jconcepts detonator for rc10

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

romulus22
Approved Member

Re: jconcepts detonator for rc10

Post by romulus22 »

I don't know how you associated this body with that GI joe helicopter but it really does have that same shape :lol:

THE H.P FREAK
Approved Member

Post by THE H.P FREAK »

HI!.. I kinda like this body. Not new but different. No seperate wing.

102 RC vehicles and counting...

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

The "concept" part of Jconcepts tire and wheel combo, is the same as racing a short-arm, six gear RC10 with no slipper clutch.
Like Jason eluded to, anyone can already slap a 2.2 wheel and tire combo on their buggy (uh...can the B44 CVD's be used with the...) and how much has that built a class, or following so far? Sure, some of us here (myself included) have been racing a form of the RC10 with modern rubber, on current tracks for 3+ years, and how much of a "following" have we created? How much or little has the VONATS grown?
Racing a 6010 with that tire and wheel combo will offer an entirely unique experience over a 2.2 wheel and tire combo, including a unique suspension set-up needed and a much different track feel, and probably different racing lines as well. I think they (Ruona) have their finger on the pulse of the scene, and this type of thinking is exactly what Cliff Lett was referring to about successfully searching "for the next big thing".
Jconcepts is the first real aftermarket manufacturer of hop-up parts for the ReC10, and that takes guts. Hopefully other OEM's will follow suit, because competition (and the nature of is what made RC what it is that we all cherish in vintage) what makes the best products and support. But, we also have to support those manufacturers in turn.
Don't like the body design, or the wheels, so what, what are you going to do other than bitch? Because if your really that disappointed in something, or feel that strongly you can only do three things. One, go find another hobby. Two, learn to live with it. Three, make something different...go out and put your idea in the public domain, your money and time on the line...see what happens, and if your idea is better. Chances are, it's not...but then Pop's Losi did just that in 1988, and it created a huge chunk of the history we all love here...so maybe it is.
I applaud Jconcepts for supporting the ReC10!

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

romulus22 wrote:I don't know how you associated this body with that GI joe helicopter but it really does have that same shape :lol:
I knew it reminded me of some attack helicopter, but it wasn't quite the Apache. Not sure how I came up with it, and I didn't remember the toy name, but I know lots of GI Joe vehicles were 'inspired' by real vehicles, so I just searched for helicopters and GI Joe. Sometimes you just see something and it clicks with something you haven't thought about in 25 years.

JK Racing
Approved Member

Post by JK Racing »

Charlie don't surf wrote:ReC10!
Welcome Back :) we've missed you.

I want the new Detonator. I want the new tires, if not on JConcepts wheels, maybe I'll find a different wheel to stretch them onto (not 2.2).

I'm almost feeling guilty about building my ReC10 with CE arms and big bores...wait, that feeling is gone.

I'll build a 6 gear short arm car, probably on my used TQ10 chassis. Now that will be a challenge to tune to the track :)
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

JK Racing
Approved Member

Post by JK Racing »

JK Racing wrote:I'll build a 6 gear short arm car, probably on my used TQ10 chassis.
It will have a Detonator also :)
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

clm
Approved Member

Post by clm »

scr8p wrote:i still don't like the body. :lol:

but on to the tires/wheels.....

do guys race 2wd buggy class with sc tires and wheels..... or vice versa? or maybe stadium truck with 2.2 buggy tires and wheels..... or vice versa? how about sc tires and wheels on a stadium truck...... or vice versa? no? so why should jconcepts make direct fit 2.2 wheels when their goal is to create a vintage class/series all it's own?

from everything i've heard/read, modern/soft rubber tires and 3 piece wheels do not agree with one another. that includes old losi truck wheels too. unless you are planning on using lathe motors, you'll be blowing them off the rims with any kind of power behind it. if it worked, why are we wasting time gluing tires? where are all of the other multi piece off road wheels?

now, could they have built a harder tire that could've been used on the jelly bean wheels? i'm sure they could have. and when you put the car down on the track and it hooked up..... nowhere.... on today's modern tracks, guys would complain about the tires being to hard. so instead, they kept in the spirit of the old car, and created a new set of wheels in the correct size with modern rubber to match. i fail to see the problem.

remember, they're not only making parts for the car. they're trying to design a whole new class around it.

not to mention, jconcepts makes wheels. why should they make a tire so that associated can sell more of theirs? :lol:
It could also be that 3 piece wheels do not a return customer make... Why buy new wheels when your tires wear out if you can unbolt the wheels? Planned obselesence anyone? ;)

