Delorean DMC 1:10 Scale Body?

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

myfordcnc
Approved Member

Re: Delorean DMC 1:10 Scale Body?

Post by myfordcnc »

ouch!

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Phin wrote:Re-packaged Kyosho Super Alta. I can understand why that might be worth that much to a collector.
Wow, I've never seen a DeLorean Super Alta before. Never mind a NIB one. If it wasn't a BIN auction, it probably would have gone for more.

hugger19
Approved Member

Post by hugger19 »

orginal auction i think he was asking $600 and it didnt sell so he relisted it at $300.

myfordcnc
Approved Member

Post by myfordcnc »

To Make a Buck (And I mean the form in this case) all you need basically is to not have any undercut (negative Draft) Right? What about shrinkage to you have to account for that. I have never worked lexan besides just hacking it up.

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

I'm no expert, but I've had some time to experiment :D As I understand it, you need draft to help eliminate webbing, it also helps the body pop off the buck. You might need some air channels in that buck to get a good detailed pull. Figure out where the body will mount and there's your channels.

Don't worry too much about it shrinking, that's really only a problem if you were to repro a body from an existing body where you're pouring plaster or whatever into it to make a buck.
-Kevin

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

myfordcnc wrote:To Make a Buck (And I mean the form in this case) all you need basically is to not have any undercut (negative Draft) Right? What about shrinkage to you have to account for that. I have never worked lexan besides just hacking it up.
If you want to get the body to be the right size, you do have to compensate for shrinkage of the lexan. Most of the shrinkage in back poured repro bodies is due to the original body shrinking when it comes off the mould, so the mould taken from the body is slightly smaller than the original, then the new body shrinks again when it cools.

If you want to make a replica to a specific size, you will want to add 0.7% to the dimensions, so for a 260mm wheelbase you want to make a pattern with a 262mm wheelbase to allow for the shrinkage.

You don't want any negative draft, otherwise you won't be able to pull it off the mould. There are ways around it, for example to get an undercut at the front you can make a multi-piece pattern so you can remove it in two or three parts.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Which is why some tamiya bodies show odd mould lines...three piece mould with wedge shaped center 8)
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

Would a 1/10 DeLorean come with a 1/10 bag of coke in the 1/10 glove box?
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Only if the Feds put it there :mrgreen:
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website