Lazer ZX build...

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

stulec52
Approved Member

Re: Lazer ZX build...

Post by stulec52 »

What a difference !!
I would have been tempted to strip it for parts.
oh, and I think I have a new top belt cover if you need one.

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

Thanks! I would never have attempted it if my LHS had not been blowing out all their Kyosho stuff cheap. As for the belt cover, thanks but I have several NIP ones now that will be going on e-bay at some point :).

isobarik
Approved Member

Post by isobarik »

Was it hard to fit the schumacher slipper ???

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

No. It was Very easy actually. I am running out of the house at the moment, but will cover the process later today.-Jeff

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

Ok, finally have a minute to cover the slipper modification. First, I would like to say that this modification requires some simple but basic machining (lathe to be exact), so if you have no axcess to a lathe, than you are SOL. But if you do have access to a lathe, then this modification should take less than an hour total.
It just so happens that outside shoulder of the Schumacher slipper hub (the part that the drive pin keyes into) is the same diameter as the inside of the Kyosho lazer drive hub LA6. This is important as it was a big factor in my decision to attempt this modification. It allows the slipper to run concentric in relation to the drive hub it was being mounted to, and had enough penetration into the hub (LA6) to allow the two parts to run true once assembled.
The first modification was done to the Kyosho hub in the form of machining off the portion that held the "diff ring" on the upper lay shaft section. This was done to allow the hub assembly to allign on the lay shaft for pinion alignment. The amount that was machined off is not critical as the pinion can move in and out (with in reason) to align with the new spur location. The next thing was to remove the one way bearing from the hub as it will interfear with the Schumacher part. I dug out the roller pins and plastic race with a dental tool. This allowed me space to help press out the outer metal one way bearing race with a long 4-40 screw. I am sure there are other ways but this seemed like the quickest and most effective. After I had the bearing out, I cleaned the parts thoroughly, and epoxied them together with JB Weld. The parts have a slight interfearance fit, that requires a press or vise to assemble. This is good in that it offers a true and concentric part, but bad in that most adhesives require a "film"of nominal thickness between the two mating parts for proper adhesion.
However, the mating surfaces on the front offer good bonding area, and there is an eventual machanical connection in the form of a set screw that is drilled and tapped through the two epoxied pieces.
Once the assembly had sufficient time to cure, a hole (to be tapped for 3mm) was drilled and tapped. A 3mm thread setscrew was installed. This offers a mechanical tie between the two epoxied pieces, and will act as the drive "pin" for the slipper clutch assembly. Next, I assembled the the layshaft with the new slipper/hub assembly and tightened the set screw in order to leave a mark or bur on the shaft. This shows me where I needed to gring a small flat spot on the 4mm layshaft for the set screw to key into. After the flat is ground for the set screw to key into the layshaft can be assembled into the tranny and shimmed properly. At this point the slipper can be assembled as normal.
I know this is a long explanation, and is difficult to understand without pictures (I wish I had documented the process), but is a rewarding, quick project for your ZX racer.-Jeff

Kyosho Fan2
Approved Member

Post by Kyosho Fan2 »

Well as I said previously its fantastic and shows your skills with a lathe.

One thing, change the positioning of the blue steering arm, as its in the wrong position on the chassis. Have a look at my Lazer ZX-S and you will see how it should go. hope this helps you out.

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

Thanks, yeah I had already changed the steering arm since the pics were taken. I just need to mount a speedo and I should be close to running. I received my new universals from Kyosho America today (w5063), and a pure 10 diff assembly as well. In stock, and less than $20 USD :).
On a very sad note however, I missed an unbelievable E-Bay opportunity yesterday. I saw a Lazer ZX Evolution NIP up for auction. I emailed the guy to see if he had a buy it now price. I almost shat myself when he replied he only wanted $135 USD for it. But by the time I read his response (I had night school) he had already sold it. I am pretty sure it was a team drivers car as it included bulk packed rims (20 sets). I am still bitter-#@%$#%$! -Jeff

Kyosho Fan2
Approved Member

Post by Kyosho Fan2 »

You can tell if it is a team drivers car. If its like mine and has blue chassis poles and gearbox poles, motor mount plate and motor heatsink, pivot block front and rear blue plates then it was a team car, but if the chassis poles and gearbox poles, motor mount, motor heatsink and pivot block plates were silver it was just one of the 200 standard kits. However if he was a serious racer he would have had a minimum of 20 sets of wheels, I had over forty sets to hand.

