avatar :D

Looks like great progress so far.... p.s do the shocks always mount on the back of the rear shock mount when using the RPM arms?.. or has something else moved?

In the meantime, Happy Camping!

Toasted Coastie
Approved Member

DerbyDan wrote:
Toasted Coastie wrote:
He he... & I can imagine you grinning at that comment like you are in your avatar :D

Looks like great progress so far.... p.s do the shocks always mount on the back of the rear shock mount when using the RPM arms?.. or has something else moved?

In the meantime, Happy Camping!
Good question. I put them there because it was more perpendicular that way. Too much angle puting them on the front side. If they should go on the front side with the RPM, I will move them. I've actually been doing this build as close to the book as possible, except of course for the obvious....

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

they should be on the frontside of the tower. the problem is that you have the arm mounts attached further back on the chassis. but with that trans in there, if you move them ahead, the dogbones will be at quite an angle.

so what i'd do...... just put spacer behind the shock rod end at the arm so the shock straightens out. they've gotta be in the way of the tie rods the way they're mounted now.......

Toasted Coastie
Approved Member

I knew I could count on you. Great idea, I'll take care of it on monday. I have the perfect spacers for it too....

Toasted Coastie
Approved Member

So I got back from camping and had a few things on my table when I got home. Today I switched the shocks around using spacers on the A arms, as well as put in the rear hub carriers and the rest of the turnbuckles. I ordered the wrong sized bearings for the front (I got the size for the regular axles, not the FT inline for the B4) and need to pick up tires for the wheels. I think I can have this one rolling by tomorrow....

rc10johnny
Approved Member

Post by rc10johnny »

Hey TC ,lookin Good, Bue The Bye WHATS A DOE DOE Co. :shock: :roll:

Toasted Coastie
Approved Member

So I got it all together. Some tuning is needed, and I need a cover to be painted. But, here it is in all its glory. I will try to get a build list together sometime this week...

I test drove it tonight, so there may be a scrape and a little dirt....

It has the 4900kv with an 87t spur gear and 25t pinion. The foams I purchased are the TRC green dot foams from cmain, and I am glad I did. This is a rocket. I also have the regular buggy tires from ebay (england jcracing products: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180517511588) that I will be using as well for track (if I use it on the track)

This build was much cheaper.....

Toasted Coastie
Approved Member

Re: TC's Project Red Headed Stepchild Part 2

So there are actually 2 parts to this build, the blue chassis and the red chassis. The red one is coming along nicely, and I will have pictures up tomorrow night. Grabbed a Hot Trick RC10 off of the bay with some nice parts on it (and some horrible ones as well) :

Spent last night getting that beautiful steering set up cleaned and polished. Every time I had bid on a steering system like this, I would lose, but I got the car for right around the what I had seen the steering for in other auctions, so I am pretty happy. It had brass sleeves for it (the steering) but I ordered bearings for it last night.

Also ripped the car down to see what else could be salvaged on it, and it looks like the chassis itself, minus a few shallow scratches is in really good condition. A little bit of glue to take off of it, but I will give it an acetone bath tomorrow (school tonight). The front 3 piece wheels are in really awesome condition, and I am going to whiten them over the next couple of days and sell them to subsidize the steering.

The front shock tower is in awesome shape, but the nose plate and rear plate are pretty rough, going to see what I can do about that as well. Rear tower does not look like Hot Trick at all. Motor plate looks ok.

Can anyone tell me if this was what a hot trick rc10 was supposed to look like?

Did I tell everyone here how much I love this site?

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

I cant tell you what they were supposed to look like, but I like the fact that it's a bit different, cool score!

Toasted Coastie
Approved Member

vintage AE wrote:I cant tell you what they were supposed to look like, but I like the fact that it's a bit different, cool score!
When I disassembled it, I found a lot of "fabbing". The rear bulkhead was cut up with an exacto knife, as well as the 6-gear transmission casing.

I may bastardize this one as well, but for now, I'm taking parts off of it. The chassis is all cleaned up, as are the shock towers, but the rear shock tower for sure isn't the hot trick one. Looks like it was cut and painted a darker color.

Toasted Coastie
Approved Member

I'm going to start a new thread on this, it's just so cool, maybe I will try to restore this....

Toasted Coastie
Approved Member

Re: TC's Project Red Headed Stepchild part 2 (9/22 w/pics)

So here are pictures of the red powder coated chassis. Right now I am waiting on a few more items, and then it is all going together. I'm going for a lower profile, and this will be more of an on-road car than anything else.

Flat out. The holes in the support rails are tapped 4-40 for a battery brace (later picture)

I grabbed a DS front tower for the heck of it to try something different, and it fit well on the truck bulkhead. Not perfect, but well. I put the holes in it for the front plate brace, and surprisingly, it came out pretty good.

I found this on the bay, and saw that the hole pattern lined up with the bulkhead. I'm not sure if the seller was a member here, and he messaged me asking what car it was originally made for. He said it was a JG Manufacturing RC10 tower, but he wasn't sure. It was low profile, what I was looking for. I also got a DS rear tower NIP, but I didn't like the looks of it for some reason, so it sits in the package. I tested out the B4 wing mounts with it, and I will need to drill 2 more holes, lining up with the transmission brace holes on the bulkhead.

Here is the battery brace. I had some cf left over from a B4 battery tie down that I had modded before. The holes are tapped 4-40 as well. The battery is snug in the bulkhead as it is, and when the holder is tied down, the battery is solid staying.

The front and rear arms are the ones that Jake (bigjeepzz) had fabbed and sold a while back. They seemed to take longer to dye than the Klein arms, but once the dye took, they look fantastic.

I bought a repro Parma Eagle body from Mr. Lexan on the bay as well, that body is ogoing on this project.

Now, a big question. Why is it that I always seem to have to put the damn servo on backwards to get it to fit? Is there a slimmer style servo that makes positioning on this car easier? I was planning on using the tower servo on this one, and it just doesn't seem to fit right....