2009 Vintage Off Road Nationals !!!! -- Tentatively Schedule

Post about upcoming or past events.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

scr8p
Administrator

Re: 2009 Vintage Off Road Nationals !!!! -- Tentatively Schedule

Post by scr8p »

bngiles wrote:My opinion: The more classes you have, the fewer people will be racing each other.
i would highly doubt that anyone would show up at the race to only run this type of class, so i don't see it being an issue. i wished there was 2 types of 2wd classes before the first race, simply because i had a bunch of them i could've used. i only got one truck, and no tamiyas or 4wd's (at the time). another thing that could be done would be to lower the entry fees. i thought the $35 for the first class, $30 2nd, 3rd, etc. that was stated was a bit steep. then i showed up at the race, went to sign in, and the first class was now $40. that pissed me off. but anyways, if the enrty fee was lower, i think you'd see more guys willing to run more than 1-2 classes.

as for smoking electronics, that could happen to anything. just because they're old doesn't mean anything to me. i still have a tekin 411p in my terminator, and the last time i ran it (2 years ago), i was using a 12 triple and 4200 cells without a hint of problems. i bought it new in 91 and it's worked flawlessly since then.

i also understand the old style tires on that track aren't the best. as i had said earlier in this thread (i think), i took my halsey car out for a couple laps on the old aj's. so, i know what your talking about. but, using a hornet, since there's nothing you can do in adjusting the setup to help compensate for the tires, really isn't the best reference. decent "era correct" tires are still out there. if anyone wants to run this class, they'll just have to find them.

tecnica2001
Approved Member

Post by tecnica2001 »

Bngiles,

I ran the CO27 with NiMh, and that this was faster than a brushless, now throw a lipo into the mix, along with the CO27 and :shock: those things are quick. I'm running the CO27 with lipo on my (vintage) XX for the 09 nationals. :mrgreen:
Life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what R/C car you're gonna get next!!!

Eccentric
Approved Member

Post by Eccentric »

y2kgtp wrote:I think you just need to have a 18-20yr old judge to determine Vintage. If he does not recognize it, you can run it :mrgreen:
Now that's funny! :lol:

bearrickster wrote:they wont last the 4 min?
Back in the '80s when I started racing, a "dumped" pack was all too common. Trying to get too many runs out of a tired NiCad pack (they were a royal pain) and/or the wrong gearing were the most common causes. I still have my timer charger. I use it sometimes as a discharger.

My vote (for what it's worth-LOL) is for a spec NimH or NiCad pack (driver's choice) of around 1500-1900mAh. Looks and weighs the same as the old 1000-1200mAh NiCad garbage we had to run back in the day. Brushed motors would get my vote too. We don't run these vintage cars enough to warrant the expense and departure from 'vintage-ness' that a BL swap incurs. FWIW-I run BL/Lipo in my Losi XXX4 and XXXT-CR. Nothing but NimH and brushed for my RPS Yokomo SE (and vintage Losi 2WD buggy/truck whenever I get one). Guess I could run my vintage Futaba Magnum Sport radio (that I used back in the day). Adjustable endpoints, digital trims, and model memory sure are hard to give up though...
Eccentric
When did my hobbies become "Old" and "Vintage"???

-RPS Yokomo SE. Novak T4. Revolution stock. Hot Trick dual front shock setup.
-Kyosho Circuit-10 Wildcat Buggy
-Kyosho Nimitz-06. Now that's obscure!
-Marui Big Bear

y2kgtp
Approved Member

Post by y2kgtp »

I say any nicad battery, and brushed motors.

If you really want vintage maybe enforce old AM radios so people can have radio glitches as well to complain about.....

Eccentric
Approved Member

Post by Eccentric »

The original thick/hard knobbie type tires we ran worked well enough back in the day on the loamy 'natural terrain' tracks we had then. I never needed more traction (maybe I didn't know any better-HA). I'd like to run some more modern meats on my Yoke though. I imagine 20+ year old knobbies won't hook up well on a modern track. Gonna have to search the board to find out what guys are doing to run modern tires on that car. I'd like to run M3 Holeshot Buggy rears on all four corners. That'd at least partialy preserve the original look (which had the same width tires F/R).

AM radio glitching sucked back then too. Another case of not knowing any better... :lol:
Eccentric

-Marui Big Bear

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

what's wrong with glitching? you guys are no fun. :wink:

fm and pcm radios were around pre-94, so you couldn't say am only.

if this class would happen, as i stated earlier, i wouldn't be too worried about using a new style radio. just so guys wouldn't have to carry an extra radio. but, that being said, the new radios offer alot of fine tuning aids for the throttle and braking. so, it's not really keeping with whole "true vintage" vibe.

i'd also say that the motors would have to be limited to non-rebuildable 27t stock motors. we all have them laying around, might as well use them. at the 08 nats, i ran an old trinity green machine that was a handout motor from a track i raced at in 1993. it was just as fast as anything on the track.

y2kgtp
Approved Member

Post by y2kgtp »

scr8p wrote:what's wrong with glitching? you guys are no fun. :wink:

fm and pcm radios were around pre-94, so you couldn't say am only.

if this class would happen, as i stated earlier, i wouldn't be too worried about using a new style radio. just so guys wouldn't have to carry an extra radio. but, that being said, the new radios offer alot of fine tuning aids for the throttle and braking. so, it's not really keeping with whole "true vintage" vibe.
I agree on radios can be newer....make everyone run Ofna RTR versions...that should be vintage like enough
scr8p wrote: i'd also say that the motors would have to be limited to non-rebuildable 27t stock motors. we all have them laying around, might as well use them. at the 08 nats, i ran an old trinity green machine that was a handout motor from a track i raced at in 1993. it was just as fast as anything on the track.
Will there be a bench vice, an L Allen wrench and vice grips made available?

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

y2kgtp wrote:Will there be a bench vice, an L Allen wrench and vice grips made available?
and you'd need those for what? hmmm......................... :wink:

y2kgtp
Approved Member

Post by y2kgtp »

scr8p wrote:
y2kgtp wrote:Will there be a bench vice, an L Allen wrench and vice grips made available?
and you'd need those for what? hmmm......................... :wink:
It's....um...how I remove shock bottoms :mrgreen:

Eccentric
Approved Member

Post by Eccentric »

y2kgtp wrote: Will there be a bench vice, an L Allen wrench and vice grips made available?

Like as if you don't already have these motor (excuse me...shock) rebuilding tools! :lol:
Eccentric

-Marui Big Bear

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

feel free to advance the timing on your motors all you want. i'll be sure to comment on the lovely scent the smoke is that will be billowing out the back of your car. :wink: :mrgreen:

y2kgtp
Approved Member

Post by y2kgtp »

scr8p wrote:feel free to advance the timing on your motors all you want. i'll be sure to comment on the lovely scent the smoke is that will be billowing out the back of your car. :wink: :mrgreen:
I thought stock motors had fixed timing?

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

you got me...................... i just run them. every time i tried to "play" with my motors....... POOF!!!!! :P :lol:

most stock motors came/come with 24 degrees of timing. some had 36, if i remember right. but if you wanted to, and know how to, you could get more out of them. but that would be cheating...... and cheating is wrong if you get caught. :wink:

y2kgtp
Approved Member

Post by y2kgtp »

scr8p wrote:you got me...................... i just run them. every time i tried to "play" with my motors....... POOF!!!!! :P :lol:

most stock motors came/come with 24 degrees of timing. some had 36, if i remember right. but if you wanted to, and know how to, you could get more out of them. but that would be cheating...... and cheating is wrong if you get caught. :wink:
I tried it a few times, but always seemed like the motors lost low end torque.....

wyldbill
Approved Member

Post by wyldbill »

but if you wanted to, and know how to, you could get more out of them. but that would be cheating......
yeah, but its when you build them legally,stock,and spend hours doing it right only to put 3 laps on the feild and then you get called a cheater. then the accuser throws in a hot mod motor, announces it to every one, and can't even keep it on the track or make a single turn to try and catch you. funny thing about that motor was i bought it at the track from a guy selling out and it still has the $3.00 price tag on it! ask Dale about that sometime and he will deny the whole thing.