Kyosho now on the re-re bandwagon - Scorpion

The place for all things re-release Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

stulec52
Approved Member

Re: Kyosho now on the re-re bandwagon - Scorpion

Post by stulec52 »

Value or not, re-releases just take the fun out of the game.

I'm sure many of us enjoy the hunt, the trades, the building etc etc
To just to to the store and buy it, well where's the fun in that?

But just to be hypocritical I have got my Scorpion pre order in;)

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

stulec52 wrote:Value or not, re-releases just take the fun out of the game.
I think the alternative.... that the re-releases make these old cars more accessible in good condition to us fiscally-challenged owner-builders....
stulec52 wrote: I'm sure many of us enjoy the hunt, the trades, the building etc etc
To just to to the store and buy it, well where's the fun in that?
That stuff will still go on, mate... original parts still have their value, more so if they're specifically identifiable as originals. There are still bits out there to buy, sell, and trade. Plus, if the originality means a lot to a specific person, then they'll still hunt down only original parts, which leaves all the re-re bits to run and break!

stulec52 wrote:But just to be hypocritical I have got my Scorpion pre order in;)
There it is...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

Kyoshojoe
Approved Member

Post by Kyoshojoe »

Its not really a true rerelease as it has been modernized beyond that of what a repro would be and I don't think it will be too hard to tell a vintage scorp vs a new scorp.

There is alot of speculation and assumptions that kyosho is going to continue and rere the optima and so on as well. I will wait and see before I go and sell off my cache of parts thinking they will be devalued. I think that the success of this model will be a consideration in whether they do or don't and If its any indication of how they chose to produce this model the optimas will be just as modernized and essentially will be a totally different animal than their namesake.

I personally restore and resell optimas and their kin and would be surprised to see them rere'd any time soon. Even if they do I don't think it will affect the originals value much, as serious collectors will still want the real deal and not a look-a-like china knock-off.

There are pluses to it such as a rebirth of vintage size tires and parts like shock clamps being available for purchase as well. I would love to be able to get counter gears and such for my runners at a reasonable cost. Right now parts costs are inflated beyond their value and turn alot of would be nostalgia driven buyers away due to lack of parts support.

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Mark my words! 25 years from now, no one will give a crap about your precious stashes of "original" parts and cars! I have little care for collecting as an investment. I collect because it brings back great memories. I love looking at, building and driving cars I could never afford! The new Scorpion and other rere's have given us this pleasure with out breaking the bank! Thank you Tamiya, AE and Kyosho!

For all you hoarders of "original" parts and cars as an investment: Stop your CRYING every time there is a new rere and go buy some frigging gold, stocks, or maybe some Tampons!

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

slotcarrod wrote:Mark my words! 25 years from now, no one will give a crap about your precious stashes of "original" parts and cars! I have little care for collecting as an investment. I collect because it brings back great memories. I love looking at, building and driving cars I could never afford! The new Scorpion and other rere's have given us this pleasure with out breaking the bank! Thank you Tamiya, AE and Kyosho!

For all you hoarders of "original" parts and cars as an investment: Stop your CRYING every time there is a new rere and go buy some frigging gold, stocks, or maybe some Tampons!
Thumbs Up on this post

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

stulec52 wrote:Value or not, re-releases just take the fun out of the game.
For who? The shelf-queen hoarders and NIB collectors? Boohoo...

What about the people (can't speak for myself but I bet a majority of re-re buyers are this group) who were teens or early 20-year-olds in the 80's, and want to introduce the hobby of actually building RC cars to their own children, or re-live their enjoyment of this, instead of buying plas-tastic RTR hobby shop kits, or want to build that RC car they dreamed of in their youth?

I have no sympathy for the hoarders/collectors/buyers of toys for investment purposes. :P
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

Coelacanth wrote:
I have no sympathy for the hoarders/collectors/buyers of toys for investment purposes. :P
+1 No one is going to retire on rc cars.

Kyoshojoe
Approved Member

Post by Kyoshojoe »

lol, who said they were an investment, I build rc cars for the same reasons as everyone else. I love to tinker with machines whether it be model rockets, rc cars, boats, helicopters, 1/1 cars, stereo's, legos etc.

