Scr8p's shop

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Halgar
Approved Member

Re: Scr8p's shop

Post by Halgar »

Dirtdiver wrote:What can you tell us about the vette parked in the other driveway?
X2
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

rctenracer
Approved Member

Post by rctenracer »

Easy that's the dailey driver. :lol:

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Halgar wrote:
Dirtdiver wrote:What can you tell us about the vette parked in the other driveway?
X2
that's my dad's vette. '66 coupe, all numbers matching, 350hp 327, 4sp. it looks a lot better in pics than it does in person. it's a completely unrestored.... 80,000 mile original car. other than one repaint in the 70's (the same correct color). the douche bags at barrett jackson would call it a "survivor". :lol:

don't get me wrong, it's a nice car, and it runs awesome. but the old lacquer paint is checked here and there, there's some stress cracks in the body, etc. and as much as my dad would like to redo the car, he just can't bring himself to do it. right now, you can just hop in it and go. if it gets knicked up/scratched from driving it, it doesn't really matter. if the car was restored, it would never get driven.

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

I always wanted a '78 - '82 bodied vette, but was never able to fulfill that dream. For a while I thought maybe with the fame and fortune of being a Clodtalk moderator I could do it, but so far ... :? :? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

when i was 17, a guy my dad knew was selling a 74 vette (350, 4sp.) for $3,000. it needed a paint job and some interior work, but it was a decent car.

then i got the insurance quote. :lol: it was a bit much for a teenager that already had an iroc on his policy. :wink:

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

scr8p wrote:then i got the insurance quote. :lol:
Yeah, then there was that too! :lol: :lol:

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

After all the parts, time and effort, can a guy make money doing a resto like that? What do you think that car would sell for and how much do you think is in it?

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

you have to build the "right car" if you want to make money on a total restoration. shelby, hemi, yenko, etc. and in todays car market, you'd probably still lose money on that "right car", with what it costs to make a car perfect. it costs alot of money just to buy the "right car" to even build.

this guy we've been building cars for, he doesn't care what something costs, and doesn't care one bit how much he can get if/when he sells it. the car we're just about done with, all said and done, he'll probably have around $65,000 in it. he'd be lucky to get $35-40,000 for it. but, we all know how auctions are. all it takes is 2 guys that really want it and it could fetch $100,000. you never know.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

other than waiting for the new seat belt to come in (they have to be special ordered for any color other than black :roll: ), and a giving it a REALLY good cleaning, it's all done.

i'll get some better pics outside when it's all cleaned up.
64.JPG
65.JPG
62.JPG
66.JPG
67.JPG

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

That's so nice, you do some great work, for a guy that looks like a hippie! :P

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Looks like it came off the showroom floor. Incredible 8)

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

NoThumbs had Scr8p put together a Party Bus for him.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

well, the blue 68 went home without being cleaned up. it didn't bother me one bit, i hate detailing cars. :lol: so here's a quick outdoors shot before we loaded it on the trailer.
71.JPG
so while picking up that car, the owner dropped of the gold 68 we did a couple years ago for a suspension and brake upgrade. when we originally built the car, he wanted it to resemble a 70's street racer. hence the raised suspension and ladder bars.
151.JPG
now, it's going the pro-touring route. i just finshed up the suspension this afternoon and got it back down on the ground. still waiting for the wilwood brake kits to show up, as well as the new wheels and tires.
181.JPG
parts list:

hotchkis - 1" lowering springs front and rear, tubular upper front control arms, tie rod sleeves, sway bars (front - 1 3/8", rear - 1"), boxed lower rear trailing arms, adjustable rear chassis braces

edelbrock - IAS classic shocks front and rear, adjustable upper rear control arms. we put the ajustable arms in when we originally built the car because of the raised suspension, and the short driveshaft do to the Gear Vendors 6sp. auo overdrive to get the correct pinion angle.

wilwood - i'm not exactly sure which kits the owner ordered, but i know it gonna be 13" fronts and 12" rears.

i also removed the vaccuum brake booster, and installed a new hydratech brake assist unit. these things are sooo nice. we installed one in a 70 442 he has with 4 wheel baer disc brakes and it's awesome. i still have to redo the brake lines to the master cylinder, but since i have to install a prop valve in the rear line, i just gonna wait until all the the brake compents are here and installed to button it up. i'm not totally sure if we're reusing the old master cylinder anyway. a new wilwood one might show up.
183.JPG

steve
Approved Member

Post by steve »

nice work! I had the edelbrock ias shock on my 96 gmc when they first can out, did not last a year. pulled them off and took a day to rebound. Have the ias gotten better?

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

i couldn't say if they're better now. i wanted to get a set for my 88 monte ss when they first came out, but never did. so i have no first hand knowledge. but the owner of these cars likes them. we put a set on the above blue car as well since it's gonna be a driver...... not a trailer queen.