Intriguing ad in RC Car Action - RC10 re-release?

Everything pertaining to the RC10 buggy re-releases.
Classic, Classic Clear, World's, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Dirtdiver
Approved Member

Re: Intriguing ad in RC Car Action - RC10 re-release?

Post by Dirtdiver »

Speaking of motors, do you think they will include a brushed motor with the kit?

R/Cat
Approved Member

Post by R/Cat »

ca-rj wrote:I just purchased a brand new (in package) Trinity P2K Pro 27T motor for my car. Once the car arrives it will get paired with a Tekin G11 ESC. Buying electronics months before the car arrives is killing me.

I'm probably going with a brushed set-up in mine using stuff I already have to keep costs down which means a Novak T4 ESC (donated from my Astute) and either an old Speedworks 350 2WD motor or more likely an old but unused Trinity Kinwald "The Dirtinator" 10T triple that's looking for something worthy to motivate. That should give it some good vintage get-up-and-go.

R/Cat
Approved Member

Post by R/Cat »

Dirtdiver wrote:Speaking of motors, do you think they will include a brushed motor with the kit?
Good question. The re-re kit will be my first one from AE so I'm interested to know whether they include a motor or not.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

It was discussed before- no motor, no msc
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

ca-rj
Approved Member

Post by ca-rj »

I decided that I really wanted to run a brushed setup in this and since the kit motor was a 27T back in the day, I wanted to run another one. The P2K was one of the hottest stock motors of its day and being able to find a brand new "Pro" version for a reasonable price sealed the deal. The Tekin G11 ESC is relatively inexpensive at $62. For the price I'm paying for these two, you can get a "cheap" brushless setup, while I'll have excellent quality brushed electronics. I'm sure it will provide plenty of scoot for the occasional track day and running in front of the house or at the park.
Lonestar wrote:
ca-rj wrote:I just purchased a brand new (in package) Trinity P2K Pro 27T motor for my car. will get paired with a Tekin G11 ESC.
If I may ask... why this choice?
RC10 Short Arm | Novak Tempest ESC | Tamiya Torque Tuned 25T | Savox 1258 | Stealth Trans w/ Exotek Slipper Eliminator (geared 24/81)
RC10B3 | HW Just Stock Club Spec | Reedy 13.5 | Savox 1258

R/Cat
Approved Member

Post by R/Cat »

gomachv wrote:It was discussed before- no motor, no msc
Must've missed it, thanks.

R/Cat
Approved Member

Re: Intriguing ad in RC Car Action

Post by R/Cat »

[quote="MelvinsArmy

This hobby is what you make of it. I have yet to grow tired of tinkering with and tweaking my Clodbusters.[/quote]

Couldn't agree more. I still love to assemble, run and tinker with all my models just the way I did back in the '80's. I emphasize assemble because that's half the fun for me so you'll never see a RTR kit in my collection. :)

R/Cat
Approved Member

Post by R/Cat »

Coelacanth wrote:
marlo wrote:
85Edinger wrote:"I don't have that in stock, but I can order it for you."
Thanks, so can I.
True, no need now to order anything from your LHS, but at mine at least I don't have to pay for shipping, but instead need to wait on the " next Tuesday order" that's fine.
Yep that's the only advantage of your LHS ordering it for you--if the price on the item(s) itself is right, then let them eat the shipping cost. :)
Yep, but nowadays it's rare for a store-front hobby shop to be able to compete with online private sellers/r/c stores in terms of pricing nevermind the ridiculous convenience of pointing and clicking your way through the internet for any r/c part around the world to have it show up on your front door a week later...no brainer, IMHO. I'd pay more for that convenience alone and rarely visit my LHS anymore.

R/Cat
Approved Member

Post by R/Cat »

justinspeed79 wrote:I blame the manufacturers for the fact that nobody stocks parts anymore. A small shop just can't justify, or afford, thousands in replacement parts when they know darn well that most of them will never get sold. The manufacturers should have a supportsystem for the hobby shops where they will buy back old stock or exchange it for new stock as new models come out.

Exactly. The owner of my LHS (whom I've known for 25+ years) was surprisingly very candid with me a while back and revealed that the manufacturers set minimum order requirements for Hobby Shops or they won't sell them parts at all. He said it's not worth ordering a large number of the same part for a customer who needs just one because he'd end up losing money on the vast majority of the remaining parts that don't sell. Therefore, he doesn't order any and loses out on selling that one part to somebody which in turn (IMHO) discourages the customer from attempting to order a part through a hobby shop in the future (I know it does for me). That's when the customer goes online and gets any and every part they need at the click of a mouse which further contributes to the decline of the LHS. Manufacturers should either have an exchange program or not set minimum requirements for small LHS...leave that for the huge warehouse hobby stores like Tower.

R/Cat
Approved Member

Post by R/Cat »

Wandy wrote:
terry.sc wrote:
wydraz wrote:Just met the man himself Roger Curtis. He signed 2 cards for me....says he has no idea why the buggy is so popular and he wouldn't have rereleased it!
So for all the talk in this thread earlier about Chinese companies, if Associated was still US owned we wouldn't have had the rerelease. :lol:
I think this is very, very true. While all of the speculation has been going on over the last month I did a bit of reading up about Thunder Tiger and it seems they are looking to become a big player with the likes of Tamiya & Kyosho in their sights. I am sure they will have watched Tamiya's re-releases doing well and thought they could gain some serious rep by doing something similar with their "own" classic. I'm sure that this project has been driven heavily by TT and without their funding this would never have got off the ground, but ultimately it is Tamiya's groundwork in opening up a new niche that has allowed this amazing re-release to happen.

