What are you guys using for vintage tire preservation???

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

angus

Re: What are you guys using for vintage tire preservation???

Post by angus »

I just discovered that baking the tires in the oven makes them look really new!

325 for 15min did nothing to hurt them but they look real shiny and new.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

little bump for an older thread...

i guess i'm gonna have to start being a little more pro-active about conditioning my tires. i'm starting to see issues with some of them. like on my masami replica, the front crp dynamite tire are split apart pretty bad. it also doesn't help that it's a 2.0 tire stretched over a 2.1 wheel. i pretty much knew it was gonna happen one day so i bought a pair of backups. but the tr-9's on the rear, i just noticed those last night. you can see the sidewall is starting to shatter (so to speak), and when you give it a squeeze, it really shows up. the tq-21's on my fusion speed car are the same way. they have always been set up on something so no weight was ever on the tires. just drying out i guess.

i'll try and do something with them still on the wheels, because i'm sure i'll tear them apart if i try to dismount them.

ah well....... :roll:

integra22t
Approved Member

Post by integra22t »

i was told by a body guy if you want your tires shiny forever paint them with clear bumper paint .. it has the flex agent so it dosent crack and might help to preserve the tire

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

scr8p wrote:i guess i'm gonna have to start being a little more pro-active about conditioning my tires. i'm starting to see issues with some of them.
Same here. I have about a dozen or so cars stored away in the basement stacked on top of each other or off stands and the tires are either getting flat or dry. I'm pissed at myself for it because most of them were in pristine shelf condition when I put them down there. Unfortunately I'd push them around or throw them to the side to make room for some other passing interest I was going thru at the time. They'll clean right up, but it will be tedious work that could have been easily avoided...
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

CamplinP
Approved Member

Post by CamplinP »

The hard thing about this is that it takes so long to know if something hurts or helps. You need about 5 identical tires, one for the untouched control and then various products on the others and record observations over time. To add to the problem not all tires have the same ingredients in the compounds.
The Fox, Falcon, 9 RC10s black/gold/graph, Optima Mid SE EXT, Losi XXXT, B3, B4, 3 T4s, Evader BX, Evader ST, Buggy Champ '09, Sand Scorcher '10, RC10T, RC10DS

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

I know we are talking rubber, but I literally cracked a package of AJ's foams two months ago and put them on rims- no glue and they are now cracked like crazy. Pretty miffed! Im thinking all my AJ's foams are probably the same :(

Any trick for foams besides traction compound? It's a small shed.....and as much as I love Paragon it may prevent me from working
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

kink
Approved Member

Post by kink »

I was thinking about using oil to coat my new tyres. Maybe WD40. It seems to me if they are away from light and are not allowed to dry out they should be fine. But I have not tested or researched it yet. This is just my initial idea.
GARBO 1/8

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

gomachv wrote:Any trick for foams besides traction compound? It's a small shed.....and as much as I love Paragon it may prevent me from working
Or you could rent it out as a Huff House and make a few extra bucks... :idea:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

I think if you search - food grade silicone - on this board (or google "food grade silicone" site:www.rc10talk.com), you will get some additional information for rubber tires. Some of the anti-silicone opinion may be not because of the silicone, but the additives, specifically solvents, that are in the non-food grade stuff (i e the stuff you pick up off the auto parts store shelves, and can't eat :D ).
- Brian -

My Gallery

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Y'ernat Al wrote:I think if you search - food grade silicone - on this board (or google "food grade silicone" site:www.rc10talk.com), you will get some additional information for rubber tires. Some of the anti-silicone opinion may be not because of the silicone, but the additives, specifically solvents, that are in the non-food grade stuff (i e the stuff you pick up off the auto parts store shelves, and can't eat :D ).
Like this one, but it was pretty late at night for Reg and I from the looks of it... :oops: :lol:
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=20836&hilit
Ken

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

Yep. Even 10talk's search engine works when you enter "Snozzberry" :lol:

The stuff I have I got from a brew supply place. It's a silicone in a tube intended to keep the rubber seals on your kegerator fittings from drying out. It's food grade, and it's in a tube (ie it's not thinned with alchohol to make it sprayable - which is counter productive because that makes it volatile).
- Brian -

My Gallery

fakiee
Approved Member

Post by fakiee »

Wurth rubber care for restoration and 'cutting' the rubber.

This http://www.autoglym.com/products/products/vinyl-and-rubber-care for preservation and finish. I've had a set of tires in a sealed bag sprayed with this stuff and they are lovely and soft. Not sure how well it fares with tires open to air over time, or what happens to the tires if you run them.

You need to register but there is a good guide here: http://www.tamiyabase.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=142:rc-tyre-preservation&catid=53&Itemid=554

skunk.werkz
Approved Member

Post by skunk.werkz »

I might be crazy but I thought I read at some point that suntan lotion is good for tires, possibly foams. Probably wouldnt hurt to put on rubber either and has protection for UV too! 8)

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Someone should start doing reproduction tires. Theres already reproduction bodies and decals. Why not tires? I'm assuming because of the difficulty, and the production costs outweighing the demand.
Those Optima tires that were reproduced were a good indication of the difficulty. I bet they've made their investment cost back with them though.

JPAE07
Approved Member

Post by JPAE07 »

Lowgear wrote:Someone should start doing reproduction tires. Theres already reproduction bodies and decals. Why not tires? I'm assuming because of the difficulty, and the production costs outweighing the demand.
Those Optima tires that were reproduced were a good indication of the difficulty. I bet they've made their investment cost back with them though.
That's what I'm saying.