Rc10boi rc10gt

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Re: Rc10boi rc10gt

Post by LoboNYC »

Rc10boi wrote:
LoboNYC wrote: That's what I was referring to. :wink: I should get a 90* elbow like yours. Much nicer! Thanks for that tip! Say, how do you like the Robinson spur and clutch bell combo? Was contemplating to get it but thought it would add weight .
Okay, i guess i got confused and i wanted to make sure you got correct info. The 90 degree pressure fitting makes it neat and sends the tube on a straight path to the fuel tank. i used JB weld as well.

Ive had the Robinson spur/clutch bell combo for the life of the truck and it has done well. I have a factory team truck and slapped the Robinson gears onto it as well. A third GT is still new in box and has a new set of Robinson gears waiting for it when the time comes for me to build.

I like to strengthen the gear box with all metal gears and wanted to eliminate the chance of stripping the spur so thats why i use the spur gear combo.....never leave home without it, lol

Rc10boi

Post by Rc10boi »

LoboNYC wrote:
Rc10boi wrote:
LoboNYC wrote: That's what I was referring to. :wink: I should get a 90* elbow like yours. Much nicer! Thanks for that tip! Say, how do you like the Robinson spur and clutch bell combo? Was contemplating to get it but thought it would add weight .
Okay, i guess i got confused and i wanted to make sure you got correct info. The 90 degree pressure fitting makes it neat and sends the tube on a straight path to the fuel tank. i used JB weld as well.

Ive had the Robinson spur/clutch bell combo for the life of the truck and it has done well. I have a factory team truck and slapped the Robinson gears onto it as well. A third GT is still new in box and has a new set of Robinson gears waiting for it when the time comes for me to build.

I like to strengthen the gear box with all metal gears and wanted to eliminate the chance of stripping the spur so thats why i use the spur gear combo.....never leave home without it, lol
Nice! Still have a BNIB gt? Nice!! Is it for sale? Lol?

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

That's a lot of aluminum, Lobo. Looks nice, but my experience has been that adding so much weight drastically changes the handling characteristics for the worse.

My suggestion to people wanting tough but still nimble GTs is to use alloy rear bulk heads, trans brace, arm mounts and hub carriers, RPM arms front & rear, and RPM ball cups. Then use longer screws and ball studs with nuts on the back side of every single one. And of course, RRP steel spur, steel idler and hard aluminum diff gear.

I've built a couple dozen GTs with many different parts combinations, including a lot of hand made stuff (well, machined, but on a manual mill). These trucks work best if you can keep them well balanced and under 4-1/2 pounds total with body, fuel and batteries. When they start pushing up and over 5 lbs, they don't fly right, they land hard, and they spin out a lot. Trust me. I have a 97% metal, 7.2 lb GT with an OFNA .32, and the thing is nearly uncontrollable. It has 1/8 scale shocks rear and rear shocks up front with dual springs just to cope with the extra 3 lbs. Neat at it is, my black tub with an HPI .18 and the GT2 with an OS .12 TZ are far better performers.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

I couldnt agree with you more on the weight savings and the over abundance of aluminum on the GTSixtysixdeuce. In my defense, lol, that GT was my first GT purchased back in 1994. After many years of duty it bogged down in a pool of muddy water and spent nearly 5 years in the closet entouched. When i decided to bring it back to life i wanted to bring it back as road truck (no more mud for me, lol) and i wanted to bling it out. It got the royal treatment, lol. But you are correct as it was slow especially with the big imex tires. Those things were heavy so acceleration suffered a lot.

However, i do have three other factory team trucks.

One FT truck is upgraded only with RPM arms and bumpers. the only added metal is the gears in gearbox and the spur gear.
The second is Factory Team stock with the only change being aluminum wheels and HPI road tires.
The third Factory team is bone stock with stock tires. The only upgrades are what the "Factory Team" version brings.

The GT is a great truck and great performer if kept light.

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

Rc10boi wrote: Nice! Still have a BNIB gt? Nice!! Is it for sale? Lol?
YES, Brand new in box with the included OS .12 motor, MIP CVD's, associated GT body and VHS tape, lol. The box is open but everything is sealed in their original bags. Even the engine.

I purchased it as a rainy day build and collected a lot of the aftermarket parts for it when the time comes.

IM WAITING FOR THE RAINS!!!! WHEN IS IT GOING TO RAIN?!?!?!?! lol

Teaser Shots

engine in bag

Rc10boi

Post by Rc10boi »

LoboNYC wrote:
Rc10boi wrote: Nice! Still have a BNIB gt? Nice!! Is it for sale? Lol?
YES, Brand new in box with the included OS .12 motor, MIP CVD's, associated GT body and VHS tape, lol. The box is open but everything is sealed in their original bags. Even the engine.

I purchased it as a rainy day build and collected a lot of the aftermarket parts for it when the time comes.

IM WAITING FOR THE RAINS!!!! WHEN IS IT GOING TO RAIN?!?!?!?! lol

Teaser Shots

engine in bag

SIMPLY AMAZING SIR!! I remember that box and how I was in awe with it then and now :wink: wish I kept the box but that was 20 years ago. :( it's raining here now so i can build it for ya!? :lol:

Rc10boi

Post by Rc10boi »

DHood wrote:
Rc10boi wrote:
DHood wrote:You don't need a nipple, Just push the hose into the pipe a little bit

I contemplated on that but decided to go with the nipple. Looks more finished even with the goob of jb weld. :D
:?

:wink:

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

Rc10boi wrote: SIMPLY AMAZING SIR!! I remember that box and how I was in awe with it then and now :wink: wish I kept the box but that was 20 years ago. :( it's raining here now so i can build it for ya!? :lol:
Its something about the GT that keeps you as you say "in awe". I had that same feeling when i first got it. In fact i still have the original box, lol.

Now im into the nitro DS which carries the same DNA as the GT. Unfortunately i have not been able to get a Nitro DS in a box. I did however manage to get one in mint condition, never run, fully equipped, minus the receiver. This was a superb score as the tires are still grippy and new.

THIS HOBBY IS TOO ADDICTING!!! I NEED HELP!!!

Rc10boi

Post by Rc10boi »

LoboNYC wrote:
Rc10boi wrote: SIMPLY AMAZING SIR!! I remember that box and how I was in awe with it then and now :wink: wish I kept the box but that was 20 years ago. :( it's raining here now so i can build it for ya!? :lol:
Its something about the GT that keeps you as you say "in awe". I had that same feeling when i first got it. In fact i still have the original box, lol.

Now im into the nitro DS which carries the same DNA as the GT. Unfortunately i have not been able to get a Nitro DS in a box. I did however manage to get one in mint condition, never run, fully equipped, minus the receiver. This was a superb score as the tires are still grippy and new.

THIS HOBBY IS TOO ADDICTING!!! I NEED HELP!!!
You are absolutely CORRECT!! With the GT , I have a fully hopped up 1/5th buggy and soon to be monster truck. These are wickedly FAST! Keeps me busy though! :mrgreen: