Can this buggy be raced without spending a fortune?

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Re: Can this buggy be raced without spending a fortune?

Post by PBR Allstar »

about the least you can get away with for a decent combo is the speed passion stock spec system, it really is the bottom rung though, if other people are out there with better motors (stock esc is pretty much all the same in brushless, as long as it's a "non boost" class) you will get out motored.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_221_911_1949/products_id/195688/n/Speed-Passion-Cirtix-Series-Stock-Club-Race-ESC-and-Motor-Combo-175T

basically, if you're going stock class racing and you want good battery, and brushless setup expect to be spending in the $250 range.

Really though, just put a battery in and take the car to the track, it's fun bringing out a 20 year old racer, lots of attention, you'll get some conversations going, and who know's somone may help you out with some better electronics, happens at the track all the time. Work on it one piece at a time and just HAVE FUN!

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

for a battery look into a Turnigy Nano-Tech

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

Here's the battery I mentioned above.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__24222__Turnigy_nano_tech_6600mah_2S2P_65_130C_Hardcase_Lipo_Pack_USA_Warehouse_.html

Turnigy also makes a good lipo charger, the accucell-6. I have a couple of them for my track chargers.

Another thing about brushless racing. Most racing, espcially if it's labled as "stock" class will be very specific on rules, it will usually be a 17.5 sensored brushless motor (some places run stock class with 13.5 motors). Basically all I'm saying is check out the rules for the class you want to race, usually if it's a brushless stock class and you show up with older brushed equipment no one is going to raise a stink. So just make sure you get the most versitile equipment for what you want to do.

cautiousone
Approved Member

Post by cautiousone »

PBR Allstar wrote:about the least you can get away with for a decent combo is the speed passion stock spec system, it really is the bottom rung though, if other people are out there with better motors (stock esc is pretty much all the same in brushless, as long as it's a "non boost" class) you will get out motored.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_221_911_1949/products_id/195688/n/Speed-Passion-Cirtix-Series-Stock-Club-Race-ESC-and-Motor-Combo-175T

basically, if you're going stock class racing and you want good battery, and brushless setup expect to be spending in the $250 range.

Really though, just put a battery in and take the car to the track, it's fun bringing out a 20 year old racer, lots of attention, you'll get some conversations going, and who know's somone may help you out with some better electronics, happens at the track all the time. Work on it one piece at a time and just HAVE FUN!
Well I'm not spending $250.00 for sure, I'm not really looking to go out and blow doors off, but I want to be able to keep up and not get blown away either. I'm just trying to figure out how I can best make that happen and not spend a fortune doing so. I know it will be fun, one way or the other though and thanks so much for the advice.
RC10talk.com is like a bad accident, I just can't stop looking at it...

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

then I say just pick up a battery that will get you around the track and get out there. see what class you'll fit in best and ask around about equipment. Nothing wrong with buying used equipment either if it's well cared for.

That said, here is a battery charger/power supply that will get you going and is good piece for the money.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Imax-B6-Lipo-Nimh-Nicd-Battery-Blance-Charger-LED-Charging-Adaptor-CWB6TB-/270959550422?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f16729fd6

And a battery that is budget minded that will get you around the track just fine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5000mAh-7-4V-7-4-30C-RC-Car-Lipo-Battery-Akku-Hard-Case-/120872359834?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c248dd79a

cautiousone
Approved Member

Post by cautiousone »

Well that sounds like good advice to me, battery and charger first and then I can fine tune the buggy chassis as i go along with other mods.

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

I recently puchased some Gens Ace hard case LiPo's (ROAR approved), and so far they are great. I think they were $29 a pack, and free shipping if your order is over $50 (so you should think about purchasing 2). I did allot of research, and they were the cheapest ROAR approved LiPo's I could find. -Jeff

foots
Approved Member

Post by foots »

Jay Dub wrote:I recently puchased some Gens Ace hard case LiPo's (ROAR approved), and so far they are great. I think they were $29 a pack, and free shipping if your order is over $50 (so you should think about purchasing 2). I did allot of research, and they were the cheapest ROAR approved LiPo's I could find. -Jeff

Best deal out there. I run 5000mah 40c Gens Ace in my B4.1 and SC10 4x4. 10.5 and 5.5 turn. Nobody out runs me on the straightaways, everywhere else is a different story :lol:

cautiousone
Approved Member

Post by cautiousone »

Jay Dub wrote:I recently puchased some Gens Ace hard case LiPo's (ROAR approved), and so far they are great. I think they were $29 a pack, and free shipping if your order is over $50 (so you should think about purchasing 2). I did allot of research, and they were the cheapest ROAR approved LiPo's I could find. -Jeff
Well that sounds like a good deal, I'll check into them for sure and thanks for the info. :wink:

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

I believe they are from HobbyPartz.com. You can get them on e-bay, but they are way overpriced. -Jeff

cautiousone
Approved Member

Post by cautiousone »

Jay Dub wrote:I believe they are from HobbyPartz.com. You can get them on e-bay, but they are way overpriced. -Jeff
HobbyPartz website says it's out of stock on those units, but I will keep checking back as it will be a few months before I try to take this to the track. Thanks again for everyone's help, you guys are the best...

Ronborsk

Post by Ronborsk »

Good inexpensive sensorless esc. U.S. Supplier. Hobbywing is top notch. I have 3 of them.

http://www.largescaleremotecontrol.com/Hobbywing_EZRUN_60A_SL_Brushless_ESC_for_1_12_and_p/c-ezrun-60a-v2.htm

Then hunt yourself down the motor you want.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

a proper servo will make more difference than anything else one can think of....
:wink:

paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

Ronborsk

Post by Ronborsk »

Oh, forgot. I have made some purchases from RC Echo as well. They have a number of combos available. Hobbywing 60a escs with a motor less than $100.

They also sell the Leopard combo for about $60. We had a guy at our track that used the Leopard forever.

As with any of the electrics just be sure and research what you can and cannot do. 3 cells can destroy an esc with the wrong combination of motor/esc/gearing.

Ron

Ditto on the servo comment. Tires/Servo/ and a way to get the power to the ground is what is needed. The good thing is, for light cars like this the high c ratings are not really needed in a battery meaning you can get them dirt cheap.

cautiousone
Approved Member

Post by cautiousone »

Lonestar wrote:a proper servo will make more difference than anything else one can think of....
:wink:

paul
What do you guys consider a good servo?