Lurker comes out of the shadows

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RedScampi
Approved Member

Lurker comes out of the shadows

Post by RedScampi »

Hey guys (and gals)! My name is Gary and I have a problem. I'm addicted to RC cars! I really don't know why. My first car of any sort was a Tyco Turbo Hopper I got in 1987. I found a Tamiya Super Champ at a local swap meet and bought it because it looked so cool. I had great fun with it until one day I walked into a local hobby shop and saw the "real" RC cars. I was pretty poor back then but my wife was understanding and let me use all of our discretionary income one month to buy a car. The lhs guy was very helpful and steered me toward an RC10 kit, and convinced me to buy a set of bearings with it. I took it home and had a great time putting it together, even with the limited tools I had at the time. I made several trips to the local track but then they closed. At some point i had also acquired a Tamiya Frog as well but i didn't do much with it since it seemed so inferior to the RC10. Now the sad part. The local track closed, I moved on to "real" cars, thought I was too grown up to play with toys. I sold all three cars and all of my gear to a guy for a hundred measly clams. If I had only known... Anyway, fast forward to 2008 and I'm on one of my hot rod forums browsing through the for sale items. There was a guy who had a pair of Losi XXX-s sedans with radios, batteries and a charger plus spares for $125.00. At the time I justified buying them with the idea in mind of putting muscle car bodies on them and going Trans-Am racing. Anyway, one thing led to another and me and e-bay got to be real good friends. I currently have about 50 cars, mostly Tamiya, but I have two RC10T3's and 7 RC10 buggies, a couple of Losi's and some other stuff. Most of these cars need attention of some kind or another. I tend to take the most pleasure out of restoring, or at least improving old, beat up stuff. New cars, although I admire the technology just don't fascinate me as much. I'll be posting some pics of each of my cars in the appropriate forums and keep you updated as i make changes. By the way - I am in awe of what you guys do here. Some of your cars are just amazing! My stuff may seem mundane by comparison but I have to work on a budget. I have a couple full size hot rods and kids in college to deal with. :/ Here a few of my RC10's. You may recognize some from e-pay. Sorry about the pic quality. These are from the ads. It will get better I promise!
9c52_1.JPG
9c52_1.JPG (17.34 KiB) Viewed 1168 times
9c52_1.JPG
9c52_1.JPG (17.34 KiB) Viewed 1168 times
8046_1.JPG
8046_1.JPG (22.07 KiB) Viewed 1168 times
8046_1.JPG
8046_1.JPG (22.07 KiB) Viewed 1168 times
d0a5_1.jpg
d0a5_1.jpg (53 KiB) Viewed 1168 times
d0a5_1.jpg
d0a5_1.jpg (53 KiB) Viewed 1168 times
Gary

MONSTER
Approved Member

Re: Lurker comes out of the shadows

Post by MONSTER »

Welcome to the Forum.

Yes, these things are QUITE addictive!!!. Sounds like a nice Collections. And dont worry, since you say the pics came from eBay, someone, sometime SOON, will pop in here and say, "YEAH, I was wondering who won that. blah blah blah", GUARANTEED. We ALL have the same "problem" here.

"Hi, Im Bryce, and Im an RC CAR Addict" :wink:

fordtransman
Approved Member

Post by fordtransman »

My wife finally said "No" :(

Now I don't know what to do after she's gone.... :)

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

Yes, Welcome to the forums Red. Addiction is what most of us here have so you'll fit right in. With 50 cars in the stable from the time you started back into it sounds like you actually have quite a budget to work with :mrgreen:
I have seen one of the pix above off of ebay from awhile back and looks like you have a great start to some great runners.

"Hi, my name is Todd and I am an RC Addict"...

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

hey,

i also seen these on ebay, great platforms to work with and ...

my name is Anthony and have issues with RCs too

I just joined not to long ago, these people are excellent, welcome 8)

RedScampi
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

Just a couple more shots of my projects. All of these are in their infancy, so they don't look so hot right now:
Got this one at a local automotive swap meet along with a Kyosho High Rider Corvette painted to match for cheap!
Got this one at a local automotive swap meet along with a Kyosho High Rider Corvette painted to match for cheap!
This body is really nice - only needs a bit of touch up.  The chassis was pretty banged up so I de-anodized it, my first try. The white parts were very yellowed so i dyed them blue.
This body is really nice - only needs a bit of touch up. The chassis was pretty banged up so I de-anodized it, my first try. The white parts were very yellowed so i dyed them blue.
This body was beat up really badly so I chopped it off and sprayed it semi-flat black on the outside.
This body was beat up really badly so I chopped it off and sprayed it semi-flat black on the outside.
Got these with one of the cars - too bad the wheels are ruined. :(
Got these with one of the cars - too bad the wheels are ruined. :(
Gary