Intriguing ad in RC Car Action - RC10 re-release?

Everything pertaining to the RC10 buggy re-releases.
Classic, Classic Clear, World's, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

longboardnj
Approved Member

Re: Intriguing ad in RC Car Action - RC10 re-release?

Post by longboardnj »

Charlie don't surf wrote:If Ford remade the 64' Mustang, would you expect 64' price?
man i always like talking to you but we seem to strongly disagree on this subject.. do you do something for a living that has something to do with inflation? you are someone i like so i just want you to know i say this stuff to talk/debate not to fight.. dont you see my view at all? i dont have alot of $$ so i dont like to see ae try to take it all(my old job got shut down now i took a job for much less) .. if you want to talk older cars you can get the thunder tiger/ae b3 full ball bearing brushless 2.4 rtr for $200 . for $250 you get a 6 gear with nothing not even bearings, then to do a full chassis its over $120..looks like they are jumping on the tamiya train.. as i said this new rere rc10 and parts is great but i think they are trying to take advantage of us ..dont you think its a little ironic that the $35 chassis that sells on ebay all the time for $80+ is now $89 and the $9 front end piece that sells on ebay all the time for $30+ is now $30..

THUNDERSTRIKE1
Approved Member

Post by THUNDERSTRIKE1 »

Farming out parts to be mass produced is costly in the US everyones tryn get rich lol.The American way of life.Wonder how many people are gonna buy 100,000 bucks worth of parts and sit on them for 20 years hopen make a million back lol don

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

Without parts profits there would be no expansion, r&d, new products...just a dying company. Inflation is no bs in this industry. AE doesn't make near the money with these re-re as some of you may think. They, along with every other manufacturer, make the money in the OE replacement parts. Its always been that way and always will be. Without support from parts sales these companys die and fade away. The lhs sells rtr/kits for approx. $25 over their price...they make 40% off the parts they sell. I'm sure that the companys do pretty much the same to the distributors.

If you don't like the price of a new chassis you can always go ahead and buy the kit and part out the rest you don't want to get your chassis for free...but then you'd be doing the same thing as everyone else :wink:

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

flipwils11
Approved Member

Post by flipwils11 »

longboardnj wrote:
Charlie don't surf wrote:If Ford remade the 64' Mustang, would you expect 64' price?
man i always like talking to you but we seem to strongly disagree on this subject.. do you do something for a living that has something to do with inflation? you are someone i like so i just want you to know i say this stuff to talk/debate not to fight.. dont you see my view at all? i dont have alot of $$ so i dont like to see ae try to take it all(my old job got shut down now i took a job for much less) .. if you want to talk older cars you can get the thunder tiger/ae b3 full ball bearing brushless 2.4 rtr for $200 . for $250 you get a 6 gear with nothing not even bearings, then to do a full chassis its over $120..looks like they are jumping on the tamiya train.. as i said this new rere rc10 and parts is great but i think they are trying to take advantage of us ..dont you think its a little ironic that the $35 chassis that sells on ebay all the time for $80+ is now $89 and the $9 front end piece that sells on ebay all the time for $30+ is now $30..
Not sure how to say this in a way that won't be blunt but here goes: please go take an economics class, particularly supply and demand. After that follow it up with micro and macro economics.

Complaining about how market pricing works only shows ingnorance of economics, not well reasoned argument.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

longboardnj wrote:
Not arguing at all, but your last sentence really sums up the idea I've been talking about. That's simple economics, that's not AE doing anything nefarious to the vintage community; inflation isn't an issue of greed or fairness, its just economics. Dollars don't stagnante, they fluctuate all the time, and I'm not being insulting to you but you cannot expect 1984 prices 30 years later. The price(s) reflect the fact that they won't sell 1,000,000 cars like they did before, and that means to expect a return on their investment, they will price accordingly.

Yes, I have worked in finance in my mid 20's, and have also been a business manager for two small corporations employing 45+ employees, I have also been self-employed for the past seven years and had 15 full time employees before 2009.

It's fine if you don't agree, or just think its too expensive....and like I said, I didn't order one, two or twelve. I have enough RC10's. But I do want to see this project to succeed and to see future offerings like this from an American built company (yes, I know TT owns it) and see others get the joy from reliving their youth like the rest of us!

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

Charlie don't surf wrote:
longboardnj wrote:
Not arguing at all, but your last sentence really sums up the idea I've been talking about. That's simple economics, that's not AE doing anything nefarious to the vintage community; inflation isn't an issue of greed or fairness, its just economics. Dollars don't stagnante, they fluctuate all the time, and I'm not being insulting to you but you cannot expect 1984 prices 30 years later. The price(s) reflect the fact that they won't sell 1,000,000 cars like they did before, and that means to expect a return on their investment, they will price accordingly.

Yes, I have worked in finance in my mid 20's, and have also been a business manager for two small corporations employing 45+ employees, I have also been self-employed for the past seven years and had 15 full time employees before 2009.

It's fine if you don't agree, or just think its too expensive....and like I said, I didn't order one, two or twelve. I have enough RC10's. But I do want to see this project to succeed and to see future offerings like this from an American built company (yes, I know TT owns it) and see others get the joy from reliving their youth like the rest of us!
great answers .. i was an assistant manager before (much smaller scale then you)and have used the inflation excuse to have up to a 70% mark up on some items so thats what i think is going on.. i agree with your idea of "The price(s) reflect the fact that they won't sell 1,000,000 cars like they did before, and that means to expect a return on their investment, they will price accordingly. " but i feel like this is only true if this is a limited production ..
I have enough RC10's. But I do want to see this project to succeed and to see future offerings like this from an American built company (yes, I know TT owns it) and see others get the joy from reliving their youth like the rest of us!
i feel the same way its just i was so happy to get new chassis and nose plate when i saw the price i was very upset then i felt like people were saying its ok to have such a high price i got even more upset.. as i said great answers and thanks for letting me vent..

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

you did excellent work on the manual and pictures steve. the manual is nearly identical to building your rc10 like the original manual. very nice.

how about making a huge poster of the box art rc10? would look killer on anyone's wall steve! that would be the cherry on top.

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

flipwils11 wrote:
longboardnj wrote:
Not sure how to say this in a way that won't be blunt but here goes: please go take an economics class, particularly supply and demand. After that follow it up with micro and macro economics.

Complaining about how market pricing works only shows ingnorance of economics, not well reasoned argument.
im a little surprised that someone like yourself thats been on this site almost as long as me would make a statement like that. someone makes a comment that you dont agree with you say take a class. this is why i quoted Charlie don't surf cause i know hes a educated person that i can have a debate with .. i thought you were better then that oh well how much do you really know someone online.. the irony is your statement is ignorant and shows ignorance of economics.. how can i explain this to you,economics does not work one way. the best way for you to understand is look up how trader joes food stores is so successful. tamiya frog chassis sold on ebay for $40+ before the rere. now i think you can get a chassis for like $10 . tamiya didnt jack the price to $49 thats my beef with all this . but i bet you would be ok with that cause of supply and demand..

Not sure how to say this in a way that won't be blunt but here goes: please go take a spelling class. its very ignorant to misspell ignorance when your trying to bust on someone..
hope i didnt piss you off too much i try to just give respect but i feel like your pushing my buttons so i push back....

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

klavy69 wrote:Without parts profits there would be no expansion, r&d, new products...just a dying company. Inflation is no bs in this industry. AE doesn't make near the money with these re-re as some of you may think. They, along with every other manufacturer, make the money in the OE replacement parts. Its always been that way and always will be. Without support from parts sales these companys die and fade away. The lhs sells rtr/kits for approx. $25 over their price...they make 40% off the parts they sell. I'm sure that the companys do pretty much the same to the distributors.

If you don't like the price of a new chassis you can always go ahead and buy the kit and part out the rest you don't want to get your chassis for free...but then you'd be doing the same thing as everyone else :wink:

Todd
yea i think i may buy a new from kit nose plate and chassis if the price is right on a ebay .. i understand how things work as far as inflation but come on $30 for a nose plate. only one other person thinks thats a bit crazy? they sell the b3 nose plate for $3.50 http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBFKV&P=Z

LTO_Dave
Approved Member

Post by LTO_Dave »

I can agree with longboard on this one.

Using the logic of inflation, the new kit should cost $450-675 since the original 6010 kit was $225. Even given that the MSRP is $400, the re-re should still cost more than what it does. But since the price of some of the other parts skyrocketed, why did the kit price only jump that much since 1984? Answer me that. :wink:

It's funny that my paycheck hasn't been increased by this so-called inflation everyone's talking about. :mrgreen:

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

LTO_Dave wrote:I can agree with longboard on this one.

Using the logic of inflation, the new kit should cost $450-675 since the original 6010 kit was $225. But since the price of all the other parts skyrocketed, why did the kit price only jump $25 since 1984? Answer me that. :wink:

It's funny that my paycheck hasn't been increased by this so-called inflation everyone's talking about. :mrgreen:
i hear you on the pay check ... Using the logic of inflation would someone like to buy a b4 rtr for $1000 from me.. i understand what some people are saying but its a toy that is being produced not a rare part on ebay thats discontinued

Percymon
Approved Member

Post by Percymon »

I think (but I don't know) that if you looked at the original RC10 prices bitd you'd probably pay 40-50% the price of a kit for the chassis and nose plate pieces. So, for example, if the kit was $120 then the replacement chassis tub was probably $30-35 and the noseplate $9-12

Also factor in that the $250 kit price is already what we are seeing for pre-orders at the largest retailers with huge on-line presence. The parts prices to date are RRP.

If the parts are retailed at 20% less then RRP , then the relative price of the chassis to the kit remains largely what it was bitd.

Frustrating perhaps, but as already discussed your new Ford or GM car/truck is quite probably over twice the price an equivalent model was back in 1988.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

gotta love web forum economics classes :mrgreen:

net - AE's (or shall I say, TT, but I suspect this is an old-school driven project by Cliff and the vintage-knowledgeable boys) call. If they want to price it $500 and it sells, good for them - it probably would have. If they want to price it $250 and it sells, better for us. They're here to make a living, they aren't an NGO, and even at the price they sell here I don't think they're making that much cash.

Now if someone can find me an original A-stamp chassis in NIB condition and readily available (read- no barn or bargain bin find) for less than $100, I'll buy...

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

longboardnj wrote:
LTO_Dave wrote:I can agree with longboard on this one.

Using the logic of inflation, the new kit should cost $450-675 since the original 6010 kit was $225. But since the price of all the other parts skyrocketed, why did the kit price only jump $25 since 1984? Answer me that. :wink:

i hear you on the pay check ... Using the logic of inflation would someone like to buy a b4 rtr for $1000 from me.. i understand what some people are saying but its a toy that is being produced not a rare part on ebay thats discontinued
The street price of the bare bones 6010 with bushings was $129 @ tower in 84'- retail was $225. ($129)(3%x30 years) = $258
Federal minimum wage in 1984 was $3.25 (3%x30 years) = $6.20 and currently FMW is $7.25....and goes to $8.00 in 6 days for large employers

Again, not arguing. I can be empathetic to not being willing to spend your money on the stuff for various reasons (economic, principles,etc) but those dollar amounts are in line with economic trends. And others may want to understand my perspective as well.

Following the suspicion trend of AE ram-rodding the happless vintage market, why aren't the white full hex ball cups $40 like they sell for on eBay? Because they are adjusted for 30 year inflation, or because AE forgot?

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

I have to throw in a couple comments.

One-yes, I agree the price of the parts as listed is high. people will pay it, and also, it's MSRP, so it may very well be lower when it hits distributors.

Two-they will either make a a good profit on the chassis as it's priced, or eventually they will have a fire sale to get rid of inventory that is sitting in the warehouse. I would bet that the process to stamp the chassis has been refined and cost reduced so that there is a good profit margin, which again, good for those guys if they can sell at those prices. I'm sure material costs have increased as well.

If street price does stay at that number, I will be a little disappointed because I know I won't pay that price. But I have too much junk already anyway. But that's the type of person I am. I know my capabilities and how manufacturing works and could give you a rough cost to make something like that, which is why I do 99% of my own auto repairs, build my own parts, etc.