*** The official VINTAGE OFFROAD NATIONALS thread ***

Post about upcoming or past events.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

civilguy
Approved Member

Re: *** The official VINTAGE OFFROAD NATIONALS thread ***

Post by civilguy »

You should be able to do 5 minutes no problem with 27 turn motors and 3300 batteries. We run 4 minutes in vintage at the local track and I've used 2300 nicds and had plenty left.
Any parts you have should be with you! ;)
Rule of thumb is whatever part you do NOT have will be the one to break.
In my experience with vintage 6 gear RC10 racing, most often old hubs or knuckles have snapped due to age and jumps.

I guess I now have 2 questions for Erich:
1) How long will the quals and mains be? 4-5 minutes? Longer A mains?
2) Any luck on discounted hotel rooms? ;)
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

kaybo19114
Approved Member

Post by kaybo19114 »

tecnica2001 wrote:I wanted to know, are these going to be 5 min heats?? the reason I ask, is because I'm planning on running 3300 mah nimh batteries, they're in good shape and hopefully with the brushless they'll last me a bit longer :D
I know the last time I ran off-road (about 2 years ago), I was running 3300 batteries in my B4 with 10x1, 12x2 motors and NEVER had a problem with dumping :) Off-road is easier on the "older" batteries than on-road racing...And if you're running BL, you should be able to get (I'm assuming) about 8 mins from a pack :)
PottBelly's R/C Raceway (RIP) | Team Tekin | GQ Tires | Slingshot Batteries | Banzai Motors | Team Psycho Cells | Exotek Racing | Team Belly

I like you. You remind me of when I was young and stupid :cool:

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

kaybo19114 wrote:
JK Racing wrote:
http://www.modelrec.com
http://www.amainhobbies.com
http://www.stormerhobbies.com

Why not use Kyosho rear wheels? Offset if different (wider), but same 12mm hex.
Also Tamiya has some 12mm hex 2.2 wheels, as well as HPI and OFNA.
Well....I didn't know Kyosho and Tamiya made 2.2 wheels..

I knew HPI did, but only truck tires - never saw a 2.2 buggy tire from HPI...and honestly, didn't think of OFNA
don't forget the hotbodies wheels also: 2 more mm overal width than the lazer ZX5 wheels ;)

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

kaybo19114 wrote:
tecnica2001 wrote:I wanted to know, are these going to be 5 min heats?? the reason I ask, is because I'm planning on running 3300 mah nimh batteries, they're in good shape and hopefully with the brushless they'll last me a bit longer :D
I know the last time I ran off-road (about 2 years ago), I was running 3300 batteries in my B4 with 10x1, 12x2 motors and NEVER had a problem with dumping :) Off-road is easier on the "older" batteries than on-road racing...And if you're running BL, you should be able to get (I'm assuming) about 8 mins from a pack :)
This last winter in the 2wd buggy class, we ran mostly novak brushless systems with the 10.5 motor (equivalent to a 19T). With the 3200 mah orion race lipos we ran 8 min mains as long as everybody was using lipos. Ran a couple 10 min mains, and with exception of breakage everybody finished. Just FYI.

tecnica2001
Approved Member

Post by tecnica2001 »

That's cool, but I'll be using 3300 nimh batteries. :?
Life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what R/C car you're gonna get next!!!

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

tecnica2001 wrote:That's cool, but I'll be using 3300 nimh batteries. :?
Yeah, you should be good. bngiles was getting 10 minutes for mod motors-- and the Nats are limited to 27 turn. I get over 10 minutes out of my 3500 NiMhs with a stock motor - in all my vintage buggys. You'll be fine!
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

civilguy wrote:I guess I now have 2 questions for Erich:
1) How long will the quals and mains be? 4-5 minutes? Longer A mains?
2) Any luck on discounted hotel rooms? ;)
Races will be standard 5 min length as will qual. I'm going to treat it much like a normal offroad race just that I hope to see more people enjoy themselves and smile than i typically see at a big race lol.

I will be calling the hotel on monday so i'll keep you guys posted.

You guys will def get enough runtime out of "modern" batteries and stock or brushless stock motors. That was one of the reasons i thought I'd go that route, keep it simple and fun.

As far as parts, I would bring things like arms, mounts, hubs, maybe a shock tower if you have them. Anything else should really break or if it did you should be able to replace it with newer parts. I'm sure plenty of us will be bringing our boxes and boxes of old parts too so parts should be around. FInally I also heard that the owners are possibly going on ebay and stocking up where they can so they may have parts too.

Tuff240
Approved Member

Post by Tuff240 »

Would a Tamiya 959 be okay for the "Classic" class?
Due to design, it is limited to running a Tamiya Technigold or Technipower motor. Will this be alright as well?

Can I race a fully modified Tamiya Fox (Hot Trick "Red Fox" + more) in the "2wd Buggy" class? I can set it up with a legal brushless motor, just making sure the car is okay to run in the class.

Also, curious about the realistic stadium trucks. The Toyota Prerunner, the Ford F150 and the Chevy S10? Not competitive, but this is about fun, correct?

Thank you for your time and efforts.
-Patrick
Cars I collect... 959's, The Fox and Schumacher 2wd buggies. All the stuff I grew up with!

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

As far as the porsche I believe that was a 540vz motor which is a standard size motor so if you put a stock motor in you can certainly run it. Is there something about the car that doesn't allow another 540? I'm not too familiar with the car honestly so there may be a very good reason you can't but in that case I'd have to say it can't be run. The technigolds were mod motors so I don't know if it would be fair to everyone else.

The fox is fine however you want as far as hopups, that goes for any car in any class as a big part of the vintage thing was all the hopups and custom cars.

I could be wrong also about this but I think the stadium trucks were after 94 no? Agreed they are INSANLY fun, we used to have a class indoors at a local track and they were a blast. I will look up the release date of the TA02 (which I believe its based on) and get back to you on that.

Tuff240
Approved Member

Post by Tuff240 »

Erich Reichert wrote:As far as the porsche I believe that was a 540vz motor which is a standard size motor so if you put a stock motor in you can certainly run it. Is there something about the car that doesn't allow another 540? I'm not too familiar with the car honestly so there may be a very good reason you can't but in that case I'd have to say it can't be run. The technigolds were mod motors so I don't know if it would be fair to everyone else.

I could be wrong also about this but I think the stadium trucks were after 94 no? Agreed they are INSANLY fun, we used to have a class indoors at a local track and they were a blast. I will look up the release date of the TA02 (which I believe its based on) and get back to you on that.
The 959 sandwhiches the 540vz motor in the middle of the chassis. It is not screwed to the gearcase. :?

You are right about the stadium trucks, they were most likely after 94, just got a little excited at the thought of this event. :D
-Patrick
Cars I collect... 959's, The Fox and Schumacher 2wd buggies. All the stuff I grew up with!

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

I'll post the question, so that I don't stay off topic in the competition thread. It is always the gentlemanly thing to ask, do I need approval or will there be a problem getting around the track to take pics? (I typically don't just stand upright and take pics..... I like to be different). I am sure it is nothing like going to an American Le Mans 1:1 race, but like I said I don't want to assume and it is polite to ask the question.

Oh, and that doesn't mean that I will become a target for the rest of you folks running in each session. :lol: We don't need to replicate Doug's fractured ankle just for this race.
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

No you'll be fine, a lot of the time thats how r/c races get covered. Just be mindful of flashes in eyes and cars flying near your head. Honestly I get a lot of my action shots during qual, and practice anyway.

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

Thanks Erich. Although an RC10 to the noggin might do some damage, it is/was nothing like what I used to. An Audi R10 flying around Road America or Sebring would have done a heck of a lot more damage, but understood. I always have and will turn on my peripheral vision.

I am been sprayed by a Champcar in my past with dirt and gravel when he got a little wide, that hurt...... a little dust from a RC10 won't bother me.
www.gojammedia.com

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

Ya I hear ya. The 1/8's are the worst. LOL.

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

Le Mans was the scariest.... just like the days of ole. The spectator areas all have catch fench, but the track is so big and runs through the town and those remote areas, like between Arnage and the Porsche Curves, the only thing between me and the cars was a small ditch (where you walked), the original 2 ft high guard rail and about 3 ft of grass. Granted it isn't the Mulsanne, but they were still flying.
www.gojammedia.com