Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RedScampi
Approved Member

Re: PB cars - A bit on the odd side

Post by RedScampi »

Asso_man! wrote:
RedScampi wrote: Now to find the Ace...
Good luck on that one!

You have very nice examples there! I am always amazed to see new built cars pop up 20 years + after their original release. Gotta love the PB cars in general, so different from everything else.
Thanks!
Yeah the Ace is probably a pipe dream. But then so was the Maxima and the Mini Mustang. I never thought I'd ever own any of them, much less in such nice condition!
Gary

RedScampi
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

[quote="J.M."]
I recently owned 3 Maxima's. One for the track, another near new built from parts (which I recently sold) and the third being NIB. I have also had 3 Mustangs which were in varying condition but all nice cars. Today I have a Mustang and Maxima for the track which I can safely say that I'll never sell. They are great cars and for the nostalgic buff they are a real treat.

quote]

Jason

Thank you for the kind words Jason! Drooling over your car pictures as well as a few others was what made me want these so much. There's something about the design that gets my blood boiling. :twisted:
Gary

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

What I like about the Mini Mustang, in one easy story......

A few years ago, when practicing for a vintage enduro, I remembered that I had the MM along, with gear in it. No tuning on the shocks, no real work done on setup, just slapped together (hmmm..... I see a pattern there....). No matter, a battery was added, and it was wheeled out.

The next 5 - 10 minutes of the Mini Mustang rattling around the track, slapping down after each jump, was some of the best fun I've had in the last few years of rc. Probably wasn't the fastest, certainly wasn't the best handling, but for a meat-fisted driver like me, I could get around the track easily, and had a blast!

One day, when the planets align, I'll field a MM in a vintage race / enduro. I have the cars, I have the excellent Mr Lexan repro bodies. Just got to find the batteries, and sort a paint scheme........

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Alex,
Im pretty sure I was part of that reason in which you finaly got your Mini Mustang onto the race track. The story (as I remember it) was the weekend of 'that' enduro (you kindly put me up at yours) we were working on your other possible entries and I threw it out there and pretty much forced you to work on the MM and get it ready for a run. In the end we had this thing working and I took it out into your street (2 speed and all) and gave it a blast down the road. After years of your heckling (for me to get a PB) I finaly got to see one up and going-it was awesome!!!!
The next day we got to the track early and you busted out the MM and gave it some laps around the Knox race track. It was truly awesome for me (and you too I bet) to see this thing being wheeled around as it was the first PB I'd seen anywhere (let alone a race track) since the 1980's.
To both our suprise the car actualy worked. Sure it was tank slapping its way around the track, sure the old Cat full spike tyres were scratching around on the hard track surface but this car actualy drove reasonably well. There was no time for tuning and fine adjustments, this car was driven much the way it was slapped together and it was a real pleasure to see going.

I also remember the back end of the chassis spine snapping away (after all that tank slapping) which obviously needed more attention than we showed it at the time.

Great memories Alex. Thanks for letting me be part of it all. :mrgreen: :D
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

Mad Racer
Approved Member

Post by Mad Racer »

Ahhh the Pb Mini Mustang.

I really hated them back in the late 80's . Only because they were so quick and ultra light. Racing in mod with the 2 speed made them unbeatable . Very efficient with a single belt to add even more speed and on our track back than. ( was a huge track to as we raced 8th scale nitro as well.) In fact our club should have been named the PB club as all the 8th scales were MUSTANG XI2's . That's how they came up with Mini Mustang as it the small brother of the XI2 ( 2 speed) So they used the same design clutch 2 speed as the bigger XI2.

Anyway they are and still very fast. I have the 2 speed version. TBG will do a Mini Mustang re po when i get my butt in gear and send mine to duplicate. I hope to have a video soon transfer over to DVD of the 88 titles. 9 Mini Mustangs and one lonely Optima MID in the mod A Final . Once i do i will post it up on you tube.

The 2 speed has a huge off set between 1st & 2nd gear too. I still remember the sound as they clicked into 2nd and broke traction again.

Very nice.
Vintage . Older is Better !!!!!!! Vintage At Boondal, Australia.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/australian-racing/548133-off-road-vintage-boondal.html

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

what track was that at mark? love to see this video/dvd mate. 8) 8) love to see some more of your pb gear. :)

RedScampi
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

Mad Racer wrote:Ahhh the Pb Mini Mustang.
Very nice.
Thanks Mark, I think they're outstanding as well! 8)
Gary

uzzi
Approved Member

Post by uzzi »

Madracer is being very modest here....he kept the PB Mini Mustangs honest and did very well against them at the 88 WA State Titles.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Someone should send this seller an offer as they don't seem to have a grasp of the English language or what they're selling is: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Kyosho-Byggy-/260848899393

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

Lowgear wrote:Someone should send this seller an offer as they don't seem to have a grasp of the English language or what they're selling is: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Kyosho-Byggy-/260848899393
:shock:
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

Hey, I wouldn't say anything.... that's a nice lot, should go to a good price..... mmmmmm NIP PB parts........
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

RedScampi
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

Incredible_Serious wrote:Hey, I wouldn't say anything.... that's a nice lot, should go to a good price..... mmmmmm NIP PB parts........
Man I guess it was silly of me to imagine no-on else would spot that auction. :evil: I don't need another Mustang but I sure would like to have one or both of those bodies, not to mention the nip parts..
Gary

mogul
Approved Member

Post by mogul »

It's a pity he only posts to the U.S

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

RedScampi wrote:
Incredible_Serious wrote:Hey, I wouldn't say anything.... that's a nice lot, should go to a good price..... mmmmmm NIP PB parts........
Man I guess it was silly of me to imagine no-on else would spot that auction. :evil: I don't need another Mustang but I sure would like to have one or both of those bodies, not to mention the nip parts..
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'd venture to say that the members here make up a large percentage of who this stuff gets sold to. You can guarantee at least one of us is going to see things like that. :wink: Not that it was really hidden in any way since it has vintage in the title which is the biggest keyword you can use for these types of auctions. I merely drew attention to it hoping someone would contact the seller before bids were placed in a chance to get it cheaply. Now that you've shown interest in it I hope others who were going to bid just to bid won't out of respect for you. :)

mogul wrote:It's a pity he only posts to the U.S
There are U.S. members here that are nice enough to act as middle men. You buy it, the seller sends it to them, and then they will send it to you.

RedScampi
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

Lowgear wrote:I hope others who were going to bid just to bid won't out of respect for you.
:lol: :lol:

Thanks for the thought! We will see what happens. :D
Gary