New member restoring RC10 CE and TQ10... some advice please

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

strangersinspace
Approved Member

New member restoring RC10 CE and TQ10... some advice please

Post by strangersinspace »

Hello, new member here. I just found this site a few days ago and I think I'm in heaven.... I had no idea there was such a widespread interest in restoring these old cars.

I have what I believe you'd call an RC10 Championship Edition and a TQ10. Both cars have the wider front A-Arms, both have the 6 gear transmission... the RC10 CE has the gold tub (A stamp) and the TQ10 has a flat graphite chassis but no AE logo on it that I can see. I remember a few years ago I stupidly threw away the TQ10 manual thinking it was redundant with the RC10 manual. I bought the RC10 new back in the day and I bought the TQ10 used (also back in the day). I'm restoring both vehicles and have a few questions.... sorry if these have been answered already - I did search :)

1) The only difference (other than the chassis) between my RC10 and TQ10 is that the steering bellcrank isn't the normal servo-saver type apparatus that all the early RC10's had.... its two black solid pieces that have bearings with no "saver" mechanism. Is this the way the TQ10 came stock, or did the guy I bought it from hop it up? The other difference is the motor plate is all black and has a pretty substantial heat sink built right into it... is that stock or a hop-up? If I'd have kept the darn manual, I'd know...

2) This is related to the above.... but what's the difference between the TQ10 and the RC10 graphite? And what's up with the "TQ" designation anyway? Anybody know what years this was produced?

3) The transmission parts all look in good usable condition except for one of them that has really worn outdrives. The place where the dogbone locks in has really dented into the metal over time pretty bad. I haven't been able to find this part on ebay... are these generally hard to come by?

4) I need some new spur gears and pinions. Are there any new spurs that will work?

5) I plan on actually running these vehicles and getting some use out of them. Generally speaking, what are the parts that are going to be: 1- easily broken/worn out and 2- difficult to find and replace ? Are there a lot of such parts? I've already learned the hard way that the front shock tower meets those 2 requirements (and the outdrives from the transmission at least meet #2, if not 1).

That's it for now... thanks.

scr8p
Administrator

Re: New member restoring RC10 CE and TQ10... some advice please

Post by scr8p »

1) a "late" tq10 would be the same as a 6 gear ce, except the motor plate, chassis, wheels, and tires. everything else is the same. the heat sink motor plate is probably a "litesink", which isn't original. a tq10 would have the same motorplate as an rc10, except it's anodized black.

2) the motorplate. tq10 has a black one, the rc10 graphite was gold. the tires were different too. i don't know why it's called the tq10. i guess horizon hobbies just wanted to call it that. i'm pretty sure it came out in '89.

3) the used to be all over the place. but as more people are restoring them now a days, they're getting harder to find.

4) kimbrough gears will work.

5) i don't remember ever breaking a thing on any of my rc10's. so, i don't know what to tell ya about what to get as extras. it'll depend on how much you beat on them. :wink: you can always find parts lot on ebay with decent used parts. it'll be a cheaper way to stock up on extras.

strangersinspace
Approved Member

Post by strangersinspace »

Hey thanks for the quick reply...

For the kimbrough spur gears, which ones do I look for? Ones that are labeled as being made for the B4?

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

ones for the b4 won't work on a 6 gear trans. you need a spur that uses diff balls.