Low, low Losi prices

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Re: Low, low Losi prices

Post by Eau Rouge »

It's an interesting takes on Losi stuff.

I'm wondering if the majority of collectors is more like the majority of members of this board, who didn't actually race "back in the day" and are more in love with the mystique of the RC10s and Tamiya "toys"? Could it be that the RC10 is the McDonald's of vintage R/C cars? It's just ubiquitous—and always will be—regardless of the performance or production numbers.

But that might explain the RC10's popularity. What confuses me so much is the lack of (market value) respect generated by the infant-era Losi cars.

Could it be that Losi cars generally didn't NEED or use aftermarket parts like the RC10 needed? My Losi cars almost always were run in kit form, with minor Losi option parts. I can't think of too many aftermarket parts I ever used on my JRs.

One thing IS accurate, however, in that Losi collectors and enthusiasts today can enjoy absolutely killer deals on primo examples of cars and rare parts.

I'm thinking I will keep my Pro and finish it with correct parts and pieces from that kit. There's no sense in giving it away, and no need to sell it just to make more shelf space. It was too great of a car in my history of racing.

d

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

scr8p wrote:maybe we should start lositalk.com. that should help bring the prices of old losi cars up. it's worked wonders for the rc10's. :roll: :lol:
Maybe all we need is a devoted Team Losi section here... :D :wink:

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Eau Rouge, I think you hit the nail on the head. The RC10 is an iconic car, no doubt. Losi definitely lives in AE's shadow, it just wasn't as big of a company, and it wasn't first on the scene. I know back in the day, at least at my local race track, there were a fraction of the Losis on the track that there were RC10s, and the Losi guys were pretty hardcore about their Losi loyalty. I guess things haven't changed very much. Only added on the fact the huge amount of "r/c collectors" who have joined the vintage buggy enthusiast ranks and are more interested in the iconic RC10 than the "challenger" or "underdog" Losis.

I think Losi is to AE what Lamborghini is to Ferrari in the supercar world. They came later, improved on existing technology and made a better car, and in smaller numbers. 8)

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Eau Rouge wrote:Could it be that Losi cars generally didn't NEED or use aftermarket parts like the RC10 needed? My Losi cars almost always were run in kit form, with minor Losi option parts. I can't think of too many aftermarket parts I ever used on my JRs.
i never had any aftermarket stuff on my team car bitd, and i never had a problem being competitive anywhere i raced. back then, the best hop-ups were awesome esc's, batteries and motors.

i really do think that because of the lack of after market support for the losi's back then (whether they needed them or not), they don't draw good money now. i could buy 20-30 gold tub rc10's, and build each one ofd them a different way. and i don't just mean wheels and tires. try to do that with a losi. it's not gonna happen.

not to say that a mint pro should only go for $50, but it is what it is. all i can say is start hoarding them now. eventually it'll turn around.

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

Yeah, it's probably a good time to get Losi's. Undervalued and a poor economy makes them pretty cheap.

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

I will likely be keeping mine.
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

highwayracer wrote:I don't think it's a Losi vs. Associated debate.

The market is based on people (like us) who collect older cars. Either everyone's Losi collection is completed...or everyone thinks that there's an unending supply of these cars and they are willing to wait for the perfect example to come along.

I can't believe that Doug's jrx pro just hasn't sold yet...

Regards,
highwayracer
I didn't mean to start a losi/ae debate. I should have been more clear that I was drawing parallels between the 2 companies, which both have taken somewhat similar directions, yet the rc-10 seems to have a much bigger following.
I agree also with scr8p and others that losi doesn't have the aftermarket array that ae did, which is part of the fun in collecting.
I would like to see a comprehensive list of just the chassis plates/tubs that were available aftermarket as I'm sure it is quite impressively long.
It is a good time to pick up losi vehicles. I have been able to get some really cheap, like 2 LXT's for $45 shipped in one deal. Lots of good aftermarket parts and electronics to be had that way too.
It is not a good time to sell. The rare pieces do ok price wise, but used cars have signifigantly dropped in price. Some of that is the usual sumer dip in ebayland, but gold-pans have not goe down nearly as much

markt311
Approved Member

Post by markt311 »

I'm going to start looking for an LXT or a XXT. I think they will be competitive at the indoor track this winter, plus it will mess with the regulars. They all race t4's with the same setup. It's good racing, I just like to be different.
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

Plain and simple, the RC10 is more popular because it represents a huge milestone in the timeline of RC Cars. The RC10 was first buggy that just absolutely crushed all the other competition buggies out there. I look at the Losi as a copy of what Associated did. Honestly I don't think Losi had an original thought until they came out with the Mini-T.

I think the hop up manufacturers were hold outs from a by gone era. Companies like CRP, RCH, MIP and others cut their teeth on making parts for Tamiya and Kyosho cars. These buggies really needed the hop ups to be competitive. On the other hand, the RC10 even with its somewhat problematic 6 gear transmission, was is bullit proof and totally competitive right out of the box. Once the Rc10 gained prominence, the aftermarket companies were making hop ups that were dubious at best. basically fixing something that doesn't need to be fixed. Aftermarket companies were facing hard times in a dwindling market and they either had to shift focus or they went out of business.

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

shodog wrote:Honestly I don't think Losi had an original thought until they came out with the Mini-T.
What? :shock:

:|

I know this is an RC10-based board (sorta), but... what?

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

trx1racer wrote:I'm going to start looking for an LXT or a XXT. I think they will be competitive at the indoor track this winter, plus it will mess with the regulars. They all race t4's with the same setup. It's good racing, I just like to be different.

The LXT I race hangs with the T4 but Its been more Expensive getting it to run with the big Dogs :lol: than it would have been to just buy a T4. the XX retro fit transmission will handle a Brushless with out a problem and the truck is fast. We will see how much it will take I am getting a Lipo and it will be much faster than the T4. My friend always said if it bends its strong if it breaks its gone!
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

Eau Rouge wrote:

Whats the matter? Panties in a bunch? :lol:

Please educate me on what Losi has innovated instead of just copying

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

shodog wrote: Honestly I don't think Losi had an original thought until they came out with the Mini-T.

I think the hop up manufacturers were hold outs from a by gone era. Companies like CRP, RCH, MIP and others cut their teeth on making parts for Tamiya and Kyosho cars. These buggies really needed the hop ups to be competitive. On the other hand, the RC10 even with its somewhat problematic 6 gear transmission, was is bullit proof and totally competitive right out of the box. Once the Rc10 gained prominence, the aftermarket companies were making hop ups that were dubious at best. basically fixing something that doesn't need to be fixed.
:shock: Eh, I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

For starters, the Jrx2 tranny was as big an improvement over the RC10's as the RC10's was over anything before it. The transmission, along with the suspension being the most important feature of a buggy. How about wide A-arms (and better all around front end geometry for that matter), taller wheels, better tires, cf chassis, and just having the entire car being a more simple design (aside from the 5-link rear end). Just off the top of my head.

For seconders- The LXT and ProSE/Jr2-T series of cars are pretty much responsible for what off road chassis look like to this very day. Today's cars are not stamped aluminum, they're molded composites, and those were started by Losi. From the B4 to the micro baja.

As far as RC10 hop-ups, I've got to disagree yet again. The Andys/RPM arms were a huge improvement over stock. The A&L and MIP trannies were a big improvent. The stock bellcranks on the RC10 totally suck. And, titanium tie rods are a must for anyone who is even moderately serious about racing, or at least finishing a race Of the three companies you named for RC10 hop ups, only MIP made decent parts for the RC10. Then, there was a flood of companies who were great that helped hop up the car. You're right, CRP was good for hopping up a Tamiya, but not good for hopping up an RC10.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

shodog wrote:
Eau Rouge wrote:

Whats the matter? Panties in a bunch? :lol:

Please educate me on what Losi has innovated instead of just copying
Now play nice boys. My panties always get in a bunch when people talk smack without knowing all (or any) of the facts.

I am always willing to edumicate the unedumicated. :wink:

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Ok, in case you missed the years between 1987 and 2003... :wink:

Just to name a few items:
  • JRX2 5-link rear suspension
    wide front suspension arms
    factory graphite chassis
    molded composites and chassis "tubs"
    Hydra-drive and slipper clutches
    soft compound real rubber tires
    bottom load shock cartridges
    progressive rate shock springs
To this day, Losi still makes a good chunk of tires for off road racing in all scales. They have always lead and not followed in that category, for sure.

And cars... just to name a few off the top of my head:
  • JRX-T
    JRXpro SE
    XXCR
    Street Weapon
    Rally Weapon
    XX4
    XXX4
    JRXS
    JRXS-R
    8ight
The next "innovative" car I see from Associated will be the first since the RC10. I'd say Team Losi has had a stronger record of pushing and advancing racing technology than anything Associated has created in a long time. Don't get me wrong, I love TA, but when it comes to innovation, they have been followers for more than 20 years—and now more than ever. :P :wink: