i want...

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

a01butal
Approved Member

Re: i want...

Post by a01butal »

Perfect for Chicago driving challenges probably does the potholes really great. :)

This is all very interesting!

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

a01butal wrote:Perfect for Chicago driving challenges probably does the potholes really great. :)
this one is a little overkill for chicago... :wink: and it dont matter what you drive, if you hit a 10" deep pothole going 30mph it just doesnt feel too good.

i'm looking forward to the next time a cabbie tries to pass me in a turning or passing lane and then muscle his way in front of me. they will literally just start to turn into you and expect you to yield. with the amount of hate the cops have for cabbies anyway i'm pretty sure i could drive all the way up over one and not get ticketed.

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

Halgar wrote:I knew you'd get it! 8)
hehe. can you guess what my next crawler build is gonna look like?

a01butal
Approved Member

Post by a01butal »

Forgot to tell you that looks really cool that must have been quite a project making that roll cage(cacoon) is it homebuilt or purchased, does it come off easily or welded to stay forever. Were you able to trade off the Zuk?

This is all very interesting!

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

badhoopty wrote:and it dont matter what you drive, if you hit a 10" deep pothole going 30mph it just doesnt feel too good.
I did that once at 65 and blew two tires and bent the rims. I had to call a buddy to come pick me up and go get new tires and rims. Took it to the shop the next day for a thorough looksee and surprisingly there was no other damage. Didn't even seem to screw with the alignment. I looked into suing the county for damages, but they've got this nice little law that says they aren't responsible for anything, so don't bother. :roll: Oh, by the time I got back to my car with the new rims and tires, the pot hole was repaired. This thing was at the crest of a hill, so it was blind until you had already hit it. It was 2 feet wide, 6 feet long and 6" to 8" deep. I was in my Mazda 626 at the time.

badhoopty wrote:
Halgar wrote:I knew you'd get it! 8)
hehe. can you guess what my next crawler build is gonna look like?
No, but I see a pair of these hanging off the tail ... :lol:
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

RedScampi
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

Way to go! Those are cool. My neighbor is really into them. I had a Jeep Wrangler and he was always telling me about the places he could go that I couldn't. Still, I'd hate to get hit in one of those. :shock: Here's another friend messing around last summer:
Attachments
173366-R1-17-17A_018 (Large).jpg
Gary

wts873
Approved Member

Post by wts873 »

Congrats on your score!! how is the centered toy rear diff to offset T--case driveshaft angles handled? Does it have Tracker/ Sidekick T-case tranny engine combo? Toyota gears are easy to come by and easy to install. some in the 5.xx range should be just about right to get back your 5th gear. :wink:

THUNDERSTRIKE1
Approved Member

Post by THUNDERSTRIKE1 »

UH is this one gonna try an bustout the garage too? Or get lifted through the roof? lol Don

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

THUNDERSTRIKE1 wrote:UH is this one gonna try an bustout the garage too? Or get lifted through the roof? lol Don
OMG! :lol: I forgot about that! LOL Maybe Hoop will have better luck with yellow. :lol:

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

Halgar wrote:
THUNDERSTRIKE1 wrote:UH is this one gonna try an bustout the garage too? Or get lifted through the roof? lol Don
OMG! :lol: I forgot about that! LOL Maybe Hoop will have better luck with yellow. :lol:
i certainly wont mount the started relay sideways on this one... :lol:

but then again, with the way this one is setup it wouldnt have near the stump pulling capabilities my old one had.

not yet anyway... i'm gonna order a 6.4:1 transfer ca$e tommorow...

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

hdjsgjkldshgjhasdg darn front caliper seized on me in the a 7-11 parking lot on the way home... LOCKED.

i was only about a half mile from home, so i put the thing in 4h and muscled it the rest of the way. burning the clutch and the brakes the entire time...

so... i just got done ordering a new transfer case and tcase girdle, a new hipo clutch and tranny crossmember, and a new rear shock mount. and then i'd imagine after i pay all that junk off i'll start on the darn brakes...

and then paint it olive drab. :wink:

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

badhoopty wrote:and then paint it olive drab. :wink:
Screw the drab! JD Green baby!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

That sucks about the brakes. Ya know, you coulda snaked the winch cable through the engine compartment and trussed up the suspension on that corner and saved the brakes and the clutch. :wink:

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

i garaged this thing the next day after the 7-11 incident.

the front brakes are cashed... i now realize that this thing probably hasnt been maintained AT ALL since the original owner put it all together back in 2002.

ever dump a real nice and sweet chick to go out with a total fluzy, and almost immediately regret doing so?... :?

i went ahead and got all the stuff to update the front brakes to later model landcruiser vented rotors and calipers. but of course it wasnt cheap, and half the stuff i need i had to order, so on top of all the drivetrain stuff thats on order i'm out of a d.d. for a good 2-3 weeks.

i'm basically on foot and depending on the hospitality of friends to get me places. :(

i am almost embarrassed to admit to how much this thing is going to cost me before its all said and done.

i can see the light at the end of the tunnel in regards to making this a really cool and dependable rig. but man, if i had known the thing needed this much done do it i would have just stuck with my old trusty red rust bucket for awhile longer...
wts873 wrote:Congrats on your score!! how is the centered toy rear diff to offset T--case driveshaft angles handled? Does it have Tracker/ Sidekick T-case tranny engine combo? Toyota gears are easy to come by and easy to install. some in the 5.xx range should be just about right to get back your 5th gear. :wink:
it uses a front toyota shaft thats been shortened to fit the rear, i've read about some people getting vibes at different speeds with the setup, but in the limited time i've had to drive it, its actually driven alot nicer than my old zuk that had kad driveshafts. those things would just about vibrate your filings out if you didnt keep them greased up, but then again you would never ever ever ever break a kad shaft. (just destroy bearings and anything else relatively close to them...) ;)

i figured out on a gear calculator that with the 34's, the toy 4.11 axles, and the 6.5:1 transfer case it will put me within 2% of stock "feel" in 2high. so thats cool. and in 2low, its like a 180% reduction in gear, which is groovy.

and its just got the tracker 16v motor. everything else behind it is sami.

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

Dayum! Sorry to hear that it's more of a bucket than a runner! I rest assured in your abilities to make this one as much a force as the last, whether or not it tries to escape the garage! :wink: :mrgreen:

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

its all your fault halgar!! :lol:

i knew it was a bit of a fixer upper to begin with. but a tintop on toyota axles with yj springs, exo, and a 'big block' motor? i couldnt let it pass...

it just suuucks to have something broke to the point where it aint drivable. if it was just a trail rig it wouldnt be so bad, but every day this aint on the road is another day i gotta bother a friend or take a cab, or ugh... a train...

i got all the parts comin, a bunch of parts... so its just a matter of time and effort before i get it road & trail worthy. hopefully after this initial wrenching it'll just be little weekend projects here and there. lots and lots of weekend projects. :wink: