jeeez.......................

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

SUPERDAD
Approved Member

Post by SUPERDAD »

I look at it this way. I don't have to buy it. I also believe many ebay auctions are not on the level. But I think we all saw it coming. Parts out of production. No more buying parts lots by the pound. But if someone asks an unbelieveable price and someone pays it, who is wrong? Supply and demand is how it works. Sadly, those in it for the quick buck will continue to drive up prices until they can't buy cheap enough to make it worthwhile,then leave an inflated price market for the rest of us to deal with.
"Sometimes in life, you ain't gotta like it. You just gotta do it." Quote from my own SUPERDAD. RIP 5/10/14

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

i fully agree superdad. i'm just glad i got the majority of what i have before this stuff started to skyrocket. and, i can still go to lhs's and find those hidden treasures dirt cheap. :wink:

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

The price of the gold noseplate is insane. Are gold ones more desirable than the black? I rarely see those on ebay anyway.

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

i dunno, maybe the tax returns are burnin' holes in these guys' wallets?

i'm kinda with scr8p, i got a few more rc10's to complete and i'm pretty much done. thats not to say i wont still try to search ebay and pick up something here and there, but i got more than enough to keep me entertained and have stacks of shelf queens.

its kinda sad but not really. there wont be anymore nib kits for 100 bucks, but then again if i ever wanted to sell my stuff i might actually come out ahead.

lol, i STILL aint got no damn gold tub.

Whiskers
Approved Member

Post by Whiskers »

I don't know what's up.

I only know that I'm totally ripped at Associated for letting this happen. (AND YES! I've heard the story, they were tired and wanted to quit.)

My opinion is they shouldn't have sold out to a half bit comany that was going to destroy everything they built. Nitro is where it's at, and other than that, we'll all be running Tamiya before long. NOT that there is anything wrong with Tamiya, but if you want an electric car, they have one to fit your bill. I started with Tamiya, and I think I might go back to it. At least Tower has a strong supply of them.

P.S. As somebody else said, The mad rush to buy up anything Associated has created the whole "Supply and Demand" thing.

P.S.S. I'm a Ford guy, and I would love to see GM go out of business like this Associated thing, just so I could watch Chevy guys chase their tails around to get the last good parts.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

badhoopty wrote:i'm kinda with scr8p, i got a few more rc10's to complete and i'm pretty much done. thats not to say i wont still try to search ebay and pick up something here and there, but i got more than enough to keep me entertained and have stacks of shelf queens.
ok, maybe i was a little quick in saying i'm done totally. i know i'll also buzz through ebay looking for that certain part i want for one of my builds. right now, i have 10 chassis' that are in some stage of completion, and one i haven't started at all. add those to my completed rigs (rollers), and i have PLENTY that will be sitting around. who knows, some of them might even go bye-bye.

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

Associated story

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

Whiskers wrote: I only know that I'm totally ripped at Associated for letting this happen. (AND YES! I've heard the story, they were tired and wanted to quit.)
Hi guys,

I don't know about the whole Associated thing mentioned by Whiskers above. I don't get any RC magazines or read about industry stuff (I am just into old racing parts).

Can someone tell me what has happened to Associated?

I know they moved and sold off lots of old stock a while back and now you can't buy bodies any more, I assumed they would get going again soon though.

Are they never producing the RC10 stuff again?

Cheers

Ed

shodog
Approved Member

Re: Associated story

Post by shodog »

Dr. Robotnik wrote:
Can someone tell me what has happened to Associated?

Ed
associated sold out to Thunder Tiger. whether thunder tiger carries on the golden traditions of associated remains to be seen

97T595

Post by 97T595 »

yup prices have gotten outa hand, but if yah look at anything collectable theres no way around it. do an ebay search for lionel trains, theres big money to be made on this old stuff and people want it. the box from my worlds car, brought 200 bucks i was shocked when i saw it but after dealing with lionel trains for so long youll see boxes sometimes bring more then the content that were in the box.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=007&sspagename=STRK%3AMESO%3AIT&viewitem=&item=170107496504&rd=1&rd=1

Tadracket
Approved Member

Post by Tadracket »

When I am finished with the projects I have, there will be 6 shelfers and 4 runners. Then it is back to nitro for me. Assuming helis don't consume me first. I am not into the "gotta have one of each" thing. Not that there is anything wrong with that. You guys that are, keep the history alive. Kudos.
He's an idiot. Comes from upbringing. His parents are probably idiots too.

templeofspeed
Approved Member

Post by templeofspeed »

97T595 wrote:yup prices have gotten outa hand, but if yah look at anything collectable theres no way around it. do an ebay search for lionel trains, theres big money to be made on this old stuff and people want it. the box from my worlds car, brought 200 bucks i was shocked when i saw it but after dealing with lionel trains for so long youll see boxes sometimes bring more then the content that were in the box.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=007&sspagename=STRK%3AMESO%3AIT&viewitem=&item=170107496504&rd=1&rd=1
"NO PEE IN THIS BOX." :lol: :lol: :lol:

templeofspeed
Approved Member

Post by templeofspeed »

I'm pretty well done on the buggies and trucks as far as having all the pieces parts. Now I'm working on the AE 1/12th stuff, which is still somewhat cheap. I mean $48 for two cars... :shock: and one is even a "graphite worlds car" (12LW)... :wink:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=140110370528

(I know it looks like a 12LS, but it's just had a dynamic strut front end installed)

I'm just about done with these, too. Just need a plain 12L, graphite 12L, and a plain 12LW... and the graphite chassis conversions for the 12e and 12i...

...and then maybe a Jomac Lightning...:roll:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320110397706

It really never ends, does it?

Tadracket
Approved Member

Post by Tadracket »

templeofspeed wrote: It really never ends, does it?
If it did, life would be dull :(

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

noseplate

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

RichieRich wrote:Are gold ones more desirable than the black?
The most desirable ones are the ones with extra 'Masami style speed holes' with no function drilled in. If they line up with a part, are the right size, symetrical, are centrally countersunk, or correspond with other holes on the chassis then they are poorly drilled and should be avoided. :lol:

Tadracket
Approved Member

Post by Tadracket »

Dr. Robotnik wrote:
RichieRich wrote:Are gold ones more desirable than the black?
The most desirable ones are the ones with extra 'Masami style speed holes' with no function drilled in. If they line up with a part, are the right size, symetrical, are centrally countersunk, or correspond with other holes on the chassis then they are poorly drilled and should be avoided. :lol:
Ah yes, the "Swiss Special"

I wonder if I can shoot one full of holes with my shotgun like we did our jeans in the 80s. I think I see a new fad here 8)