2010 VINTAGE OFFROAD NATIONALS OFFICIAL THREAD• SEPT 16-19TH

Post about upcoming or past events.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

scr8p
Administrator

Re: 2010 VINTAGE OFFROAD NATIONALS OFFICIAL THREAD• SEPT 16-

Post by scr8p »

there should DEFINATELY be a kids class. but the classic class shouldn't be used to create it, other than using same rules/guidelines. leave the classic class alone.

for this year, being as though the race is right around the corner, i think nothing should be changed. except the addition of a kids class based of the classics class.

at some point over the v-nats weekend, we should take a half hour.....maybe an hour, and while we're all there, have a discussion on the classes, rules, etc., in preparation for next years race, and the races in the future.

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

Raul Garcia wrote:
People are loosing the concept of the "Vintage Nats". FUN. Dont dilute the classes, that would take away from the building of classes, and ultimately become more costly for entries. It would be ashame if someone ran two different 2wd classes, instead of a 2wd and lets say 4wd. Only my two cents.
How would this make entries more costly?

And it being a shame running 2 2wd classes? I guess that is easy for someone to say whose passion is 4wd. Well, I never ran 4wd as a kid and I still don't. So I stick with what I like. Like Erich said, 2wd is by far the largest class, and it would be the one to split up if you were going to. There has been a lot of guys inquire about a different class to run the original Ultimas and RC10's in, that way it is more balanced when we are talking about them running against the 1994 full on race machines. Then we would at least have a class for the adults to run their Foxes and modified classics.

I WILL agree with you Raul that we need to keep it simple. And I think that right now on the timeline is not the time to do major changes.

Raul Garcia
Approved Member

Post by Raul Garcia »

Scr8p, and Brandon I completly agree with your statements. A extra kids class is the easy way out.

tecnica2001
Approved Member

Post by tecnica2001 »

People gotta remember, that some of us started with the likes of hornets, grasshoppers and such when we were kids, the VONATs lets us re-live those times by allowing us to run those same buggies as adults, what's wrong with that?? :roll:

The fact that Erich separated it into age groups, it's awesome :D , he should've kept both classes with silver cans, but that's not a big deal.

As far as everything else, I'm running 2wd, Truck, and possibly 4wd.....If there was a class that would benefit from a little power boost it would definitely be the 4wd class... :mrgreen:

Just Run it..... I'll be there no matter what.....Raul Knows it.... :lol:
Life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what R/C car you're gonna get next!!!

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

I think a kids class is a good idea. Separate from the classics class. I think the kids might have more fun that way and one will get to win a class.

I'm also not a big fan of the open class, or whatever it's going to be called. I've said from day 1 that I don't think the XX is a vintage car. I think the smart thing to do would be to divide the buggy class in half by date if you want to split it up. Have one class be 6010 RC10 and early buggies, Ultimas, Scorchers, Frogs and other plastic cars. Then have the second class be long armed and Stealth equipped RC10s, Losis, etc up to 1994.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

So, about heavy metal motors. I was going to get my Clodbuster some Sport Tuned motors to give it a little punch over the silver can motors. It looks like the Sport Tuned motors must be timed as well, as they have an arrow for rotation direction. This is getting annoying. I really want to race my Clod. I'm not going to race with silver cans as I would pretty much be a moving road block out on the track against a 27T or 17.5 King Cab. It would be kind of pointless to even bother entering the race. Erich, can I run some modified motors in my Clod? Or can we figure out something so that a Clodbuster can have a fighting chance against trucks not requiring a reverse rotation motor?

tecnica2001
Approved Member

Post by tecnica2001 »

Hey Scott,

You can't do the same with some 27t motors?? just wondering, I always thought that you only needed to wire them in order to get the correct rotation that you needed. :?
Life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what R/C car you're gonna get next!!!

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

Hell just get a couple of adjustable timing 19t brushed motors, tweak the timing on the rev rotation motor, throw them in there and let em eat. It wouldn't hurt my feelings a bit. The Clods need a bit more motor on a track anyway.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

tecnica2001 wrote:Hey Scott,

You can't do the same with some 27t motors?? just wondering, I always thought that you only needed to wire them in order to get the correct rotation that you needed. :?
No, all 27T motors have fixed timing and the Clod needs to run one motor reverse rotation. Yeah, it will run by just wiring one of the motors backwards, but it won't run right.

Brandon, I was thinking the exact same thing. I think the Clods should be allowed to run mild modified motors, as they are slower than most vehicles to begin with. Even with a 19T motors, I'd be willing to bet a Clod would still not be able to keep up with a 27T King Cab going down the straight. I just don't want to show up with a couple mild modified motors in my truck and be disqualified.

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

MelvinsArmy wrote:and be disqualified.
Hasn't happened to anyone yet. :wink:
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

True. I just don't want to ruffle anyone's feathers. You know, someone might think I have an unfair advantage with a pair of 19T or 17T motors in a 12 pound, stock geared Clodbuster. :lol:

And Jeff, I really hope you decide to come this year!

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

I don't think it will be a problem. The participants in Vonats are an easy group to get along with. Even with the faster motors in it, it will still be a handful based on the nature of the vehicle. I'm running a Kingcab this year in heavy metal and I'm more worried about becoming Clod fodder.....

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

If you really wanted, you could stick 27t armatures in adjustable cans and get 'stock' motors that way.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Brandon G wrote:I don't think it will be a problem. The participants in Vonats are an easy group to get along with. Even with the faster motors in it, it will still be a handful based on the nature of the vehicle. I'm running a Kingcab this year in heavy metal and I'm more worried about becoming Clod fodder.....
Yeah, I think the biggest problem I'm going to have this year is making sure to play extra nice and make sure I don't accidently take anyone out. I'm not worried about any DNFs this year with JPS axles and a Sassy Chassis. I think the only thing that could possibly break on my truck would be the rod ends on the links. I hope I didn't just jinx myself.

jwscab, yeah I heard someone mention that at last year's VONATS. Not a bad idea, but by the time I'm done with that I'd have over $100 tied up into a pair of 27T motors.

markt311
Approved Member

Post by markt311 »

Melvin, Get some Losi or Associated 8th scale end links, they are very strong. As long as the 4 links dont over articulate it should hold up fine. When I was a kid at the local track they had a class for clod racers, it was the funnest thing to watch. They were running trucks built close to yours but with dual 13 turn motors and dual 8cell packs! Needless to say not many finished every race!
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!