10T rebuild

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

JUSS10
Approved Member

10T rebuild

Post by JUSS10 »

well the rebuild for my runner has begun. I started by tearing the whole truck down and oxy cleaning everything thoroughly. i was debating to dye or not to dye and still am not sure if i made the right decision but the remaining original parts i dyed black. front bulkhead (i think thats what you call it) and all the little plastic odds and ends. well i was at it i took steel wool to the front and rear springs to shine them up, i then proceeded to shoot them with duplicolor metalcast blue which gave them a blue anodized look. turned out pretty cool. I also dyed and built the RPM tranny conversion kit. now all I'm left with is deciding whether or not to strip the anodizing on the tub so i can shoot it blue with the metalcast or just sand it and re shoot black or shoot it with duplicolors graphite wheel coating (pretty tough stuff, used it both on my jeep's wheels and on the forms and wheels of one of cycles i recently rebuilt) that would somewhat match the shock bodies. any one have an opinion of the chassis? (no powder coat or reanodizing, this is a play truck) no matter what i plan on coating the under side of the tub with something, though not sure just what yet. here are a few pics of where its at. Also i have included a pic of a chassis that i intend to CNC mill out of aluminum (kinda ripped off the design from the CC double deck chassis) the image is a rough solid sketch originally drawn to the RC10 buggy chassis

The Hybrid
Approved Member

Re: 10T rebuild

Post by The Hybrid »

lookin good so far...I would go blue with the frame to match the springs plus it would look awesome IMO...BTW What program did you use to draw that pic?

JUSS10
Approved Member

Post by JUSS10 »

I used solidworks to make the model. I'm in college going for a degree in industrial design. I'll soon start using rhino which does a much better job for modeling.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

your drawing looks good, except for the fact that your making it for a 10t and you have a buggy kickup on it. and remember that the truck chassis is longer than the buggy.

JUSS10
Approved Member

Post by JUSS10 »

JUSS10 wrote:the image is a rough solid sketch originally drawn to the RC10 buggy chassis
so yes it does have a buggy kick up and is longer, but that's because i originally drew it to make a chassis for my original RC10. i need to shorten and hack off the kick up for the 10T

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

i was under the impression that you just drew that up. sorry.

JUSS10
Approved Member

Post by JUSS10 »

no need to be sorry. I'll probably keep that drawing and modify it for my 10T and cut one out for each and see how they go.

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

CNC milled from aluminum? Not attacking your intentions, but doesn't seem like overkill for two flat plate separately by vertical stand off. Please don't take it the wrong way, that's not how I meant it. :D
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

JUSS10
Approved Member

Post by JUSS10 »

are you saying its over kill as in its to much work? i guess to me it seems the easiest way. i guess i could have it water jet or laser cut too. I'm going to knock one out of poly carb first as a proto and see how it turns out. who knows maybe i wont get around to it but i can dream right? I just really like making things on cnc machines.

anyway, here is the truck after today. i just decided to sand the tub with 220 then primed and painted with duplicolor wheel coating. covered real nice and i think it blends well with the overall scheme. I'll let it cure good before i start throwing in the electronics but I'm really pleased with how it turned out. so i started with this:

and ended with this:

for less than $15 it seems pretty good for a cheap clean "refresh" of a well used car. and i still have quite a bit of white parts left over :D

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

Very nice rebuild, I would also gently clean the edge of your rear shock tower with fine grit sand paper, it will look as new 8)

JUSS10
Approved Member

Post by JUSS10 »

hey thanks for the tip in the rear tower. i will make sure to do that. I was wondering how to clean those edges up nice.

Brat
Approved Member

Post by Brat »

I like the way you do with the chassis. Top notch job! Low cost quite NICE! I'm waiting to build 2 truck with parts i'm recieving probably next week.
My collections:
Nikko Brat, Nikko Dictator II, Nikko Thunder Eagle, Kyosho Pure Ten Nitro, Associated RC10, Associated RC10T, Associated RC10 Graphite, Associated B4, Tamiya Tamtech 1/24 Porsche 962C, Tamiya Striker, Tamiya TRF 501X WCE.

The Hybrid
Approved Member

Post by The Hybrid »

JUSS10 wrote:hey thanks for the tip in the rear tower. i will make sure to do that. I was wondering how to clean those edges up nice.
I soaked them in dish soap and oxy clean then scrubbed them with a toothbrush...good luck...looks awesome!!!