2010 VINTAGE OFFROAD NATIONALS OFFICIAL THREAD• SEPT 16-19TH

Post about upcoming or past events.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RCveteran
Approved Member

Re: 2010 VINTAGE OFFROAD NATIONALS OFFICIAL THREAD• SEPT 16-

Post by RCveteran »

Wow, I read all 13 pages and I am confused. I have been away for a long time 15-20 years and recently jumped back in. Currently rebuilding a few JRX2's which for the most part will be stock with a few upgrades like ball bearing steering and such. I also like the XX but can't tell where that would fit in. And what about my short arm RC10 graphite with stealth?

I really could care less about winning or losing just want to have a good time and relive my youth a bit. If it gets to complicated it feels like work and I have enough of that. However I don't want to be in the way of anyone who takes it a bit more seriously?

Not sure about this year but next for sure. And why not a run what you brung class say broken into 2wd, 4wd and truck and just use a standard motor. If some guy beats my stock JRX2 with his totallly tricked out quasi modern car, who cares. If he is happy and I am happy so be it.

Do you have any issues traveling with RC gear on an airplane?

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

RCveteran wrote:Wow, I read all 13 pages and I am confused. I have been away for a long time 15-20 years and recently jumped back in. Currently rebuilding a few JRX2's which for the most part will be stock with a few upgrades like ball bearing steering and such. I also like the XX but can't tell where that would fit in. And what about my short arm RC10 graphite with stealth?

I really could care less about winning or losing just want to have a good time and relive my youth a bit. If it gets to complicated it feels like work and I have enough of that. However I don't want to be in the way of anyone who takes it a bit more seriously?

Not sure about this year but next for sure. And why not a run what you brung class say broken into 2wd, 4wd and truck and just use a standard motor. If some guy beats my stock JRX2 with his totallly tricked out quasi modern car, who cares. If he is happy and I am happy so be it.

Do you have any issues traveling with RC gear on an airplane?
Don't worry about all the forum back and forth stuff. People are just getting excited for the race that's right around the corner. Anybody could show up with just about any old car and they will get fit in somewhere. And most everybody I have seen who go had a great time.

Flying with your stuff is no problem. Just make sure all your gear checked in, you cant hardly carry anything on anymore. Oh, and don't pack anything with a blade or aerosol cans.

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

OK thanks for the clarification. I was getting stressed out, :lol: but sadly looks like this will have to be next year for me. Forgot about being on vacation on these dates.

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

Sorry if this threw everyone into a tizzy, definitely wasn't what I was aiming for. I think there's plenty of time... even as of today the race is a month and a half away and the only things that have changed are dealing wiht parts that are either still readily available or that we all have on some level.

Raul, the Novice class was an idea given to me by you and your girls. I want to see them and Freddy's kids and all the others have their own show and their own fun. :)

Vet as far as what you can run don't get yourself too worried. You can run whatever you want whereever you want. There is no true stock class this year and for exactly the reasons you asked about, I don't see how one would be easily done in the future. Think of Pro Stock as a cheaters class... want to run a faster motor? Put it in Pro Stock. Want to put a B4 tranny in your rc10? Put it in Pro Stock. Want to make your OWN chassis and fix all the JRX2's parts too it? Put it in Pro Stock. Want to put a TRX1 tranny on a JRX2 with RC10 suspension? Put it in Pro Stock... I think you get my point. 2wd is and will always be for cars that are basically as they were back in the day... Pro Stock is for experimenting and the body rule is just so it still looks vintage.

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

Melvin I PM'd you about 6 or 7 different ideas but if for some reason none of those work I don't (and I doubt anyone else would either) have a problem with you putting 27t armatures in modified cans and turning the timing to 24 degrees in either direction. And DON"T WORRY about wrecking anyone. We're all sharing the track and having fun. :)

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Got em Erich, thanks. Most I had seen. The HPI and Venom motors appear to be relabeled Mabuchi silver cans. I was hoping that Tamiya DIrt Tuned motor would be the solution, but I found a photo of it that makes it look like it does have advanced timing. Check the zero stamped on the can and the 4 marks on the endbell, they are not centered.
Screen shot.jpg
Screen shot.jpg (153.58 KiB) Viewed 794 times
Screen shot.jpg
Screen shot.jpg (153.58 KiB) Viewed 794 times

I don't have a stockpile of motors, armatures or cans around, and I'm not about to buy all new ones to take apart, probably mess them up and end up with $100 tied up into a pair of Frankenstein 27 turn motors. I'll just get some fresh Tamiya 540-J motors and you guys will just have to see how good you are at getting around a slow moving giant solid metal object that can roll over you without missing a beat. Whatever you do, don't get caught sideways in the gap between the doubles, your race will end in the most spectacular of ways. :lol:

Raul Garcia
Approved Member

Post by Raul Garcia »

thanks Erich... See u soon.

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

Melvin, thats what I was thinking too. Even more so, there's no tap holding the endbell in place... I think those might do.

Raul, anytime man! :)

Raul Garcia
Approved Member

Post by Raul Garcia »

Erich, I never saw the article or photos from last year, any online link?

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

Not sure, I know Matt Higgens left RCCA shortly after the race so it may have been cut. I'll ask him next time I see him.

Raul Garcia
Approved Member

Post by Raul Garcia »

Erich Reichert wrote:Not sure, I know Matt Higgens left RCCA shortly after the race so it may have been cut. I'll ask him next time I see him.
Wheres Matt at now?

I am managing the R/C side of a new Hobbytown USA in Stamford.

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

He left to work for a magazine outside the industry but I believe he's back now.

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

Erich Reichert wrote:Want to put a B4 tranny in your rc10? Put it in Pro Stock. Want to make your OWN chassis and fix all the JRX2's parts too it? Put it in Pro Stock. Want to put a TRX1 tranny on a JRX2 with RC10 suspension? Put it in Pro Stock... I think you get my point. 2wd is and will always be for cars that are basically as they were back in the day... Pro Stock is for experimenting and the body rule is just so it still looks vintage.
OK thanks, and that gives me some ideas. Here comes a JRXRC10B4UltimaProTopCat version 1.3. :lol:

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

Ah! Moving on after the fiery demise of version 1.2 huh?

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

Yes, the rubber band lay down front shock A-arm from the Topcat were the problem, with my new design I will still be using lay down shocks but they are invisible as they will be made from AREA 51 stealth material.