93 WCS poss ran at 93 Worlds UK? Magazine Feature!! :-D

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Re: My first Yokomo - a YZ-10, 93 WCS poss ran at 93 Worlds

Post by DerbyDan »

Charlie don't surf wrote:
R-NO wrote: Reggie had found a pretty close color match using a combination of Rit Fushia and Tangerine Orange but never posted the exact ratio in the rctech forum :(
I am sorry Dan and R-N0, I had run like 15-20 different ratio's that day to "dial in" the color, and had all the test rims and parts in a ziploc bag with that ratio and dye time written on the parts- but I can only find the "wrong" parts bag, not the correct one :x I remember it was something close to ( Imperial ) 2 quarts water, 1/8 tsp of fushia and a pinch of the tangerine. Very very light color to the dye bath was the key as all the other amounts of dye in the water produced a very very very bold color on the rims. And it was a very quick soak at light boil, like 30 sec- any more and they 8 spokes came out too dark- I am still looking for the bag with the "right" test parts though!
No probs Reggie - your description is a good starting point..... I can understand why the mix is so light... I was following a guide published in RC Car Action & used probably half of what they recomended in terms of the quantity of dye powder for those wheels shown in my photo & yet the colouring was almost instant! As you say 30sec was long enough but my wheels were probably in for about a minute :|

If you do find the bag with the best ratio mix parts in please let us know! :)

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

GJW wrote:the rebuild is a credit to you dan, much respect mate! to see this original very nicely restored is just superb 8) 8) 8)
Thanks Gary, theres still a fair few bits to complete before I would say that its finished... in fact because of the rarity of some of the parts I need to finish it off i'm guessing it would be a continuing for quite some time/forever! :)
GJW wrote:mate what part number's did ya use??

pullies f/r
belt's
outdrive's
I'm afraid I don't know the part No.s for these parts as they were all re-used from the original car (I think I sent you an email at one point with the number of teeth on the pulleys?)

One thing I do know is that the main belt seems to be unique..... & quite a bit longer than the one you sent to me (510mm). As previously described the belt that came with my car appeared to have been made up - its been cut down to get the correct width & seems thicker than a Yokomo Belt... this would tally being that the car should have come with M2 belts so in order to convert to M3 pulleys (like many/most racers would have) a special belt would have been needed - the one that has been re-fitted into my car is 578mm & is branded 'Gates' Powergrip who I believe supplied Schumacher with their belts.

The intention with my car was to use as few new parts as possible to keep the identitiy of what I feel is quite a unique car. Theres the odd new screw/nut & ball end here & there but the main new parts include the top deck, chassis, wheels & tyres, the Yokomo spoiler & eventually a new painted shell & undertray :)

@ R-No - thanks for the advice on my wing/spoiler - I have a yellow one on my World RC10 runner (see my Avatar pic) which i've had since the early 90s its still very much Yellow but has lost its vibrancy despite being hidden in a box for the past 15 or so years - I will be carefull with the orange one on my WCS :wink: I sure paid enough for it..... I see in the ebay section someone paid like a 1/4 of what I paid, for like 4-5 wings of the same type (just in AE packaging) in different colours including orange :roll:

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Bulkhead Cap

Post by DerbyDan »

So this is one of the parts I would love to replace on this car - its the rear bulkhead cap, the part on my car although servicable has stress crack marks through it (not really picked up by the camera) I think caused by a miss-spacing of the rear tower bracket with the hole in the tower itself (I've had to add washers beneath this now to get it to reach properly) constantly wanting to pull the cap upwards. The holes that have been made to pick up the tie rod fixings are also rather ropey looking.

This is the part along with the layshaft cover... both these parts spent a good couple of weeks in the peroxide bath, but are still rather yellow;

To help support the cap & better locate the tie rod & tower fixing bracket I made up (well Fibrelyte made it to my drawing) this G10 plate to sit snugly inside, it is clearanced to miss the diff pulley & uses the fixings to secure it in position.

The finished assembly;

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Some small updates...

I got another set of wheels from Kenooze (thanks :) ) to have a 2nd chance at dying them pink.. I also brought some rose pink Rit dye, which is lighter than 'Fucsia'. I did quite a few test runs on some old/spare wheels & ended up with a fairly close match that I was happy with;

Image (could have done with a touch of orange maybe?)

So I went ahead & dyed my new Yokomo wheels, due to the size of my saucepan I was dying the wheels in pairs... my first pair went well & came out just as per the test B3 wheels, but I needed to make a new mix for the 2nd pair & for some reason despite being very careful with my quantites (I was adding just a dash of Fuscia with the mix) The rear wheels 'turned' much quicker & came out slightly darker than the fronts i'd just done... so I had to chuck them in for a short while so they match... the results though I say are ok, especially with the red wheel dots added :wink:

I then plucked up the courage to trim down the (expensive) orange wing to match the one on Masami's car.

