I know... what's old is new is old

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

ClemsonRC10

Re: I know... what's old is new is old

Post by ClemsonRC10 »

Looks nice! :)

slow_jun
Approved Member

Post by slow_jun »

spydur23 wrote:Yeah heres a couple pics. All I did was flip the bulkhead. I had to remove some material from the chassis tube mounting points to get them on there. I also put the brace on the body post mounting holes, as I see a lot of people do. Not sure how much purpose that serves, but I really don't like unused holes lol. I took the ball bearing steering off of an old losi. the black piece is straight across, unlike the other ones ive seen that are swept back on the ends. I would have to put washers/spacers underneath the bellcracks to mount the black piece on the bottom. So I tried it like this. The ball studs on both ends are mounted upside down. It doesn't seem to be causing any kind of problem with the geometry or clearance of any of the components. Also you'll notice I used a spacer on the camber links to try and keep the turnbuckle at a more parallel angle with the arm. Not sure how all this is gonna perform, but it looks cool lol.

Just a question? why would you flip the bulkhead? was it for performance or something? the issue of flipping it the allu brace thats on top of the Front hinge pins ( now in the back) helps to absorb crashes and keep the front Hinge pins from striping your bulkhead.

but it sure looks cool.. :D

“It is more shameful to distrust our friends than to be deceived by them.”
― Confucius

spydur23
Approved Member

Post by spydur23 »

slow_jun wrote:
spydur23 wrote:Yeah heres a couple pics. All I did was flip the bulkhead. I had to remove some material from the chassis tube mounting points to get them on there. I also put the brace on the body post mounting holes, as I see a lot of people do. Not sure how much purpose that serves, but I really don't like unused holes lol. I took the ball bearing steering off of an old losi. the black piece is straight across, unlike the other ones ive seen that are swept back on the ends. I would have to put washers/spacers underneath the bellcracks to mount the black piece on the bottom. So I tried it like this. The ball studs on both ends are mounted upside down. It doesn't seem to be causing any kind of problem with the geometry or clearance of any of the components. Also you'll notice I used a spacer on the camber links to try and keep the turnbuckle at a more parallel angle with the arm. Not sure how all this is gonna perform, but it looks cool lol.

Just a question? why would you flip the bulkhead? was it for performance or something? the issue of flipping it the allu brace thats on top of the Front hinge pins ( now in the back) helps to absorb crashes and keep the front Hinge pins from striping your bulkhead.

but it sure looks cool.. :D

Yeah it was purely for looks! Just wanted to try something different. I like that graphite buggy! When I had mine on graphite, I decided I wanted a tub. Now that its on a tub, I want graphite again! Lol As far as protecting the front, I think the truck bumper should do the job.

slow_jun
Approved Member

Post by slow_jun »

For frontal impacts,bumper would be best,but for hitting side railings etc(with your front wheels),that allu brace will keep the bulkhead from snapping.
― Confucius

spydur23
Approved Member

Post by spydur23 »

slow_jun wrote:For frontal impacts,bumper would be best,but for hitting side railings etc(with your front wheels),that allu brace will keep the bulkhead from snapping.
So wouldn't it work the same no matter which direction the bulkhead is facing?

slow_jun
Approved Member

Post by slow_jun »

seems you have installed it with no issue, it may work, but is it better, I don't know. those allu brace was design there for a reason so I would install them the way there were intended on my rig. just my 2 cents.
― Confucius

spydur23
Approved Member

Post by spydur23 »

Im not sure I understand what you are talking about slow... The brace was never designed or intended to be mounted on the body post holes of a truck bulkhead to begin with. That's a mod people started doing when the early worlds suspension came about. The brace was originally intended to be mounted on the front of the hinge pins on 10t's.

slow_jun
Approved Member

Post by slow_jun »

sorry, to have confused you.. hahah... but I may be wrong
― Confucius

spydur23
Approved Member

Post by spydur23 »

Took it out for it's maiden voyage at MHOR Raceway in Aurora, CO. Not a bad day. Didn't have a brushless setup handy, so I threw in a Reedy 14t and an old Novak M1c. Track was full of 22's and sct's that day, but the old rc10 held it's mud. A little work on setup, and a new brushless system and I think it could compete pretty well. Thinking of running it in the 13.5 class. Only has a few problems, one of which has me scratching my head. Kept breaking cva pins all day. Ended up replacing them with roll pins which seemed to do the trick. I don't have crush bearings in the losi hubs, which I'm pretty sure I need, but I don't know if the cva problem is related. Anyone??
Attachments
woin23.jpeg