Scr8p's shop

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Halgar
Approved Member

Re: Scr8p's shop

Post by Halgar »

I was watching American Restoration last night and they got in a VERY rough 1957 Chevy 150. The estimate was $70K to pseudo-restore it and it would take 6 months. They got the job, but the car had to be completed in just 3 months.

I really HATE to see things like this for two reasons, first, nobody does their best work under that kind of pressure, and two, I don't like seeing "restorations" that primarily consist of new paint and bondo. In this case they're restoring the aesthetics to OEM, but installing a current day motor, drivetrain, and brakes.

I couldn't help but think WWSD - What Would Scr8p Do? :mrgreen:
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

Bongo Fury
Approved Member

Post by Bongo Fury »

Hey Scr8p, have any of your cars ever made it up to the Woodward Dream Cruise in the metro Deetroit area? Your fine work would be right at home.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Halgar wrote:I was watching American Restoration last night and they got in a VERY rough 1957 Chevy 150. The estimate was $70K to pseudo-restore it and it would take 6 months. They got the job, but the car had to be completed in just 3 months.

I really HATE to see things like this for two reasons, first, nobody does their best work under that kind of pressure, and two, I don't like seeing "restorations" that primarily consist of new paint and bondo. In this case they're restoring the aesthetics to OEM, but installing a current day motor, drivetrain, and brakes.

that's the one that was done for rick's dad on pawn stars, right? i know i watched it when it first aired, but i can't recall alot of it. i can definately say i was shocked when i heard a "real life price tag" of $70,000 come out of that guys mouth. that car was a friggin' basket case from what i remember.
Bongo Fury wrote:Hey Scr8p, have any of your cars ever made it up to the Woodward Dream Cruise in the metro Deetroit area? Your fine work would be right at home.
my dad and i trailered his 55 chevy out to woodward in 2007. he went again in 2009 with my son. i was gonna go, but at the time i was still dealing with health issues and wanted to stay closer to home. they were even interviewed by one of the news stations while they were hanging out in one of the parking lots at 14 mile..... i think. if noony reads this, he might remember. it was the same lot we met up at when i was there in '07.

our "oldsmobile guy", he goes out every year. the only car we built for him, that i KNOW has been to woodward, is his 55 olds gasser.
55olds-thatcher04.jpg
we finished it in '06, and that was it's first trip there. he trailered it out there in '09 and gave it to the guys at mothers polishes to take it on a west coast car show tour for a year. he's good friends with those guys. i think he took the gold 68 442 last year. this year, we were able to get the teal 68 442 done in time for him to take it, but i think he took the 55 olds again.

i had a great time when i was there. definately hope to go back again. :)

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Damn, look at that Olds- 8)

askbob
Approved Member

Post by askbob »

That 55 olds gasser is sweet! Have anymore pics of it?

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

scr8p wrote:
Halgar wrote:I was watching American Restoration last night and they got in a VERY rough 1957 Chevy 150. The estimate was $70K to pseudo-restore it and it would take 6 months. They got the job, but the car had to be completed in just 3 months.

that's the one that was done for rick's dad on pawn stars, right? i know i watched it when it first aired, but i can't recall alot of it. i can definately say i was shocked when i heard a "real life price tag" of $70,000 come out of that guys mouth. that car was a friggin' basket case from what i remember.
Yep, that's the one. Unfortunately (or thankfully, knowing how they were going to do it ), they didn't spend too much time on the restoration. It was a frame up redo, the floor pan had to be replaced and it was rusted within an inch of its life. Where the show ended they basically had a jigsaw puzzle of parts laid out on the floor ready to reassemble the whole thing. Since this was a rerun, the following show did not cover the completion of the vehicle.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

little update on our last 68 442 build (thank god) :lol:

the body shell and the rest of the outer sheetmetal is ready for paint (except for the hood, we pushed it off in hopes of finding a better one to use. should be in primer and ready for paint this weekend). the inside of the trunk lid and the trunk itself is already done. i probably could've started on it already, but we want to have the frame done so that once the body and related panels are done, they can go right on. the gold 68 is still taking up a bay too........ still waiting for the front brakes to show up. :roll:
14.JPG

so anyway, we got the frame sandblasted and painted, along with all of the suspension and brake components. it's almost a roller. just waiting on the new studs to show up for the front wheel hubs.
15.JPG

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

I finally get my dream car and decided to take it to Scr8p for a resto. I told him I wanted it box stock ... :? :? :?

He even put a fancy security system on it. :? :? :?

mamba max1
Approved Member

Post by mamba max1 »

Here is what he tows your vehicle with!

And this is him getting out to re-pump the engine hoist!

I know I'm new, but I saw this a year ago and still can't get over it! It had an engine hoist in the bed, Oldsmobile taillights, and a jerry rigged "tow light" to make it official! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

As I am not an NC native it doesn't bother me, but you know pics like this don't help the state tourism :wink: :lol:

mamba max1
Approved Member

Post by mamba max1 »

Hey, its part of its flair. :lol:

A few months after the initial sighting, I actually saw the truck again. This time with a business decal on the side! :shock:

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

mamba max1 wrote:a few months after the initial sighting, I actually saw the truck again. This time with a business decal on the side! :shock:
Times are tough, man, Scr8p had to diversify. :mrgreen:

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

...And it burst into flames. :roll:

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

Lowgear wrote:
Halgar wrote:...And it burst into flames. :roll:
I've never seen the completed vehicle. Like I said, nobody does their best work under that kind of pressure, so for there to have been problems with the build or final product is no surprise to me.