Report: Vintage RC10 Florida Racing

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Re: Report: Vintage RC10's racing at our indoor track

Post by tamiyadan »

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

tamiyadan wrote:Ruffy you could drive a tyco turbo hopper and beat most of the people in florida :)
I doubt that very highly, Florida has some amazing drivers and talent here, especially amongst the younger guys racing right now; like JHarris' sons for example. Two of which are sponsored by major teams as JHarris and I were back in the good ole' days, but with the eyes and reflex's of when we were young. His kids are amazing, great boys and have driving talent and a good head on their shoulders to boot. On any given day those boys run away with the show here locally and still hold some of that indoor tracks records for fastest laptimes, not to mention the other young guys we raced against that had the B4's and are no slouches either when it comes to going fast as JHarris mentioned, some of which still remember JHarris and I racing the Winterchamp races against the likes of Masami, Jay, Cliff, Gil, etc... because they were so young.
I consider that lady luck was in my corner last weekend and that this old man of 47 was just having a good day, nothing more, but I do appreciate the vote of confidence. :D Thank-you!

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

This is an awesome story! The cars pictured are freaking stunning btw :shock:

I'm still glad you pointed out that a B4 (or a B3... not sure about the B2 though :mrgreen: ) is still the faster car... like the above post mentionning that a frog won against losi's and such back in the days, and a TA02 against Pro2's, when there is that kind of truly unbelievable performance from the old skoolers, it means that it's down 1- driver and 2- choice of tires ;)

(TA02 winning in reverse??? LOL!)

Impressive feat nonetheless - always good to run better than the local hotshots with older cars no matter what, tires or no tires!!

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

JHarris
Approved Member

Post by JHarris »

Well, the middle son is hooked on the RC10 now. He plans to race it in the stock class at this weekends upcoming JConcepts supercup event and run his Kyosho RB-5 in the mod class. The oldest is just waiting for me to finish his car so he can join the party.

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

Awesome news JHarris! I am so happy he likes his tub car, and that he enjoys running it.
The big thing to take from this weekend is that we have finally started our own "vintage" RC car racing here in Central Florida and hopefully it gets big enough to turn into a class (or classes) of its' own.
Either way, we are having a good time slowly getting this going and that's what it is all about. Gettin' back to the fun aspect of RC Racing.

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

Jeep-Power
Approved Member

Re: Vintage RC10's at our indoor track-Port St. Lucie, Florida

Post by Jeep-Power »

bigjeepzz wrote:That is a great story Ruffy. I wish I lived closer because I would love to race with you guys. I am not sure I would be able to add much to the winning effort though other than slowing down the rest of the field.

Jake

Ditto on that!

thanks for a great read Jharris & Ruffy-- this is something great-- wish I was there!!!
TallPeter ~ Hopeless Gearhead
Early Goldpans 'Fun Buggy' RC10C B44.3 RC8B3.1 RC12l 10LS Pro10

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

Hey tamiyadan, you should start a thread of your own to post all those beautiful cars you have. specially like to see more of the Ultima with the Stealth trans.
Thanks for joining the forum.

This is a awesome report.
Ruffy, have you taken the B4 to the track yet? I am curious about what you think about it after a couple of batteries. I haven't run one yet but I am rebuilding one now and hope to take it to that track soon. the problem will be that I will have my Team Car and probable end up running that one more :lol:.

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

That's what happened to me. I bought a B4 Factory Team kit, but haven't even opened the box seal yet, after I got all caught up thinking about using my B3 to race, but that weekend (a month ago) I got there super late (as I ran into the building, I had to tell them what class I was going to run; that late) and had to practice during qualifing without even getting a good look at the track, needless to say it wasn't pretty trying to run a car that had been sitting that long, exactly as I had stopped racing it some 13 years ago (approx.) without any changes; and ontop of that the enormous amount of "rust" I had personally developed.
This past weekend I tried to get there when JHarris and his boys normally arrive but was still about 1.5 hrs late (2 hr drive), but had enough time to get in about 10 min of solid practice (I would have gotten more practice but the very old servo tape split on my steering servo about 3 minutes into my first run) so after cleaning and replacing the servo tape on my servo, I went right back out until they started to call for registration. I forgot to add that I am not used to charging 5000mah Lipos and then JHarris' father helped me as I had the charger on 2 amp charge so it was taking forever for me to charge it, until he told me to up it to 5 amps. I only have 1 lipo battery and this is why it took me so long to get onto the track for my practice.
Long story short, I don't know if I will build the B4 for some time as I am seriously enjoying racing one of my old '93 Worlds cars.
I feel at home with the old cars.
:D

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

Sounds good, I say keep running the '93 or build a new one so you can tune it to current tracks.
Does that track have some of those motocross jumps they have now days? Those are the only thing that scares me racing the old RC10 (the big jumps) but with some practice and tuning I bet it can handle those very well.

JHarris
Approved Member

Post by JHarris »

I have video from this past weekend but haven't converted it from the DVD format yet. In the meantime here's a video someone posted on youtube from a race about a month ago. The track layout is still the same. Pay particular attention to the large jumps on the back portion of the track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT-A_FcwdaU

Jeep-Power
Approved Member

Post by Jeep-Power »

m_vice wrote:...Does that track have some of those motocross jumps they have now days? Those are the only thing that scares me racing the old RC10 (the big jumps) but with some practice and tuning I bet it can handle those very well.

Seriously-- when I dipped back into racing my goldpan about 10 years ago- -it was a whole new ballgame. I could keep up with them, but the jumps were killing me! :lol:

It is amazing to see the cars of today, jumping like they do.
TallPeter ~ Hopeless Gearhead
Early Goldpans 'Fun Buggy' RC10C B44.3 RC8B3.1 RC12l 10LS Pro10

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

Yeah as you can see this track has some huge "supercross" style jumps in the back straight. Those things are horrendous and don't always launch the car correctly. I "puckered" everytime I had to approach them... as you will probably see when JHarris is able to upload the video. I haven't seen it yet and am looking forward to it.
:D