For real?!

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

GreenHell
Approved Member

Re: For real?!

Post by GreenHell »

Just like the non functioning front wheels, it's in the rules.
"All I wanted was a Pepsi..."

My Gallery | My Feedback | Rapid_RC

steve
Approved Member

Post by steve »

I do miss the blue king . worked at City Limits track in the 90's. lots of fun , the owner told me that this is cheeper than rc , sure 200 for a motor . we ran box and I 15 , outlaw 20 and flexy

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Some of my fondest (under 3) childhood memories were at a track called Miniature [/color]Gran Prix, in Cammilus NY with my dad.

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

GreenHell wrote:
I-15
looking at that motor at an angle brings to mind gene husting. wasn't he the first to come up with that?

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Why don't they just put the motor down parallel with the chassis and use a crown gear on the axle like with HO scale? Does it cause a gyroscopic effect or something?

Mindwarp
Approved Member

Post by Mindwarp »

littleVETTE wrote:
GreenHell wrote:
I-15
looking at that motor at an angle brings to mind gene husting. wasn't he the first to come up with that?
http://www.electricdreams.com/Slot-Car-Collecting-and-Racing-News/tag/slot-cars-slot-car-racing/

steve
Approved Member

Post by steve »

Lowgear wrote:Why don't they just put the motor down parallel with the chassis and use a crown gear on the axle like with HO scale? Does it cause a gyroscopic effect or something?
The tire would be smaller that the crown gear plus the crown gear were 36 pitch and most ran 48 pitch gears

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

you can get 64p crown gears, but they're mainly used in drag racing.

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

I worked at the local slot car track when I was in high school. I raced mostly group 27, and we had a group 12 GTP style class that was very popular which I raced a lot. I recently sold all my cars to a guy in Australia, there were some nice cars but mostly outdated stuff. When I was getting out, the laser cut chassis were just starting to come on the scene, but all my stuff was Koford wire cars. The only thing I kept was my rear axle jig. A local guy made a couple and I had to bug him for a year to get one. basically a small granite surface plate, with two tool steel pins on each side of the axle to square it for and aft in relation to another tool steel pin that was on a little carriage in a slot to set the guide, and then there were ground spacer blocks to set the axle height. then at the other end there was a mimicked setup, one end was for 1/8 axles for all your 1/24 scale nascar stuff and stamped chassis classes, and at the other was the setup for 3/32 axles. This was all so you could glue or solder in your axle bearings/bushings absolutely perfect, which was a huge deal. between chassis setup and building a motor I would have 8-10 hours in one of my competition group 27 cars. I could easily spend 5 hours prepping a 16D slotworks or champion chassis for nascar class (the owner of the track/my boss requested I stopped racing that class LOL! which is how I got him to sponsor my Group 27 racing!). I entered a couple regional Group 7 races, but it was just too much. At those speeds if they come out of the slot then need to go back in the jig because odds are out a little.