My cache of parts is a resource that allows me to build vintage cars. I have amassed my cache by being patient, educated, and frugal. I have a wife and four kids and work the blue collar grind. I love the kyosho rc's new and old. I know there value and yes i make money selling vintage rc's that I lovingly build and sell to people that want a piece of their past. I provide a service and in all honesty the profit I make is only based on the hardware not the time and labor. I don't have shelf queens as I sell the best to fund the rest because I cant afford to pay retail.
If you read my post and actually take the time to comprehend what im saying you would see that I could care less about reres and might actually buy a scorp to run not shelf. Im sorry if the fact that I have been able to amass a large collection of parts and cars with little to no capital upsets anyone. I think that beligerent statements like these are pathetic and pitiful. a true enthusiast would understand the art of the deal and not get jealous.
I collect because it brings back great memories. I love looking at, building and driving cars I could never afford!
Isnt that a bit hypocritical. collect is just nother word for hoarding. Money makes the world go round and allows humanity a way of standardizing value. Barter is still out there but not very efficient at supporting world wide commerce. Im sure you have an Idea of what your "collection", Hoard, or cache of vintage items is worth to you, money or memories. I can take a car that i buy for 60 or so dollars and turn it into a car worth hundreds. what is wrong with that. Im sure you don't work for free at your job. In order to accomplish this feat i require a large amount of cars, parts and tools.

OH and I cringe at the thought of looking on the bottom of an optima bumper and reading those iconic words "Made in China". See, I remember the day when made in japan was a mark of superior quality. I actually owned, built, and ran an Ultima Mk1 when I was 13 and that is where my love for kyoshos came from. If you want to bash my post and people for the way they go about their hobby, then go ahead with your witless banter and I will just laugh. its those that put others down for having a different viewpoint who need sympathy.

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Funny... I was not calling you Kyoshojoe out, but if you feel that way, bully for you! :roll:

That Jamaican pig pen and the stone saying comes to mind!

"When yuh throw stone inna pig pen di one dat squeal is di one dat get lick..."

Meaning: The person who reacts the strongest to a generic non-accusatory statement is most likely the guilty party or the one most offended by it! :mrgreen:

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

Kyoshojoe wrote:OH and I cringe at the thought of looking on the bottom of an optima bumper and reading those iconic words "Made in China". See, I remember the day when made in japan was a mark of superior quality. I actually owned, built, and ran an Ultima Mk1 when I was 13 and that is where my love for kyoshos came from. If you want to bash my post and people for the way they go about their hobby, then go ahead with your witless banter and I will just laugh. its those that put others down for having a different viewpoint who need sympathy.
One of the reasons modern Kyosho competition cars are quite expensive compared to some of the competition is that they are still made in Japan, AFAIK.

Besides, considering Kyosho's tendency to reuse parts from older cars for newer cars in the period 1980-2000, a lot of your 'valuable' vintage parts can be had for $2-3 new in package if you don't pay attention to the part number. The parts are the same, just the number changed.

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

TM Ru22311 wrote:I don't think the re re will hurt collectors of the originals at all. It seems they did keep the original look but the upgrades are subtle enough to distinguish parts from vintage. Even the tires look the same, but the pattern was changed for better performance. Original will always be original and therefor more collectible. I'm sure there are many collectors that would love to take their buggy off the shelf and actually run it but because parts are so rare and expensive, it keeps you from being able to do that. (Well, that didn't stop Lars) :mrgreen: But now you can get a re re and not worry about it :)

I don’t think anyone on this forum sees old RC-cars as an investment; it’s a hobby for most of us. I have some NIP Scorpion part that I have invested in for future renovations and to keep my runners/racers running. Most of the parts I got relative “cheep” over the years, so I don’t worry about prices dropping.

The benefit with re-re as I see it is that you can use new produced car for a runner/racer and don’t worry finding spare parts to keep it running as many have stated before. And I hope/think more people will start racing there re-re cars.
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

kink
Approved Member

Post by kink »

For the record I previously owned ONE rc model. That is now sold and I have ONE 1/8 buggy. I am probably the most minimal owner on here!

That said I do like a stash of NIP spares which means I can run my cars properly and break them with no concerns. No reason why a single model cannot be run and kept in pristine condition for display purposes too. All you need is plenty of new spares ready to bolt on. A used mint car with a few subtle signs of use has far more character when on display than a box fresh dust collector anyway.
GARBO 1/8

naushad
Approved Member

Post by naushad »

Well I've got cars whcih I DO consider a financial investment, albeit not a serious one.

If I was more serious I think i'd be looking at tampons instead. :|

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

naushad wrote:Well I've got cars whcih I DO consider a financial investment, albeit not a serious one.
Luckily for me, I'm too cheap to spend big $$$ on 'investment' rc..... although I will drop coin on big lots.....

naushad wrote:If I was more serious I think i'd be looking at tampons instead. :|
If I was more serious..... my name would be a waste. Just like tampons. And Raiders. :lol:

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Incredible_Tampon_Raider does have a nice ring to it... :lol:
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3