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

Yeah, all the parts I could see were blue anodized. Still bitter :(. Anyways, I was looking at the ZX5 front castor blocks yesterday @ the LHS. They look to be a few MM wider than the stock ZX blocks. But they are available in several different castor ranges (4, 7deg & others I assume). Wondering if you knew off hand what the front end width on your car is for a comparison? -Jeff

Kyosho Fan2
Approved Member

Post by Kyosho Fan2 »

Jeff,

I will do it in the next couple of weeks, as I am still on holiday. I am surprised it was going that cheap and a pity I didnt know earlier as I would have bought it for spares. Still I still have an unsued brand new prototype/team car that I can use if it comes down to it.

I have found a belt manufacturer for this buggy so once I have got the belts to hand will test and let you all know where you can buy them from. I am also trying to get the front gear box casings made out of alloy and will post more info if I can.

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

When I was running the early Schumacher cat XLS, Procat, BossCat etc. I was having belts made and was selling them to distributors, hobby shops etc. The company here in the states that I used was SDP (stock drive products). They make nearly every size (pitch and US standard or MM), and formulation (neaprene, Kevlar, etc.) belt you could use. You can also specify the additive compositions (add teflon, or other relaease agents for e.g.). If I remember right they were not very expensive (less than $10 per piece) but there was a minimum order of 15 or 20pcs. With as low as the dollar is right now, you may find they are very reasonable :). They also make many of the belts for companies around the world (schumacher, losi, and others I can't remember at the moment). Thanks-Jeff

P.S. I was on E-Bay japan the other day, and found a company selling after market belts for the lazer series of cars. I didn't translate the page as to read everything, but they seemed vary available.

isobarik
Approved Member

Post by isobarik »

Jay Dub wrote:When I was running the early Schumacher cat XLS, Procat, BossCat etc. I was having belts made and was selling them to distributors, hobby shops etc. The company here in the states that I used was SDP (stock drive products). They make nearly every size (pitch and US standard or MM), and formulation (neaprene, Kevlar, etc.) belt you could use. You can also specify the additive compositions (add teflon, or other relaease agents for e.g.). If I remember right they were not very expensive (less than $10 per piece) but there was a minimum order of 15 or 20pcs. With as low as the dollar is right now, you may find they are very reasonable :). They also make many of the belts for companies around the world (schumacher, losi, and others I can't remember at the moment). Thanks-Jeff

P.S. I was on E-Bay japan the other day, and found a company selling after market belts for the lazer series of cars. I didn't translate the page as to read everything, but they seemed vary available.
You dont have an link or something ?? I have tried to locate the belts at ebay jp with no luck.
Do you use old style polhems or the new one from zx5 ???

mvh Isobarik 8)

Kyosho Fan2
Approved Member

Post by Kyosho Fan2 »

Jay Dub wrote:When I was running the early Schumacher cat XLS, Procat, BossCat etc. I was having belts made and was selling them to distributors, hobby shops etc. The company here in the states that I used was SDP (stock drive products). They make nearly every size (pitch and US standard or MM), and formulation (neaprene, Kevlar, etc.) belt you could use. You can also specify the additive compositions (add teflon, or other relaease agents for e.g.). If I remember right they were not very expensive (less than $10 per piece) but there was a minimum order of 15 or 20pcs. With as low as the dollar is right now, you may find they are very reasonable :). They also make many of the belts for companies around the world (schumacher, losi, and others I can't remember at the moment). Thanks-Jeff

Awesome, please add a link as that sounds interesting. I am on the look out for blue belts now. I think I have used up all of my favours in Kyosho Japan, as I asked one of my contacts on the off chance of them going through their warehouse for the rear belts, and they looked every where and found zip. But this shows why Kyosho are such a good company as they didnt stop there, they then got the belt manufacturer to search (they dont make these belts anymore so isnt eay to get them made up) and they found me 40 belts. I have now got quite a few (not all of them) coming my way from Japan and now am quite happy. Belts done now just layshaft gears and its game on the racing crcuit again big time. I am a bit disappointed with the proto diff gears as they have warped so I am having to use LA1 again and its not as smooth, but hey cant complain as its still good.

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

Awesome fInd on the belts. I might hit you up if I need one (I have a few NIP as of right now). As for the pulleys, I looked in my stuf, and have a NIP set if you would like. Just send me your Address, and I will ship you a set.
As for the pulleys, I forgot to mention that as well as belts I used to produce layshaft and pulley sets for the shuie cars. As it turns out, SDP produced pulley stock (long pre-machined billets of pulley material) that you would then machine into the individual smaller pieces that you require. It can be ordered in whatever tooth size you need (within reason) and A variety of materials (acetal, aluminium, etc.). I can look into it if you like, all I would need is the belt specs (tooth type and spacing) from the manufacturer in order to purchase the correct stock. -Jeff

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

isobarik- Polhems? (sorry don't know that one).

As for the link, I will look it up tonight. I just saw it again the day before yesterday. Thanks-Jeff