Intriguing ad in RC Car Action - RC10 re-release?

Everything pertaining to the RC10 buggy re-releases.
Classic, Classic Clear, World's, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

terry.sc
Approved Member

Re: Intriguing ad in RC Car Action - RC10 re-release?

Post by terry.sc »

R/Cat wrote:Gotcha, although I assembled my fair share of cars in the 80's and, beyond removing excess sprue material, never had any of the fit-n-finish issues (deburring metal gears, grinding plates, etc) that some describe here with the RC10. While I never had to prepare a car for competitive/sanctioned racing, I always took pride (and still do) in making sure every moving part worked smoothly, properly and perfectly so they could've been raced if needed.
In 1985 I was racing a Frog, race preparation involved shimming the front suspension arms and drilling through them to sleeve them to take out play. Building the Frog gearbox took an hour or two, checking the side plates were flat, cleaning up the diff bevel gears and brass idler, lubricating everything correctly and spending ages shimming the diff outputs to get it to work as best as it could be, and then checking the diff play after every meeting. 99.99% of them would just be thrown together and work perfectly fine, but when racing at a decent level you did everything you could to get it as efficient as possible.
Can you tell me how I can add a link here to my Tamiyaclub showroom?
If you are logged in on Tamiyaclub, go here http://www.tamiyaclub.com/downloads.asp and the link to copy is in the first box underneath the wallpaper.Just paste it into your profile. 8)

SnoopMaxx
Approved Member

Post by SnoopMaxx »

jwscab wrote:If you decide to put 3/8 x 5/8 bearings on the outdrives you can reduce some rriction by leaving out the unflanged bearing inside and making a brass ring to fill the gap. Then the outdrive has good support.
gomachv wrote:I tried that once without the brass, the outdrive is not held by the screw anymore- make sure if you do it (as said above) that you add that brass tube 3/16 ID and the width of the bearing so the screw still holds the outdrive
Morten Max

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

SnoopMaxx wrote:
jwscab wrote:If you decide to put 3/8 x 5/8 bearings on the outdrives you can reduce some rriction by leaving out the unflanged bearing inside and making a brass ring to fill the gap. Then the outdrive has good support.
gomachv wrote:I tried that once without the brass, the outdrive is not held by the screw anymore- make sure if you do it (as said above) that you add that brass tube 3/16 ID and the width of the bearing so the screw still holds the outdrive
The RC Car Action article about that, June '91 (about a month before the Stealth made this a moot point), they left out the screw and used some brass tubing on the outside of the outdrive, between the 3/8 x 5/8 bearing and the gear. It seems like using a spacer in place of the smaller bearing and a screw is a better idea than putting a spacer over the outdrive.

SnoopMaxx
Approved Member

Post by SnoopMaxx »

SteveK wrote:
SnoopMaxx wrote:
The RC Car Action article about that, June '91 (about a month before the Stealth made this a moot point), they left out the screw and used some brass tubing on the outside of the outdrive, between the 3/8 x 5/8 bearing and the gear. It seems like using a spacer in place of the smaller bearing and a screw is a better idea than putting a spacer over the outdrive.
Need to dig that mag out and re-read that article :lol:
Morten Max

R/Cat
Approved Member

Post by R/Cat »

terry.sc wrote:
R/Cat wrote:Gotcha, although I assembled my fair share of cars in the 80's and, beyond removing excess sprue material, never had any of the fit-n-finish issues (deburring metal gears, grinding plates, etc) that some describe here with the RC10. While I never had to prepare a car for competitive/sanctioned racing, I always took pride (and still do) in making sure every moving part worked smoothly, properly and perfectly so they could've been raced if needed.
In 1985 I was racing a Frog, race preparation involved shimming the front suspension arms and drilling through them to sleeve them to take out play. Building the Frog gearbox took an hour or two, checking the side plates were flat, cleaning up the diff bevel gears and brass idler, lubricating everything correctly and spending ages shimming the diff outputs to get it to work as best as it could be, and then checking the diff play after every meeting. 99.99% of them would just be thrown together and work perfectly fine, but when racing at a decent level you did everything you could to get it as efficient as possible.
Can you tell me how I can add a link here to my Tamiyaclub showroom?
If you are logged in on Tamiyaclub, go here http://www.tamiyaclub.com/downloads.asp and the link to copy is in the first box underneath the wallpaper.Just paste it into your profile. 8)
Very interesting about the Frog and thanks for the link how-to. Somebody please let me know if it works. Thanks.

SnoopMaxx
Approved Member

Post by SnoopMaxx »

R/Cat..Your link don't work :(

I had to dig through all these

I found it

This photo really clarifies the modification
they just forgot that the screw and washer is still used to hold the outer bearing that replaces the felt and felt seal in step 11
Morten Max

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

R/Cat wrote:Very interesting about the Frog and thanks for the link how-to. Somebody please let me know if it works. Thanks.
Copy this code and paste it into your sig.

Code: Select all

[url=http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=27356][img]http://www.tamiyaclub.com/images/logo_member2.gif[/img][/url]

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

it's been in the scan archive for quite a few years......

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8834

SnoopMaxx
Approved Member

Post by SnoopMaxx »

I know, I have all the RCCA on PDF as well :wink:

There's just something about flipping through an old mag compared to reading it on the screen :D
Morten Max

R/Cat
Approved Member

Post by R/Cat »

terry.sc wrote:
R/Cat wrote:Very interesting about the Frog and thanks for the link how-to. Somebody please let me know if it works. Thanks.
Copy this code and paste it into your sig.

Code: Select all

[url=http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=27356][img]http://www.tamiyaclub.com/images/logo_member2.gif[/img][/url]

OK, thanks. done...testing with this post. Looks like it worked.

R/Cat
Approved Member

Post by R/Cat »

SnoopMaxx wrote:R/Cat..Your link don't work :(

I had to dig through all these

I found it

This photo really clarifies the modification
they just forgot that the screw and washer is still used to hold the outer bearing that replaces the felt and felt seal in step 11

Wow, I remember that issue like it was yesterday. I had so many issues saved and then had to toss them years ago to save space.

knixdad
Approved Member

Post by knixdad »

R/Cat wrote:
Wow, I remember that issue like it was yesterday. I had so many issues saved and then had to toss them years ago to save space.

I do the opposite, I make more space ;)
I miss brushed motors in that hazy, everything seemed better when I was a kid, kind of way.

R/Cat
Approved Member

Post by R/Cat »

knixdad wrote:
R/Cat wrote:

I should've done the SAME thing...I'm kicking myself now for getting rid of many dozens of issues. :roll: At least I didn't get rid of my r/c cars I've had since back then. :D

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave »

In some stupid non thought process I dumped many many years of mags when I moved quite awhile ago. I will get em back one day.

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

R/Cat wrote:
knixdad wrote:
R/Cat wrote:

I should've done the SAME thing...I'm kicking myself now for getting rid of many dozens of issues. :roll: At least I didn't get rid of my r/c cars I've had since back then. :D
I'm the opposite; I got all the PDFs on my iPad so I don't have to keep going into the basement looking through back issues LOL The only downside is they cut out the full-page ads, some of which come in handy.