Chris
Losi - Jrx2, Pro, Jr2, Pro SE, JrxT, JrT, LXT, NXT, XXKE, XXTG+
Mini - T, LST, LST2, Crawler
Micro - Trekker, SCT, T
Crawlers - Trx4 Defender, Bootleg Bruiser Shelf Queen
-Bashers under contruction- Jrx2

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

I've never run modern tires on the RC10 wheels, but modern tires work just fine on the old 3 piece truck wheels, they work just fine for modern SC trucks running modern tires, monster trucks use them, and if I'm not mistaken most 5th scales use them. Not to mention just about every kind of full scale off road motorsport uses some kind of beadlock. So... why wouldn't they work on a 10 scale buggy?

clm
Approved Member

Post by clm »

Because then you wouldn't need to buy more when the tires wore out... wheel manufacturers (who are generally also the tire manufacturers) would lose income. :roll:

Chris
Losi - Jrx2, Pro, Jr2, Pro SE, JrxT, JrT, LXT, NXT, XXKE, XXTG+
Mini - T, LST, LST2, Crawler
Micro - Trekker, SCT, T
Crawlers - Trx4 Defender, Bootleg Bruiser Shelf Queen
-Bashers under contruction- Jrx2

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

clm wrote:Because then you wouldn't need to buy more when the tires wore out... wheel manufacturers (who are generally also the tire manufacturers) would lose income. :roll:

Chris
Awfully pessimistic aren't you? Couldn't have anything to do with 1984 design not being compatible 2014 tire compounds could it?

Justin, I have to disagree about 10T wheels still working. They will mount, but when you install the foams needed to support the tire, it kills the beadlock, and when running the foam pushes the tire out and it "blows out" and dislodges. I've tried it, and couldn't even keep tires on front wheels- SC tires don't use real beadlocks, and M/T tires might, but don't use soft rubber, nor are they forced to make a small (1.7") OD, they're like 4.0", so they can add "meat" to the mounting area. Crawlers do use them sucessfully, but at like 100rpm. A 6 gear with a 17.5 can hit about 10,000 rpm @ the wheel, and that's where centrifugal forces win-

MH7

Post by MH7 »

I don't get the wheels at all ?. Surely just making some 2.2 dished (I'm not a fan of spokes) that just bolted directly onto your RC10 without the need for adaptors would have made far more sense from a business point of view more than anything. Then you could just use any modern rubber and go racing. And don't forget that in the UK we race on mainly astro/grass type circuits so I doubt these tyres would be any good over here. Can't help thinking that J Concepts have spent a lot of time and money in solving a problem that never existed with this wheel tyre combination.

And as I've mentioned before I'd like to have seen the bodyshell a nice modern update of the RCPS ones which were by far the coolest RC10 shells.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

i do think it's funny that jconcepts is the bad guy here, not making direct fit 2.2 wheels, and not the manufacturer of the actual car. :lol:

there are plenty of options out there to do it. pick one.

JHarris
Approved Member

Post by JHarris »

I don't understand the 2.2 issue. There's several options for guys to run modern rubber. The issue was that guys wanted to run the smaller period correct tires. A manufacturer listened and made a product that meets the needs. Now guys are unhappy that they can't race with the jelly bean wheels. The new tires will probably mount to the jelly beans according to Jason. I want nothing more than you guys set on running that setup to video the results and post it!!! The internal ring and tire foam just won't let it work. I guess that must be because JConcepts wants to sell more wheels, right? The problem with that argument is acetone. JConcepts sells wheels 2pr to a pack. There will only be one tread type for the tires so you could have a new pair mounted every week after you acetone your wheels. Yep, you could race forever with one set of wheels. Problem solved

uniquenamehere
Approved Member

Post by uniquenamehere »

scr8p wrote:i do think it's funny that jconcepts is the bad guy here, not making direct fit 2.2 wheels, and not the manufacturer of the actual car. :lol:

there are plenty of options out there to do it. pick one.
LOL... no kidding. These are good problems to have... :)

That body is growing on me... and let's be honest, there's been some horrific bodies that were produced in the 80s and 90s.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

... and let's be honest, there's been some horrific bodies that were produced in the 80s and 90s.
Yup.....Dahms

Lol

I'm sure they will sell a ton, it's just not my cup of tea. Same with the wheels and tires, but I'm not mad at em! I think what they are doing is great.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website