I wonder what Kyosho make of it all?

Good point...I don't think TT will ever reach Tamiya's level on re-re's or anything else but they've come a few small steps closer with the RC10 classic. Subsequent reading has informed me that with the purchase of AE (and perhaps the re-release of the gold pan), TT hopes to become the 4th largest r/c manufacturer in the world behind Tamiya (#1), Kyosho (#2) and Futaba (#3).

joeman37
Approved Member

Post by joeman37 »

R/Cat wrote: Couldn't agree more. I still love to assemble, run and tinker with all my models just the way I did back in the '80's. I emphasize assemble because that's half the fun for me so you'll never see a RTR kit in my collection. :)
When I got back into the hobby a couple of years ago I was shocked and dismayed that 90% of the cars/trucks available today are RTR. I always loved putting the kits together, so much so that I have built numerous kits that never even got electronics just for the joy of building them. It is sad that today's generation entering the hobby are likely starting with an RTR without much option for a kit. If Traxxas offered some stuff as a kit version of the RTR complete with electronics I would gladly buy more of their stuff. Too much instant gratification in today's world.

For me the kit made it easier to do repairs because you were intimately familiar with your car or truck. Oh well, that is another big reason why I will get a re-re. It's also a reason why I like some of the Tamiya re-releases as well.

-Joe

CBR240
Approved Member

Post by CBR240 »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

joeman37- I "couldn't agree more" with you guys also. When my youngest wanted a RTR RC10B4,1, and me to help pay for it; I told both boys if they would assemble a kit, I would buy it. I got him a RC10B4.2 kit, and he did an excellent job assembling it. He now helps his friends fix their RC cars/trucks. And then my older son decided he wanted a SC10. Same deal, he is assembling it now, and learning so much. And both had much more fun building than they thought they would. And they "mistakenly learned a lot in the process". :D

I noticed inside the front cover of Radio Control Car Action (my boys like it), there is a 2 full page advertisement (the old one with Jay and the trophy girl, ...) it says "Factory and aftermarket spares readily available". Is that just text from the original ad or a promise about the rere? I'm really hoping for parts such as stealth outdrives and white ball cups.

R/Cat
Approved Member

Post by R/Cat »

joeman37 wrote:
R/Cat wrote: Couldn't agree more. I still love to assemble, run and tinker with all my models just the way I did back in the '80's. I emphasize assemble because that's half the fun for me so you'll never see a RTR kit in my collection. :)
When I got back into the hobby a couple of years ago I was shocked and dismayed that 90% of the cars/trucks available today are RTR. I always loved putting the kits together, so much so that I have built numerous kits that never even got electronics just for the joy of building them. It is sad that today's generation entering the hobby are likely starting with an RTR without much option for a kit. If Traxxas offered some stuff as a kit version of the RTR complete with electronics I would gladly buy more of their stuff. Too much instant gratification in today's world.

For me the kit made it easier to do repairs because you were intimately familiar with your car or truck. Oh well, that is another big reason why I will get a re-re. It's also a reason why I like some of the Tamiya re-releases as well.

-Joe

Absolutely. The instant gratification provided by RTR's is surely discouraging the younger generation from taking the time to assemble their own kits (their loss..they don't know what they're missing but a shame nevertheless) but at least it's bringing them into the hobby so hopefully that can develop a desire to want to build a kit in the future.

I can't even imagine the idea of running a RTR...it would be very strange for me. I always felt like I was short-changing myself if I didn't get to enjoy the process of assembly as much as running the car itself. I also always took pride in knowing that, because I assembled it myself, I was intimately familiar with it's inner workings and could therefore diagnose and fix any problem that came up no matter what. There's something tremendously satisfying about that to this day.

R/Cat
Approved Member

Post by R/Cat »

CBR240 wrote:^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

joeman37- I "couldn't agree more" with you guys also. When my youngest wanted a RTR RC10B4,1, and me to help pay for it; I told both boys if they would assemble a kit, I would buy it. I got him a RC10B4.2 kit, and he did an excellent job assembling it. He now helps his friends fix their RC cars/trucks. And then my older son decided he wanted a SC10. Same deal, he is assembling it now, and learning so much. And both had much more fun building than they thought they would. And they "mistakenly learned a lot in the process". :D

I noticed inside the front cover of Radio Control Car Action (my boys like it), there is a 2 full page advertisement (the old one with Jay and the trophy girl, ...) it says "Factory and aftermarket spares readily available". Is that just text from the original ad or a promise about the rere? I'm really hoping for parts such as stealth outdrives and white ball cups.
You've definitely done them a service by requiring that they assemble the cars they run....they'll appreciate them a lot more and acquire/hone skills they'll use for a lifetime in all aspects of life as most of us older enthusiasts know. My first car (a Hornet) and second car (a LB) were built by my LHS back in the 80's but after that I was determined to learn to do it myself so I didn't have to pay $30 for assembly. Like your son, I ended up fixing some of the neighborhood kid's cars as a teenager.

Not sure but from this thread it sounds like their will be good factory support with replacement parts.

SnoopMaxx
Approved Member

Post by SnoopMaxx »

I've heard of Traxxas Monster Jam RTR's thrown in the bin because they didn't know they could get spare parts
Morten Max