Re: Procat rebuilt for Li-Fe batteries

Post by QuackingPlums »

Luke your car looks amazing! And you're costing me money! :lol: :lol: :lol:

kaszal
Approved Member

Post by kaszal »

Thanks Eric.

I remember selling you the plates... are you buying the strips too? What are you spending your money on? One can spend an awful lot on these vintage obsessions... I mean projects!

kaszal
Approved Member

New stick pack

Post by kaszal »

My mate treated me to a new Orion Li-Fe battery. Nominal voltage is still 6.6v but it's 60C instead of 35C... and it's blue.

QuackingPlums
Approved Member

Post by QuackingPlums »

kaszal wrote:Thanks Eric.

I remember selling you the plates... are you buying the strips too? What are you spending your money on? One can spend an awful lot on these vintage obsessions... I mean projects!
Yeah, probably gonnna get a set of strips too. The plastic clamp also looks a great idea!
Also, just poking about on the fibrelyte site and i'm racking up quite an expensive shopping list! :lol:

kaszal
Approved Member

Post by kaszal »

I got the idea for the strips after splitting an undertray in a crash. I also had another amazing idea... don't crash! Fibre-Lyte's stuff is great and they are really helpful.... but I'm sure you know, the most important thing to get right is the transmission if you're going to run it. Will you race it anywhere?

QuackingPlums
Approved Member

Post by QuackingPlums »

Absolutely 100% I will run this car. I will have a hard job getting it anywhere near as good looking as yours but you're full of great ideas and every time I check here or oople I end up adding stuff to my shopping list! :lol:

I bought this as a runner, and I will definitely find a vintage series to enter, even if I have to build my own track and start my own club...! :lol:

kaszal
Approved Member

Post by kaszal »

Ran it yesterday in the rain! Seals held up really well. Didn't have greens minispikes so was slipping all over the place. Was a second or two behind the faster cars e.g Cat SX and Predator. Suspension is still not right e.g. oil and springs. I also want to use the slimmer Procat body but need to find a way to narrow the battery cradles at the sides. Think I'll use servo mounts to hold a piece of carbon vertically either end... a bit like a shelf L bracket.

QuackingPlums
Approved Member

Post by QuackingPlums »

Hi Luke,

Did Fibre-Lyte make those battery cradles as well? Are they the only mods you made to make it 'LiFe' compatible or was the main deck changed in some way? Just wondering as Fibre-Lyte has your modified chassis 'available on request', which makes me think it must be somehow different?

I finally got some shocks for both my ProCat and my Cougar - I went for one set of Fastrax alloy shocks and one set of Ansmann ones to see if there was a difference - turns out they're identical down to the packaging... :roll:
Anyway, they're cheap and cheerful, and I think more in keeping with a vintage model - they even have the same spring spacer clips as the original Schuey ones. Shiny polished silver instead of brushed metal but hopefully less leaky...

TBG shells/trays on their way too... Shame there's nowhere in the UK I could have gotten them from, but at least the postage was negligible by the time I'd filled my basket!

Hope to have some pics up once the cars are in a more presentable condition! 8)

I've been buying up quite a few vintage spares from eBay and the like so I'll have quite a nice haul by the time these are race-worthy! :lol:

E

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

QuackingPlums wrote:I bought this as a runner, and I will definitely find a vintage series to enter, even if I have to build my own track and start my own club...! :lol:
Just run it with the rest of the modern cars.... use up-to-date electrics like Luke & you'll have great fun with it - for me its more more fun showing up some of the newer machinery, and the 'WTF' factor when someone spies your unusual car & when you tell them its 20odd years old :lol:

Hinckley have been running a vintage series during the summer (finished now) But they've made it a silver-can 540 series - which to be honest is ok for the Tamiya Hornets & Frogs but a bit dull for a capable race buggy :?

QuackingPlums
Approved Member

Post by QuackingPlums »

DerbyDan wrote:
QuackingPlums wrote:I bought this as a runner, and I will definitely find a vintage series to enter, even if I have to build my own track and start my own club...! :lol:
Just run it with the rest of the modern cars.... use up-to-date electrics like Luke & you'll have great fun with it - for me its more more fun showing up some of the newer machinery, and the 'WTF' factor when someone spies your unusual car & when you tell them its 20odd years old :lol:

Hinckley have been running a vintage series during the summer (finished now) But they've made it a silver-can 540 series - which to be honest is ok for the Tamiya Hornets & Frogs but a bit dull for a capable race buggy :?
I hear ya! If I went brushed then I think I'd want to keep it simple with a silver can in stock class but i'm thinking for a happy compromise between easy maintenance and performance I would want to race in a stock brushless/lipo combo class. I have a spare 5.5T but I suspect I'll be stripping belts with that!

kaszal
Approved Member

Procat rebuilt for Li-Fe batteries

Post by kaszal »

Hi Eric

Sorry, been so busy this is the first proper chance I got to reply!

I run a 5.5 and so far it been fine with the 6.6v battery. 1 volt makes a difference but it's still enough power for me. We have to accept the original fine pitch belts and diffs aren't designed for 5.5 motors with 7.4v Lipo! I'm also using a slipper, MMS front diff, Bosscat rear pro-diff and orange BRP belt so that all helps too.

I've redesigned the trays so they fit within the original Procat shell. If you contact Stephen at Fibre-Lyte you should order "Luke's final designs for the Procat trays and straps" (that's 4 pieces in total) You can use the original chassis but you need to drill two extra holes (or they can do that for you if you're ordering a brand new chassis)

You'll also need some battery posts. I bought these from eBay and had them cut down on a lathe (if you're placing a big order with Fibre-Lyte they might do that for you too) There may be other solutions, that's just what I ended up doing.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RC-Car-Upgrade-TT-01-TT-01E-TT01E-TT01-Battery-Post-B-/200374783802?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item2ea7448f3a

I'm going to get my TBG Procat shell done sometime soon.

kaszal
Approved Member

Post by kaszal »

You can see here the trays / brackets are narrower but made from thicker carbon. The Procat undertray fits over these. Fibre-Lyte did a nice job of the machining. The carbon's only 3mm wide but 4mm deep.

kaszal
Approved Member

Post by kaszal »

Almost got the dampers right. Have a look at this other thread...

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?p=198068#p198068

kaszal
Approved Member

Post by kaszal »

These Zeppin chassis weights are handy for balancing (weigh about 15g each)

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Hi there

first kudos for having the cojones to run your pride and joy at all :)

Does it have a 5.5 on the vid? If yes then there's an issue as you seem to be struggling to clear some of the smaller jumps properly... Diffs slipping, maybe? The fact that it jumps really nose high would kind of comfort this.

Awesome nonetheless!

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.