RC10 Sandrail Tuber scratch build

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

87fierogt
Approved Member

Re: RC10 Sandrail Tuber scratch build

Post by 87fierogt »

im sorry if i missed it but what is the tubing aluminum,steel,brass,copper? i really want to build something with a tube frame but i lost interest in it due to the time/cost/still learning how to weld. i was really wanting to do a titanium tube chassis rs4/tc3 car built around a silverado body with the bars going through the back window etc. if you wanna make some money to just put together just the frame i can make mounts/figure how to mount/run everythinmg to the frame it will prob be aluminum or alloy of some type
speed r/c taking car of all your rebuilds/restore/used and new custom builds/and anything in between pm me for quotes and`pics of previous builds

Scalemotorcars

Post by Scalemotorcars »

This is all regular steel rod that can be purchased at Home Depot of Lows. I know some guys thing its to heavy but in the end I only added 9 oz to the total weight. By incorporating as many parts into the frame I was able to keep the weight down.

As for building a frame I'm sorry but I really don't have the time right now. That and I don't have the equipment to weld titanium or alloy. :D
If I can build it, drive it, or blow it up I LOVE IT!!!

87fierogt
Approved Member

Post by 87fierogt »

hey id settle for steel ha i understand on the busy part i figured id ask i always wanted a full tube frame style nitro street car
speed r/c taking car of all your rebuilds/restore/used and new custom builds/and anything in between pm me for quotes and`pics of previous builds

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

i like steel brake line, cheap and easy, and lighter. easily available at any pepboys in 6 foot sections. make sure to get the STAINLESS tube, the coated stuff will produce poison gas when burned, stainless is uncoated and wont.

i made a tuber with a rod rail bottom and top structure for strength, and tubes for the rest and it worked out well. i think the tube joints hold up stronger too. ive been able to pull apart/break joints on rod, but ill bend and break a tube to death before the tube joint will fail.

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

Whats the difference between a rod and a tube joint?

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

with a tube joint the metal gets inside the tube also adhering it better, in my opinion.. even if properly fishtaled with a rod, i think the joint is weaker.

if it were welded i dont think there would be a strength difference, but braze i think there is

Scalemotorcars

Post by Scalemotorcars »

I totally agree.

Tube brazing is stronger. You nearly double the contact area using the tube and a good flux. The material should travel up inside the tube creating a stronger joint. In brazing rod your restricted to the outside surface and if your good the area between the two rods.

Never braze, weld or even heat up a galvanized surface. If you must weld it then completely remove all traces of the galvanizing before doing so. Even then its a great ideal to use a respirator. You don't want that stuff in your lungs, trust me its not good.

87fierogt
Approved Member

Post by 87fierogt »

god whyed ya post this !!! :twisted: now im gonna have to start what i always wanted to do. i know people are gonna say why(my pops owns half of a hydrolics/metal fab/welding place) but hes always busy. the welder they got is huge and is a bitch to move. has anyone tryed the adhesive they make for autobody where you can actually glue a 1/4 panel on?
or else jb weld? all would be smoothed out then painted or powdercoated. any one wanna see a full tube chassis nitro protouring style street car :)

Scalemotorcars

Post by Scalemotorcars »

87fierogt wrote:any one wanna see a full tube chassis nitro protouring style street car :)
Heck ya!!! Build it!!!

JB Weld, don't think its going to work and I really never tried the adhesive so I cant say how well that works either.

Why not pick yourself up a little Smith torch. $200 or less new and you can pick up the tanks at Home Depot cheap. Those little tanks they have in the tool isle should last for several tube frames.

87fierogt
Approved Member

Post by 87fierogt »

i might be able to talk my pops into lettin me use his but jb weld is pretty strong and it can be sanded and smooth. ive been wantin to do it for a few years but never really seriously thought about it untill i saw yours. if i do it i will be doing a tube frame with a bunch of carbon fiber and a 1.5hp 44000rpm fantom motor :twisted: 6mm offset wheels in the rear and 3mm in front i think it would come out pretty badass. you deff gave me insperation to get this going i wanna build it so that it tucks those wide wheels inside a 67 vette body or a cuda.

edit: if im going to do it im doing a front mounted motor i just have to figure out how to run a rear end possibley from a tc3 r. i would LOVE to do it this way but i want the frame to be built so that the hood of a chevy body off of a clod buster with a custom made cowl induction hood will clear the nitro motor. this has REALLY got me thinking although since things are tight ill do it little by little. i thought about it if i build the frame kit so that everything can be placed and welded i can prob get my pops to do the welds if i do the fab work before hand. any ideas on how to run the nitro motor in front to a rwd setup?

Scalemotorcars

Post by Scalemotorcars »

Ive never messed with a TC3 but I do have a diagram to mount a nitro motor in the stock RC10 pan. Now I realize your going tube but it could help you locate where things go. If you want a scan let me know.

I still think the JB Weld isn't going to hold. Even if you notched the tube ends its not as strong a bond as welding or brazing. Even doing a brass tube frame and soldering I would think would be stronger. But I could be totally wrong.. :mrgreen:

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

thats a damn nice tuber dude.

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

if you do have to use any plated (zinc/cadmium) material or hardware on builds like these just give the pieces a quick dip in some muriatic acid first, only takes a couple seconds (as soon as it stops bubling it's clean. muriatic acid is available in almost all hardware stores.

MAKE SURE TO USE GLOVES, AND DO IT OUTSIDE!!!

87fierogt
Approved Member

Post by 87fierogt »

id love a scan for the nitro setup because if i can take a sheet of thick carbon and cut it out to the size/shape of the flat bottom of an r/c and build a tube chassis around that id be totally happy with the way it would work because i want to do rwd but super nasty. how does the clutch bell get power to the trans?

87fierogt
Approved Member

Post by 87fierogt »

hey dan whee did you pick up the tubing along with what size? my pops agreed if i get it all ready to go he'll weld it up for me. im thinking of aluminum(they can weld any metal ya throw at em) but im wondering if itll be strong enough? im thinking of taking a sheet of carbon fiber and trace the rc10gt chassis and building that as a floor on the cage(its hard to explain but it should work) then ill take a clod body or a 1/8th 32 ford revell body and useing that for a protouring style car. id LOVE your feedback im really impressed with this build