*** The official VINTAGE OFFROAD NATIONALS thread ***

Post about upcoming or past events.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

JetTech101
Approved Member

Re: *** The official VINTAGE OFFROAD NATIONALS thread ***

Post by JetTech101 »

Im out in Phoenix and can not make this event but would someone or someone(s) please take some videos of this awesome event and races? Im sure someone already planned on it, can't wait to see what it was like .
Ryan.
Kyosho Ultima's & Turbo Optima's, Team Ass. RC10's, Jammin CRT , RC10TC3, Tamiya F-150, OFNA 9.5

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

MelvinsArmy wrote:I'm really wanting to run my Clodbuster. Would a Clod with a John Boyer frame be able to run in the vintage MT class, since Boyer chassis are not pre-94?
Melvin, its sort of a gray area on aftermarket stuff since theres so much of it and its very hard to tell whats what and from when. I'm leaving things like that up to the racers honor system. Its just to hard to deciefer everyting aftermarket, when it came out and nevermind factoring in whats handmade and not. I hope everyone is ok with this... I feel a lot of the race is on the honor system as limitiing the race to JUST box stock cars, etc would severlely limit the race. At the same time running todays latest and greatest sort of defeats the purpose of the race in the first place doesn't it? Take it for what its worth. As long as everyone is having a good time, i'm happy.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Yeah, I'm thinking my Clod is a little too new school. It's also got the newer style JPS gear boxes and TTR internals. Not to mention it's suspension that is a huge improvement over any old school Clod set ups.

I'm actually now thinking of running my Lunchbox in the heavy metal class. No chance of winning with that truck I'm sure, but it sure would be fun to try to get around the track.

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

Ya i'm actually going to run either my king cab or a hornet with a truck conv on it (lunchbox tires) just for fun... and thats sort of really the point isn't it?

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

I hadn't even thought of that. I've got a re-re lunchbox retro-fied with yellow cva shocks, mechanical speed control, and the tamiya headlight kit.
3 classes, I really have to get shopping for batteries now. . .
Might have to give the wife the keys to the VW for the weekend and take her sienna :wink:

loneranger

Post by loneranger »

JetTech101 wrote:Im out in Phoenix and can not make this event but would someone or someone(s) please take some videos of this awesome event and races? Im sure someone already planned on it, can't wait to see what it was like .
Ryan.
I'm going to try to have someone do this. I've done it for a few 1/18th races with good results.

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

I also have one of those Shark in car video systems that i've been playing with so hopefully i can get that installed in at least one of my cars. It'd be cool to see the action on track from the drivers stand point.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Erich Reichert wrote:I also have one of those Shark in car video systems that i've been playing with so hopefully i can get that installed in at least one of my cars. It'd be cool to see the action on track from the drivers stand point.
i was gonna do the same thing...... make a camera car out of a beater tub chassis. but, i'm not gonna have the extra money to spend on one.

natedog

Post by natedog »

Erich Reichert wrote:Ya i'm actually going to run either my king cab or a hornet with a truck conv on it (lunchbox tires) just for fun... and thats sort of really the point isn't it?
I was thinking about that to. you can stil get those conversions on ebay. I will be running my pajero bodied lunchbox :D
Attachments
getuserimage-1.asp.jpeg
getuserimage-1.asp.jpeg (24.18 KiB) Viewed 1139 times
getuserimage-1.asp.jpeg
getuserimage-1.asp.jpeg (24.18 KiB) Viewed 1139 times
the losi xx is older than me

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Cool to see some pepole taking the 'lighter' approach.
Have fun guys: I've just been to another japanese event those cars would have fit right in.

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

I find you'll get all types wanting to run vintage. For me its not really so much about the competition but rather the opportunity to see these cars in action once again. Not that I like seeing them form a slow train around the track (I'd rather see em at full steam) but it shouldnt get the point where you need to run every mod part ever to hit the track. I enjoy driving my Samuarai (stock) as much as any of my other cars. The 'clunk' and 'clatter' is half the fun with events like this and many will remember the fun above who got the best lap time in each race.
We have modern comp classes running all the time but there arent many opportunities to pull out your old 'HOT SHOT','SAMURAI','VIPER' etc... and have a fun days racing with it. :D
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

JetTech101
Approved Member

Post by JetTech101 »

bormac wrote: For me its not really so much about the competition but rather the opportunity to see these cars in action once again.
Oh yeah, totally agree, thats why I am drooling over the thought of some great video after this thing happens. ( starts singing the song " GLory days" ...)
Kyosho Ultima's & Turbo Optima's, Team Ass. RC10's, Jammin CRT , RC10TC3, Tamiya F-150, OFNA 9.5

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

i got yet another question. i searched but didnt find anything.

what has to be done to prep a car for the RCHR loaner transponder?

the transponder in the link looks like it doesnt have a 3/16" body mount style of attaching, which is mentioned in another thread on how the transponder attaches.
scr8p wrote:
badhoopty wrote:and what the heck are these transponder things? do i just buy this and mount it?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLLA7&P=7
the transponder is the lap counter that's in your car. most track have their own that you can use, but a lot of people buy their own personal transponders nowadays.

the one in your link only works with the orion lap counter. you'd need one of these. it plugs right in to the receiver, and that's it:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_61_180/products_id/4578

but being as though you don't race on a weekly basis (or ever :wink: ), there's no reason to go out and buy one.

tecnica2001
Approved Member

Post by tecnica2001 »

Usually, the hobby/racetrack, buys their own professional lap counting system, the one in the link is a personal lap counting system, which wont work with the tracks lap counting system. You could buy an AMB personal transponder, which the track's system will recognize when the transponders serial number or frequency number is entered in the system: http://www.losipartshouse.com/servlet/the-AMB-Transponders/Categories.

As far as the loaner transponders, they look like the one on the link, you'll have to drill/ream a hole in your winshield and they're held on with a body clip for easy removal, since they have to be charged and used by other racers, they need to be easily removable, hence the hole on the windshield mounting, like it was discussed in another thread you can make a transponder mount out of lexan, that'll fit inside the car/truck and then ream a hole on that, if you don't want to ream out you windshield. :D

Someone translate please, I can't even understand what I wrote :shock:
Life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what R/C car you're gonna get next!!!

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Its pretty simple reall.

1. Make a hole in your buggies body.
2. Fit transponder to 'inside' of body.
3. Retain with spare body clip.

How's that?
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980