I've also converted the shocks to run spacer clips rather than the AE collers (Thanks to YZ-10 [Matt] for the spacers) for height adjustment. They are now built up to match the Masami arrangement using some NIP YS-6 parts with white ball joints but with black spring seats (I dyed some white ones black rather than buy more parts :wink: )

I've still yet to fit the 2nd (revised) chassis that I had made, but here's some pictures of how the car currently sits;

(Sorry for the dark pics - it was a rather grey day & they were taken with my phone :| )

Oh & on Saturday I masked out the shell;

Image :wink:

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

what a weapon dan, this just keep's getting better and better. is that a swann morton knife? been looking for one of those handle's 8)

tell me this, if this buggy had 2mm belts what tooth pulleys and what front outdrive's were used?
the front housing uses small outdrive's with small diff rings in a 94 and i have never seen m2 pitch 94 pulleys, im told 51 m2 tooth are correct so what outdrives then?

fakiee
Approved Member

Post by fakiee »

GJW wrote: tell me this, if this buggy had 2mm belts what tooth pulleys and what front outdrive's were used?
the front housing uses small outdrive's with small diff rings in a 94 and i have never seen m2 pitch 94 pulleys, im told 51 m2 tooth are correct so what outdrives then?
It looks like M3 pitch up front to me?

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

fakiee wrote:
GJW wrote: tell me this, if this buggy had 2mm belts what tooth pulleys and what front outdrive's were used?
It looks like M3 pitch up front to me?
Yes... its been established that my car has the in-correct M3 belts...... As Gary says the M2 pitch belts are correct.

I'm afraid Gary, all I can help you with is what I know from this car... the pulleys are both 35 teeth (for M3 belts obviously.... I don't know how these translate into the finer pitch?). As for outdrives, the front ones I assume have got to be the same as a 94 or later YZ-10 since it uses the same plastic bulkhead assembly?? - The rears the same as at Works 91/92/93 car???

YZ-10
Approved Member

Post by YZ-10 »

Its a stunner, I think you should be really proud mate, you've put a lot of effort in and it shows, look forward to seeing it with body painted etc 8) :mrgreen:

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

I see that you have started to work on the arm relief!! Did you get a better image of the fronts?

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Charlie don't surf wrote:I see that you have started to work on the arm relief!! Did you get a better image of the fronts?
@ Reg - 'arm relief' I'm not sure I understand? If you mean the lightening holes in the rear wishbones, they were already done when I got the car... they will stay as they are as I think they give a nice link to the originality of the car. The front arms do not have any such 'holes'.

@ Matt - thanks mate :wink:

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

so there must be m2 94 pulleys then hey mate, where's vin :wink:

pedro
Approved Member

Post by pedro »

Gary the front outdrives are specific to the wcs i had both sets at one time and there are 2 different part numbers one for the wcs and one for the 94 onward yz10.
peter

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

ah ha!!! thanks peter i new someone would say that :cry:

dan your rebuild really is stunning dude, there would have to be under 10 guys on this forum that have a 93 wcs surely. 8) 8)

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

pedro wrote:Gary the front outdrives are specific to the wcs i had both sets at one time and there are 2 different part numbers one for the wcs and one for the 94 onward yz10.
peter
Peter, do you know the difference between these outdrives?.. I'm sure that the 94 ones would work.... on the understanding that the whole front end (bulkhead/diff casing mouldings etc) is all the same. the only thing that might be different is the driveshafts i.e being longer or shorter on the WCS compared to the 94> cars??

@ Gary, yes I feel priviliged to own this WCS.... actually I think this is the only 'used' one (apart from Masami's) that i've seen. I think Dual (Vin) has more than one car, but i've never seen any pictures of them :|

Dual
Approved Member

Post by Dual »

Gary the front outdrives are specific to the wcs i had both sets at one time and there are 2 different part numbers one for the wcs and one for the 94 onward yz10.
peter
As Peter wrote, the front, rear and centre pulleys on the Yokomo WCS are specific for this car. They are M2 Pitch, 51 Tooth and use the same hardware (diff balls, thrust bearings and diff rings) as the Yokomo Works 93. Part number for the front and rear pulleys is ZC-5031

The rear outdrives are from the Yokomo Works '93.

The front outdrives are specific for the WCS and are not interchangeable with the Yokomo 94 YZ10 because the WCS uses diff rings from the Works 93 and the 94 YZ10 uses 'keyed' diff rings and different M3 33T pulleys. Part number for the WCS front outdrives is ZD-501

The Aluminium Front One-Way Drive Pulley is 22 Tooth. Part number is ZD-674.

The Aluminium Slipper Hub (rear) is also 22 Tooth. Part number is ZD-671.

The front belt on the Yokomo WCS is M2 Pitch 262 Tooth. Part number is ZD-653.

The rear belt on the Yokomo WCS is M2 Pitch 95 Tooth. Part number is ZD-658.

The universal drive shafts are identical in length front and rear for both the WCS and 94 YZ10. The only difference being that the production WCS came with the optional 'Hard' drive shafts.

I hope this is of some assistance.

Vin