FWD-GT TOP SPEED CAR

RC10/12/100/200/250/300/500/Dual Sport
General discussion, builds/restorations etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Phin
Approved Member

Re: FWD-GT TOP SPEED CAR

Post by Phin »

Is that body going to give enough down force to keep the car on the track at speed?

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

Wow, I didnt think you got this far with the car. its simply stunning!

The pinion is monstrous!

Are you going to stay with foam tires?

romulus22

Post by romulus22 »

justinspeed79 wrote:Looking good. Direct linkage steering?
Yep, 200oz, a little on the slow side. Should be plenty strong enough to keep it in a straight line. Less joint places for slop to occur.
Phin wrote:Is that body going to give enough down force to keep the car on the track at speed?
It should, we'll see though. Unlike an AWD or RWD this car won't want to lift the nose as bad so that's a plus.
LoboNYC wrote:
Are you going to stay with foam tires?
Foams don't expand as bad as rubber tires. I've seen people belt touring car tires with Kevlar string and glue. But all that is just a ton of rotating mass compared to these foams. If these explode I should be able to pick up quite a bit of replacements from BSR racing. That's me hoping of course. Eliminate the middlemen and shipping and buy straight from him and it should lower the cost a little.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Might see how hard it is to "cap" the tires in silicone. The insane speed run cars and velodrome cars seemed to do well with caps
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

romulus22

Post by romulus22 »

BSR also sells capped touring car tires. I've just seen a lot of the newer top speed cars using foams. Even the Team Associated top speed car is running BSR foams.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Well, I am speaking 90's technology :mrgreen:
Can't wait to see how she goes. Steering atv is gonna be pretty darn narrow 8)
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

I knew the can was technically a 3s max. Guy I got the advice from when purchasing the combo ran his on 4s all the time with no issues at all. The 6s was a plan if the 4s doesn't achieve the speed I'd like. I honestly don't know much about these motors but I don't plan on bashing like some would in a big heavy vehicle with big tires. My temps should stay relatively low making 10 second runs every 10 min or so. Ill be surprised if the car goes past the 4lb range. With the higher gearing on 6s the load will also be less. We'll see I guess but you may be correct.
Well, one way to find out. Lol. I can't see the numbers on it, but unlike the theory on motors, ESCs definitely can't take more than they're rated for, and that looks like a 1/10 ESC. I do know the Hobbywing 150A Xerun can take 6S no problem, and they're only $100.

Where did you get the carbon fiber sheet? I could use some of that!

As for speed tires, I use OFNA belted tires on my GT, but that truck is outfitted with 1/8 wheels, and I have never seen belteds in 1/10 scale. However, these smaller touring car tires don't balloon to the degree that wider buggy or truck tires will.

Too bad you live 1,000 miles away, I'd love to run side by side with ya. No idea what the top speed on my touring car is now, but it should be pretty fast:

That would be a Picco .21 with 26/48 2nd gear.

Won't outrun my speedster GT, but definitely handles better.
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

In this case a little slow on the steering is probably not such a bad thing.

romulus22

Post by romulus22 »

gomachv wrote: Steering atv is gonna be pretty darn narrow 8)
This is a new term to me. Can you explain what you mean "atv", thanks
Sixtysixdeuce wrote: Where did you get the carbon fiber sheet? I could use some of that!
You'll have a pm coming your way in a few min.
Also id love to see that car run. Do you have any videos of it in action?

And I finally remembered to bring my countersink bit home so I finished off the underside of the chassis, for now. Mounted the servo and finished up the front suspension. Stuck everything in place to see how it will all fit. Starting to look like a complete car now. Next up is to shorten the motor leads and tidy up the wiring to the receiver. Oh and I still have to solder my battery leads too. So close but still so far away.

SFC K
Approved Member

Post by SFC K »

Wow! This looks like it is going to move at blistering speeds! Nice work on the custom chassis for it!

So do you have a nice flat place to run it with no traffic? :wink: I can't wait to hear what this puts up for numbers! Keep us posted!

Foam tires for speed runs is a better choice than a rubber tire any day.
Jeff

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

Lookin' good!

Did you carve out the shock towers too? If so, wow, nice job!
Also id love to see that car run. Do you have any videos of it in action?
Not yet. We got the muffler/pipe TIG welded a few weeks back, but either been busy with other stuff or had crappy weather when free time existed. Not a lot of places to run these things out here, especially not safe places. This car has come very near being squished by 1:1 stuff many times in the past. I do know how that engine runs, though, as it's lived in both a GT and an OFNA 1/8 buggy before this. Freshly rebuilt, but I'm still a bit nervous about modding myself, so it's stock.

Thanks for the link! I am already dreaming up all the parts I can build with that stuff! TC3 could shed 1/2 pound or more, as could GT speedster, and I'm sure I could substantially shave my 1/16 nitro touring car. I'd go after my RC18GT as well, but that thing is already retarded with a .15 in it at 2-1/2 pounds.
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

spydur23
Approved Member

Post by spydur23 »

Simply amazing! Hey i'm getting ready to order some cf plate for this buggy I just built. Where'd you get yours from? what thickness is it?

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

when you get the car all ready to go, do your self a favor and make front, side and rear lexan skirts that double side tape to the the chassis, and velcro all around the outside of the body that contour very closely to the wheels, effectively making a smooth surface under the car. This will keep a bunch of air from 'scooping' the body up at speed and making the car light. If you can work it so you have an up-tilt on the rear portion, it will help stick it to the track.

romulus22

Post by romulus22 »

jwscab wrote:when you get the car all ready to go, do your self a favor and make front, side and rear lexan skirts that double side tape to the the chassis, and velcro all around the outside of the body that contour very closely to the wheels, effectively making a smooth surface under the car. This will keep a bunch of air from 'scooping' the body up at speed and making the car light. If you can work it so you have an up-tilt on the rear portion, it will help stick it to the track.
That's a pretty good idea with the lexan. I was already contemplating buying another sheet of Carbon fiber and tracing the body onto it and cutting a new main chassis with only cutouts for the tires. Your idea with the lexan skirts would achieve the same thing. My main goal is to get the car driving before I go changing too many things or spending any more money. For all I know I might have just made the worlds best car at doing 60mph burnouts. I went over my mothers to pick up my heat shrink tubing and rapid remover. I'll probably have the car going soon. I want to test it out for a little bit before I do any full power speed runs. Don't want anything vibrating loose on a first run and exploding my car. The body does have a slight wedge shape to it so I believe it should stick to the ground pretty well.
Sixtysixdeuce wrote: Did you carve out the shock towers too? If so, wow, nice job!
I did not make the rear tower. Just something I saw at the hobby shop that I knew would be a good size for the rear. Just drilled the GT rear bulkhead and bolted it on. The front I did cut but its just a simple rectangle shape.
SFC K wrote:
So do you have a nice flat place to run it with no traffic?
Ive been scoping out parking lots as I drive around but none yet look to be what I'd like. There is a large 5 lane bypass highway near me that doesn't get much traffic as a typical interstate. At the right time of day I can drive on it and be the only one. This is where I will most likely do my speed runs.

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

romulus22 wrote:
gomachv wrote: Steering atv is gonna be pretty darn narrow 8)
This is a new term to me. Can you explain what you mean "atv", thanks
ATV= adjustable travel volume. Basically the same as ATL(adjustable travel limiter), and EPA(end point adjustment).

Limits how far your servo moves. Similar to steering dual rate, but adjustable individually.

Expo might help too. :mrgreen: