The BMX (and other bikes) thread

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Re: The BMX (and other bikes) thread

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

I was way into Freestyle bikes even though I sucked at the actual freestyle part. I had a Cyclepro Jammer. Paid out the nose for it and then fell in love with a Haro. Live and learn. There are some sweet bikes in here. I kept mine forever. After I had been moved out for a while I was at my parent's looking for it when my dad said "Oh, you mean your bike? I gave it away." Gave it away!!?? I went out and got a Diamond Back to soothe the pain. I then gave that to my nephew. The nostalgia factor just wasn't there. Now I can't even find any pics on line of the ol' Cyclepro Jammer. Bummer
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB, I think a lot of us have stories similar to that, lol. Luckily my parent's did give my Dyno away, but rather I sold it to buy a mountain bike when they became popular.

Here it is. My Holy Grail in my kitchen. Now comes months of scouring the internet for all the right parts. This is gonna be a fun winter. :D
Attachments
DSCN4276.JPG

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

This was posted on another r/c site that I check out and I thought of you BMX guys:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqjaiKr1mnQ&feature=related

I think the fact that I had A Fly Girl by Boogie Boys on vinyl made the clip for me.... :D
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

fastang
Approved Member

Post by fastang »

Toaster wrote:Love the thread, just recently came across it all the pictures of the old school bikes are bringing up great memories of the crazy ramps and dirt pit jumps we use to make lol (the restoration MA is amazing, going to have to pick your brain about it later).

Always wanted a Kuwahara from the early 80's and have just recently started looking. They are going for a mint on ebay and one was just snapped up on craigslist for $150, I just wish it was me.

In my stumblings I came across the following listed as a Raleigh vintage bmx but it doesn't seem quite right (I didn't even know they made them back in the day), does anybody by chance know what this might be?

I'm pretty sure that is a Skyway. I'm not sure of the model but my friend had one just like that BITD.

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

What brand and types of seats are you guys using on your mountain bikes, touring bikes, and hybrids? My poor scrawny sensibilities can't handle these hard itty-bitty triangular seats that ride up the crack. I end up perching my pointy butt on the widest part of the seat and still am not comfortable.

I was looking at a Bontraeger seat today that didn't look too bad.
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

halgar, i didn't think you liked having a seat on your bike. :P :P :lol:

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course, sometimes a guy just wants a little variety. :lol:

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

My ride for tagging along with the kids-- never a sore tuchis. ;)
http://www.electrabike.com/04/bikes/06bikes/classic/06_cls_05.html

Sorry- not a BMX. When I was a kid we took our Schwinn banana seat bikes and put 10-speed seats and knobby tires and called them BMX. I guess I'm getting old.
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

civilguy wrote:My ride for tagging along with the kids-- never a sore tuchis. ;)
http://www.electrabike.com/04/bikes/06bikes/classic/06_cls_05.html

Sorry- not a BMX. When I was a kid we took our Schwinn banana seat bikes and put 10-speed seats and knobby tires and called them BMX. I guess I'm getting old.
I don't ride a cruiser, I have a hybrid (mountain/road cross ) which has what I guess would be considered a "sport" seat on it which is too narrow and too hard. The rider position is similar to that of the cruiser - more upright. The seat you have seems similar to the Bontreager I looked at today.

The Huffy of my youth had a fairly wide seat that was about half the length of a banana seat, it also didn't have the flair or kicked up tail. I probably put a thousand miles on that darned thing in the years I had it. Living in the country, I rode a bike everywhere and my closest friend was a mile away, my best friend was two miles away. From there we'd do 10 and 20 mile rides for something to do. That's a lot of miles on gravel roads and single speed bikes! LOL

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Halgar, there is only one seat I use on my non-BMX bikes. A Brooks B17. Actually, I use the B17 champion special because I like the brass rivets, but it's the same as the standard B17. These seats are pricey. They are also like a good pair of boots. They're going to be uncomfortable until you break them in. That is gonna be about 2 months of regular riding. They will eventually form to your butt bones. But, (or butt :lol: ) when they are broken in, they are the most comfortable saddles you can find. I don't recommend the B17 narrow as much though, get a standard or a champion special, they're wider and more comfy.
Attachments
B17_Special-Black.jpg

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

Mel - Ooof! :shock: That looks quite hazardous to the boys! :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

I'm quite certain I need a wider saddle, though looking at "road" bikes and "hybrid" bikes, as the "standard" I might need an extra wide model! LOL The really funny part of that comment is that I'm a 6' 160 pound guy, so it ain't like I need a super size saddle to fit my booty. My main problem is a boney butt, and the typical saddle fits quite nicely where the sun don't shine. I guess you could say that I have a big ischial tuberosity! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Performance has come out with an E3 saddle that looks interesting.
http://www.performancebike.com/E3saddle.cfm
I'm looking at the different ergonomic saddles and am trying to figure out what will be the best, safest, most comfortable saddle that ain't going to cripple the twig and berries. According to preliminary research, those at risk of E.D. issues due to a bike saddle are in the minority - a minority that I'm pretty sure I'm part of, and if I have to choose between bikes and the ladies, sorry, the ladies are gonna win! (though they may not feel that way :lol: :lol: )

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

It's fairly wide, 6-1/2" wide to be exact. They have wider models, like the B67, B68, B73, etc. I'm 5'11", 155lbs. Never had a problem with the B17 putting the hurt on the jewels though, and I ride my bike to work 8 miles each way every day. Well, not now that it's below 40 degrees, but when the weather is above 45 I do. The seat looks a lot thougher than it actually is. It's just a suspended piece of leather.

I will say there are only two brands in the whole wide world that I am fiercely loyal to. One is Redwing boots, the second is Brooks saddles. And for the same reason. They are the best product on the market, bar none. But, neither product is for everybody. If you are a flip flop kind of guy (not that there is anything wrong with that :wink: ) Redwing boots probably aren't going to be good for you. Not everybody is going to like a Brooks saddle either. And, I'm not about to push the hard sale because I know. I'd hate to have someone spend a lot of money on something that in the end they don't like, or is not what they were looking for.

I haven't heard of the seats in that link. I thought it was strange to have so much on genital oxygen levels though. :lol: I'd think there are tons of cushy hybrid seats out there to be found. I know I went through several seats before I found the one I liked.

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

MelvinsArmy wrote: I ride my bike to work 8 miles each way every day.
Aw geez, here we go ... I suppose you're gonna tell us that it's uphill both ways and in the snow to boot! :wink: :P :lol:
MelvinsArmy wrote:I'm not about to push the hard sale because I know. I'd hate to have someone spend a lot of money on something that in the end they don't like, or is not what they were looking for.
And I greatly appreciate that, which is why I asked here. One thing I can't stand is to spend one penny on something, anything, that is less that what I need - regardless of the review, popularity, or how great someone thinks it is. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking your praise of the aforementioned saddle, I'm agree with not forcing an opinion on someone else, nor wanting them to buy something just because I say it's the greatest. That being said, you really should check into those E3's ... :wink: :P :lol:
MelvinsArmy wrote:I haven't heard of the seats in that link. I thought it was strange to have so much on genital oxygen levels though. :lol: I'd think there are tons of cushy hybrid seats out there to be found. I know I went through several seats before I found the one I liked.
Personally, I just let Mr. Happy and the twins hang out the front of my shorts and they get plenty of air! :mrgreen: I've heard quite a bit about E.D. related problems with heavy cycling, though until today when I started looking for new saddles, I really hadn't read any of the details. As I said before, I suspect I fall into the "minority" category just from my discomfort with most seats I've been on. Using a bit of common sense, it only stands to reason that you really need to use your "sitting bones", not your boner, when riding a bike. I'm a casual rider, so comfort is a big part of the enjoyment, aside from the scenery and excersize. I'll look into the saddle you like because I'm interested in all options. While I'm open to most things, I think I've ruled out the "hornless" style saddle. There's a certain amount of stability and control that comes from that portion of the saddle, but stability and control are one thing, shoving the twig and berries into the back of your ... lower torso ... is another. :mrgreen:

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

brooks seat is one of the coolest lookin and best made bike seats(good comparison to redwing boots i used to buy the ones with rubber insoles .. great boot)...i had a brooks seat on my vintage 3 speed raleigh but it was old and very dry rotted im 6ft 220 lbs and it ripped in half (but what do u expect form like 30+ year old leather not taken care of..plus im heavy) i think the best bang for the buck is the gel seat like this pic ...plus heres pics of the kind of raleigh i have plus a pic of the 84 diamondback formula one i had that was stolen .. pics not my actual bikes..
Attachments
gggggggggggggg.jpg
gggggggggggggg.jpg (10.98 KiB) Viewed 1146 times
gggggggggggggg.jpg
gggggggggggggg.jpg (10.98 KiB) Viewed 1146 times
picture__mms_010_lg.jpg
oooooooo.jpg

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

MelvinsArmy wrote:THEYTOOKMYTHUMB, I think a lot of us have stories similar to that, lol. Luckily my parent's did give my Dyno away, but rather I sold it to buy a mountain bike when they became popular.

Here it is. My Holy Grail in my kitchen. Now comes months of scouring the internet for all the right parts. This is gonna be a fun winter. :D
Hey Mel, Any updates on this sweet piece?? I've waited patiently... :mrgreen:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken