- My Team Car runner -

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Asso_man!
Approved Member

- My Team Car runner -

Post by Asso_man! »

Hi guys, it's been a while since I didn't post a new project here, though I have tons of unfinished projects waiting for me to be retired, LOL

So, I bought this car years ago from a SoCal racer, received it, opened the cardboard to inspect it and then it just returned in it waiting to be restored. The car is in really nice shape and would have made a perfect shelf queen by just replacing the chassis by a new one. But the chassis, as well as the rest of teh car, was superbly machined and prepared. The car obviously belonged to an experimented racer who knew how to best prepare and fine tune a '10. Just to name a few mods: lightened/machined chassis, early Lunsford turnbuckles, set screws were installed on every pin/axle and even in the rear hubs (I still do not see why he did that, so if anyone has a clue...), cut out motor plate, ball-raced steering bellcranks, aluminium screws wherever possible... The car was obviously very lightly run and well cared of.

So when I saw how used my now former runner (my version of the "what was old is still old, but a lot newer") was and the amount of play it had after a 6 hours enduro race that took place last year (and that my mates and I won!), I decided to use this one as a runner as I have much more spare parts for a "stock" Team Car than for a "prototype" of some sort. What is more, I really wanted to run a genuine RC10 with minimal modifications and run the snot out of it against modern buggies at my local club (I am a bit bored with running a failless B4).

Two weeks ago, I prepared it in a hurry, dropped some modern electronics, a LiPo battery with a LRP 6.5 brushless motor and speedo. The only modifications I did were to replace the slipper/top shaft unit with a B4 one and to fit B2 CVD's to run B2/B3 rims.

Erik (aka Mr. ED) was here in Belgium as well and we finally had the opportunity to go at my club and race our vintage cars together. Have a look here for some pictures and comments by Erik: http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=10033

We had a total balst and lots of fun. My car was not dialed at all, I mainly experienced a big "wheeling" problem. I had to add many wheights at the front to calm the car down and even after some small changes, the car was almost impossible to drive easily. That was mainly due to the LiPo battery and the brushless motor that took at least 200 grammes out of the car, to the too grippy Yokomo TR-32 rear tires and to my ESC that was setted on a very agressive punch. Anyway, I qualified 2nd in the morning and had to forget about the final because my motor was totally wet and the car didn't want to even move, too bad... In the afternoon, I again qualified 2nd or 3rd, but the car was not behaving like I wanted and was way too touchy. Unfortunately, I totally missed the afternoon final and, if I remember correctly, I finished just before the last one. At the end of the day, I knew exactly what to do to make the car better and I was pretty convinced that it had much more potential.

I raced again this last Sunday (without Erik this time :cry: ) and made some small modifications: added some extra weight on the front, lowered the punch on the ESC to the minimum, used some heavier springs on the front shocks with thicker oil and made some adjustments to the slipper. The car was much more better this time, very fast and progressive. There were 7 entries in the 2wd class and I managed to qualify 2nd in the morning, but someone bumped me twice in the beginning of the final and I had lost so much time that I couldn't even think of being back in the top 3, too bad again! Then in the afternoon, I qualified 5th and finally took the 2nd place in the final. I was happy, very happy, especially considering I was running an old timer against modern buggies all equipped with state-of-the-art electronics, there was even an Atomic Carbon S2 car that was just behind me, looooool :lol:

I'll try to report again after the next race and take some action shots this time. In teh meantime, here are some static pics:

and here it is with an awfully painted (not by me) Viper body

aconsola
Approved Member

Re: - My Team Car runner -

Post by aconsola »

great looking car!
The set screws are there as a backup to the e-clips, a little bit of insurance against losing a pin, and the race. usually the builder will grind a bit of a flat spot where the pin goes to help seat the screw.

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

aconsola wrote:great looking car!
The set screws are there as a backup to the e-clips, a little bit of insurance against losing a pin, and the race. usually the builder will grind a bit of a flat spot where the pin goes to help seat the screw.
Thanks Anthony, I know the trick, but the guy also did it to the rear hubs near the inner ball bearing and I don't know why...(maybe to help secure the bearing????)

adam lancia
Approved Member

Post by adam lancia »

Asso_man! wrote:
Thanks Anthony, I know the trick, but the guy also did it to the rear hubs near the inner ball bearing and I don't know why...(maybe to help secure the bearing????)
It's also to get the hinge pin to pivot ONLY in the arm rather than in the the arm and hub. I had heard an explanation for this years ago and it made complete sense. I think it got filed in the "remember to do this every time but forget why" portion of my brain :lol: :shock: :mrgreen:

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

Asso_man! wrote:
I would think that if you are at the point of worrying about losing a bearing out of the hub that you already have bigger problems and are out of the race anyway.
I could see it being useful if the set screw was between the bearings in the hub, then you could put a compressed air nozzle up to it to blow the debris out of the bearings from the inside without taking the whole hub apart.

onkel benz

Post by onkel benz »

what a nice car :shock: lipo and brushless like me..........on my team car :roll:

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

Erik (aka Mr Ed) and I went to race again last Sunday and we had a lot of fun. Erik brought the present he offered himself for his birthday, a brand spnaking new Academy truck, and as a matter of fact we were not racing in the same class as I was running my Team Car for the third time. If I remebember correctly Erik made the second place in both finals and I did second in the first A-main and third in the second, leaving behind me an army of B4 and one X6 :mrgreen: The car was a wonder to drive and it does feel good when you can kick some B4 ass with a grand-grand mother!

Here are some pics, maybe Erik will pop-up and post a few he took that day.

Erik's truck in action:

Everything is in place Erik?

Wow, that was a harsh landing Erik!! :lol:

My car together with a gold tub that unfortunately didn't race

Landing on the nose :mrgreen:

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

David: when are you going to find a second AVID sticker? You need only to stick the D in front to make your personalized version ;)

I certainly had a great day and the truck (model of 2000) prooved a fun and good choice.
Actually I didn't make second on the first final due to a battery giving in on me and forcing me 3 rounds SLOOOOWLY around the track. But I did make 1st, and 2nd places within the same round as the winner in the truck category most of the day.
And that 's a little wonder considering I ran one of LRP's first ESC's , a bushed and brushed 240ST Le Mans moter, and 3.3 Ah NiMh's packs against folks with newer cars and all the latest electronic gear

The pictures I made are all in my flickr account, just need to link them into a post about the car and built still.
For the impatient: you can see them here already: http://www.flickr.com/photos/9904645@N07/sets/72157617461513063/

HotRodJosh
Approved Member

Post by HotRodJosh »

adam lancia wrote: It's also to get the hinge pin to pivot ONLY in the arm rather than in the the arm and hub. I had heard an explanation for this years ago and it made complete sense.
It's so only one part wears out instead of two....... :D
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription.....is more cowbell."
Pinstriping by Josh

mtbnjim

Post by mtbnjim »

What kind of run times do you get with the 3300mah/LRP 6.5 combo? I have that in a B44 and may drop it into an RC10 for kicks...I have a feeling I'm going to have to tape some lead weights on the front to keep it down.

mauromj

Post by mauromj »

All the New technology looks good in that car.

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

mtbnjim wrote:What kind of run times do you get with the 3300mah/LRP 6.5 combo? I have that in a B44 and may drop it into an RC10 for kicks...I have a feeling I'm going to have to tape some lead weights on the front to keep it down.
With 3800 Orion LiPo batteries, LRP Comp Spec ESc set to the minimum punch and a LRP 6.5 motor with a sintered rotor (for more torque) you can expect from 10 to 15 minutes run times depending on the track compound (grass is quite demanding). You will indeed have to add weight to the car to prevent it from wheelying all the time (especially with a LiPo battery). I found that 35 grammes on the nose, 21 grammes near the servo and about 50 grammes under the front of the battery works really good.

Thanks for all the comments guys, this car is a bomb and almost bulletproof.

mtbnjim

Post by mtbnjim »

Looks like you have a nice track setup there. Maybe have whomever, mow that grass all the way down to get more run time. Also, you got a nice 30c Lipo there, try a lesser batt(20 0r 25c), that'll slow the current down a little to keep you from wheeling and maybe give you some extra minutes- I've been running Zippy lipos from Hobbycity.com with good success on other stuff and they have a lot of options for lipos. Again, nice runner :D

MOmo
Approved Member

Post by MOmo »

Nice work David!

Id like to put together a Team car for running around my backyard. I don't have BL, but any suggestions for running in grass? I know you European folks have more "grass" tracks than we do here. just curious. I kinda want to playu around with something like that in my back yard. Might also do one with a "truck-conversion".

MOmo

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

I have learned a few things about running on higher grip surfaces like grass and carpet since I returned to Belgium: main goal is to keep enough grip to move forward as it should, but reduce sideways grip to prevent rolling over.
- lower the CG as deep as possible, but don't get the chassisdragging over the grass too much either
- stabilizers are good
- rear tires with forward grip but less sideways grip would be the max, often tried by cutting the outmost row of pins on your tires
- narrow 2wd front tires on 4wd cars are also possible

The other issue: wheelieing is not a problem to me with my mild moter choice and David already adressed most. I 'd just add: learn how to use your ESC variables and use the dials if you got one of those fancy radios